A Project requiring input

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
WPI2799

Post by WPI2799 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:21 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am part of a group of students working on designing an electronic pressure sensor\meter for squirt guns. We were wondering what other features you value highly in your squirt guns. Our design would include an LED (Light Emitting Diode) pressure display to easily show how much pressure was remaining in the tank. Any input to our design would be much appreciated. We really need to know if this would help sell squirt guns. Thanks, WPI2799

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:36 pm

Welcome to the board, I hope you enjoy your visits!

IMO, waterguns and electronics don't match. Unless I'm the odd man out, I'm guessing Storm "photon beams" don't get used much, same with the Water Warrior's electronic pressure gauges. Probably has to do (I know it does for me) with putting batteries in water guns. I view it as a waste and a hassle, and have only once used electronic water gun features.

If you're committed to putting electronics in a watergun, my two biggest selling points would be that A.It doesn't interfere with the operation or use of the gun (like the secondary triggers on WW guns, or the little light stick compartments in higher level Storms) and B.It's easy to access the batteries - WW guns fare better here, Storms are a pain in the neck to remove the batteries from.

I'm probably not much help when it comes to electronics recommendations...sorry. :(

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:50 pm

As Adrian said, electronics and water guns generally don't mix.

A mechanical pressure guage is well enough for an air pressure water gun. Some have made small mechanical "fullness" (not pressure because pressure is constant) guages for CPS water guns as well (look at the CPS 2500).

An electronic pressure guage won't be a selling point. I'd focus on making balanced water guns: long range, low pumps, lots of water and so on. That "would help sell squirt guns" in my opinion.

Also, posting this topic three times is a waste. We'll find your topic, don't worry. Once was sufficient. :)

WPI2799

Post by WPI2799 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:58 pm

I guess we are looking to see what other electronic features you would like to see on a water gun. We were thinking the pressure gauge plus other features, maybe a display of some sort of other statistics. our bottom line is we are designing something using a pressure sensor.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:38 pm

The only feature requiring the use of electricity I'd like to see probably wouldn't turn out too well. That is, unless you can make a light-weight, high-pressure fast automatically pressurizing water gun that won't get fried when shot. :;):

What is the display going to show? I don't really see how a display could help out that much. If it was a complete display showing pressure chamber water level, reservoir water level and so on, it might be somewhat useful.

I believe you should save the batteries and your money; make a mechanical pressure gauge instead.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:50 pm

^ well, others have already made the standard comment on not wanting to mix electronics and water. However, as stated above, WPI2799 and his group are students, perhaps this is for a course or educational project of somesort?

Well, going totally off ths wall in terms of practicality, if electronics were to be included in a water gun, a pressure sensor for optimal firing as well as an auto-valve shut off when pressure drops below a certain point would be neat (for best soaker performance, no point in holding a trigger until pressure runs below 70% of optimal unless you're cleaning your soaker) Mixing in a reservoir level gauge would be nice. Another neat thing to have could be an angle indicator, letting you know when you've actually tilted your blaster 45-degrees to maximize your range (assuming no wind, of course). Flashlights and GPS systems would be fun, too, but now this is getting a little far from the pressure gauge. :goofy: Hook up the pressure gauge output to a transparent ocular so you don't need to look at the blaster... instead, the stats would show up in your field of vision similar to how video games show ammo levels, etc.

Of course, everything electronic needs to be able to survive getting hit by loads of water. The cost and practicality of such devices don't make it worth it for mass-market production, but maybe neat to see on a single or a handful of soakers.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:23 pm

Now there's an idea, Isoaker. Transparent ocular with pressure and tank levels. I dig it. Sort of like Star Wars:Republic Commando, only...different.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:58 pm

yeah, kinda like those new Laser tag sets.
in video games they're called HUD's or Heads Up Display.

Edit: try to integrate one of These Flashlightsinto the pump handle- they're waterproof and they will charge as the pump moves back and forth.

Edited By BlueMage on 1111885440
-The Wizard of Water

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:24 am

That's pretty clever. Putting a "forever" flashlight into the pump probably wouldn't be that bad, except those things are pretty expensive.
I can kill you with my brain.

If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back!

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:36 pm

A flashlight is a good idea. I got a mini LED on my Storm 500 and am getting a pair of $1.00 flashlights to mod my CPS 2100 and CPS 3200.
Technically as pressure gauge is a good idea for me, except that noise is a big thing. I think that bright lights and noise is the major factor why most Soaker Warriors do not like technology on their guns. Even I have to admit, the EES line was a major bummer because of the simple thing of it giving off sound.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:38 pm

Welcome to the board WPI2799. I am particularly interested in your project as I am studying to be an Electrical Engineer myself. Please update me your project, email me @ [email]xMoonlitSh4dowx@gmail.com.[/email]
Anyway, as to what I value in soakers, concerning electronics. I agree with Isoaker, pressure gauges are always nice, except you generally have to tip the gun on its side to see how much pressure you have; that is with the exception of the Super Soaker XXP 175. I've always considered a laser site to be a great idea if you are thinking on that sort of thing. The Storm Photon Beam was a huge gimmick, it really didn't do anything except light up your stream at night...which only revealed your position which is a stupid idea. So back to the whole laser site idea, it'd be cool to have one which you could turn on and off. Maybe it would be part of a mini scope or something.
Point being:
1) an LED Pressure gauge that was on top of the gun would be cool
2) a laser site or scope would be useful too
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:25 am

I think an electronic button firing system would be cool (although a little over the top) or something to pressurise the guns without pumping, if you could do that a waterfight would be easier and faster paced.

vaporizer

Post by vaporizer » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:34 pm

Give it a big pump volume, and a strong, but slightly smaller than normal PC(about XP 270 sized). If it's strong, it can withstand more pressure, and with a big pump volume, and small PC, can you say, 15 pumps to 40" range? Shot time would be horrible, but the short reload time would make up for it. Just my $0.02 :p

EDIT: Bluemage, what game is that screenshot from? Counter Strike?

Edited By vaporizer on 1112315762
My Armory:
2 MD2K
1 MD3K
1 MD5K
1 Vaporizer
1 XPsed 270 (balloons blew out, and fixed it w. a rubber band)
2 WW Glow- Blasters
1 Spider-Man soaker
1 Flash Flood
1 Triple Shot
1 Gremlin

Coming Soon
Aquapack Devastator
Liquidator

Edited by vaporizer on April 01 2005, 13:10