Story - Comments, feedback, criticism?

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:24 pm

Well, finally finished reading the whole thing. :O All I can say is: wow! Even with it being so long, you still managed to hold my attention throughout. Ever thought of becoming a professional writer? :p Now all you have to do is think of a title...

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:45 pm

Most extremely excellent work, Adrian! Best war story I've read so far. With your permission (and hoping you come up with a title for it), I'd be very happy to push it onto iSoaker.com. Part of me wonders whether you could perhaps provide a rough sketch map of the layout of the locales used in the story. Not necessary when reading it, but it'd be a neat thing to see at the end of reading, not to mention making the reader want to re-read it again, tracing the action on the map as the story goes along.

Excellent work!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:17 pm

Thanks all! Anybody else want to comment?

Isoaker:On the first page there's the map of the main battleground that I carried for the entire fight. I'm definitely going to update that soon. Any other maps you'd like?

Forceuser:Yeah, I'd like to do some more writing. I've got a rough draft for another "war story" in my head at the moment, as well as an outline for a real, fiction novel about the Fourth American Revolution. I'm gonna wait a while and see what I want to do - I promised a band I know that I'd write an album for them and I need to finish that, as well as do some other song-writing.

Anybody have a favorite character (it's ok, don't hesitate to say someone othter than me :;): )? Favorite scene? Any problems, inconsistancies?

Thanks again,

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:59 pm

Oh! Cool.. close-up layouts of the swamp base and treehouse would be neat as well as the parking lot/garage area.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:50 pm

Maps shall be forthcoming. When I redo the already posted map, I'll "zoom out" to (hopefully) include the swamp and "front yard," and possibly the trail leading to "Bartell's." I'll also do a map of the garage area.

Anybody able to tell which parts are real and which are fiction?

Adrian

Edit:Added a title. Water War 5. Boring and generic I know, but it's what we called it.
Isoaker:You can post this on Isoaker.com, but please list the author as "Jared Grey." Thanks. Maps should be posted by this weekend.

Edited By Adrian on 1105379721
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:03 pm

I'll await the maps you're creating before making Water War 5 go live on iSoaker.com, but will begin the process of editing it and copying the text over into the appropriate format.

Thanks!

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:10 pm

The map is up! The links are on the first post of the thread. Due to size restrictions, I drew it on 7 seperate sheets of paper (6 of which were taped together in case people wonder about the weird looking parts). Scale may be a little off, but it's still the best map of that area that exists at the moment. Blue lines are un-official trails, black lines are official trails, black blobs are hills/holes, green space is forest, yellowish orange space is clearing.

I'd still like some more (preferably with some detail) comments. Anybody want to comment?

Thanks,

Adrian

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:51 pm

Odd.. I swore I wrote and replied already, but I don't see it. At any rate, nice maps!

What I plan to do is stitch the large one together, the provide both a thumbnail and a link to a larger (fullsize if the filesize is reasonable) version of the big map and a copy of the other map roughly where that part of the story occurs.

If you push up any more images, please give me a heads up. Otherwise, I hope to have the story formatted and online later this weekend. I'll PM you with an early link before linking it on the News section.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:20 pm

Any other comments from anyone else, now that the story's complete and has been on Isoaker.com for a few weeks? Razor, have you read the whole thing?

What would people be more interested in, a semi-fictionalization of a previous fight, a completely fictional present day fight, or a slightly more futuristic (5-7 years off) story?

Adrian

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:03 pm

Me: I like semi-fictional to fictional present-day-realistic (with some embellishment, of course :goofy:) type stories, but that's me.

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:04 pm

That war sounded great. But it's gotta hurt to have your team split like that. I hope you find a way to keep soaking.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:23 pm

Thanks for all the reviews/comments! Anybody else?

While continuing my other writing, I'm also working on a new "War Story." Fictional, set three years in the future, but still grounded in relatively "today" technology and situations. It revolves around a traditional week long end-of-school fight and the two teams fighting it. I'm trying to branch out in my writing style, and this one's a little different, to the point that it's made me kind of uncomfortable to write at times.

It leans a little bit towards Wetmonkey's Ultimate Story in that the teams are more, um, densely populated. 8-9 v 60 or thereabouts. But don't worry. I've got an extremely plausible explanation for that. The story starts about one month before the fight to build up the characters (one of the things I found I didn't like with WW5 was except for me, no one ever knew the characters). Got some really cool stuff planned, if I decide to add it (there were 2 "deleted scenes" from WW5 that got canned at the end, which no one will probably ever read). Even if I don't add some of the stuff I want to, it'll still be cool. And I'm going to update it more than the last one. Not doing 2-3 huge posts.

All of this is conditional however. Depending on a variety of factors, I may (probably not) scrap it. And it will take a while to write, aggravated by the fact that I messed my hands up pretty good this week. If I don't post on this site much in the near future, it's cause I'm only going on the computer about 3 times a day for limited amouts of time.

Adrian

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:11 pm

^ Me - I definitely look forward to your writings whenever you get the time to put it together. I definitely enjoyed reading your last water warfare story. :cool:

Just ensure to take care of your hands (and the rest of yourself, for that matter)! :goofy: Injuries are rarely fun...

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:53 am

Adrian wrote:It leans a little bit towards Wetmonkey's Ultimate Story in that the teams are more, um, densely populated.
:goofy: Hey! Someone remember's my story! :goofy:

Actually, my story is not dead. i just don't update here anymore. It's all in the SM forums now, however I should get around to finishing it sometime soon...

@Adrian's story. I read the first bit so far, but I just don't have time to read it all. I'll get around to reading it today though, and tell you what i think. So far, very good. I really like your style of writing. Keep it up!

On the amount of people in my story: Yes, there was a lot of people in my story, and that can be sometimes un-realstic, but I grounded it in reality by proposing very realistic and possible methods of obtaining such a large force. As long as you do that Adrian, your story will be very believable.

:soakon:
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!