The art of concealment

General questions and discussions on water warfare regarding tactics and strategies.
Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:55 pm

The Art of Concealment

The Art of Concealment is useful to know if you are a sniper, a scout, a saboteur (setting traps) or just planning a hidden attack. I am not going to say anything as clichéd as saying I have developed concealment to an art form, it was merely for dramatic effect. I thought it worked pretty well!

There are two types of concealment – Concealing Your Identity and Being Completely Hidden.

Concealing Your Identity may not be useful in a water warfare situation (maybe for sabotage or something), but I thought I may as well touch on the subject just in case.

- Hide your eyes, people remember other people through eyes a lot of the time, it is scientifically proven. So wear shades. NOT large flashy ones. Just plain but reflective
ones.

- If it is not sunny, then obviously shades are a bad idea. So bend your head down slightly, don’t make eye contact and only move your eyes slowly, no sudden moves.

- Another good way surprisingly is wear flashy clothes, that way people remember the clothes and not the person.

Being Completely Hidden is a very important skill for any sniper, scout or saboteur to know.

- Wear plain clothes. No bright clothes and not all of the same colour. Anything from tan to black or light green to very dark green is best. Also clothes make noise, go somewhere quite and walk around in jeans, they are REALLY loud. And something comfortable, you may need to stay in one place for a long time.

- The 1ST thing humans see is movement, so DON’T move when your enemies are anywhere near you. Humans can see movement and so in a vast forest will look first at birds flying overhead than you stood immobile by a tree. They won’t notice you unless they look really carefully.

- The 2ND thing humans notice is the head and shoulders outline of a human so BREAK IT UP! If you have a soaker with a strap, tuck small branches into it to hide your outline. But not TOO big.

- DON’T cover yourself with leaves; they rustle even as you breathe.

Night-fighting is an interesting way to battle, and if you are going to fight in one, there are a few adaptations on the guidelines set-out above.

- Don’t just wear black, dark green is far better as it blends fairly well with most foliage. At night you can still see some things, and so all black does is leave a black hole in the air. Obviously painted guns are necessary, and again dark green would be perfect. However if you want a “cooler” looking gun, I suggest dark green and black stripes.
- WARM clothing, something cotton, jogging trousers possibly. NO rustling clothing. Hats are very important (dark green or black), but I wouldn’t suggest gloves unless it is really cold, as they get in the way.

And remember ALWAYS keep your cool, these techniques won’t work if you run away screaming when ten of them walk past you!

Overview

Concealing Your Identity

1). People remember eyes more than faces.
2). Never make eye contact, keep your head down and don’t move your eyes quickly.
3). Wear flashy clothes, people will remember them not the wearer.

Being Completely Hidden

1). Natural looking clothes.
2).Comfortable and quite clothes.
3).Don’t move, humans notice movement.
4).Break up the outline of your head and shoulders.
5). Leaves rustle so don’t cover yourself in them.

Night-Fighting

1). Dark green not black, you can still be seen at night.
2). Painted gun (dark green/ dark green and black)
3). Hat for warmth.
4). Warm clothing (no rustling).
5). Unless absolutely necessary, no gloves.

Edited By Commander_Gaunt on 1107284767

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:20 pm

Nice article, good points brought up. Just two things about it. One: you didn't mention anything about clothes to match the enviroment, all you said to do was to wear dark/green clothes, which wouldn't help much in a brightly coloured enviroment, or any enviroment that's not black or green.Two: you talked a lot about what humans see and notice, but what if you're not fighting humans?*x files music begins to play* Maybe YOU aren't human. Come to think of it, "Guant" doesn't sound like a very human name. You're going down, alien scum! *pulls out phaser rifle and runs off in search of Guant, after calling the CIA, FBI, Starfleet command, and various other military organisations and secret services (which I have absolutely no affiliation with. At all. None whatsoever. I'm not a spy. honestly...)*

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:55 pm

Meanwhile, Commander_Gaunt stands by, wondering who "Guant" is, and why cooldood is rushing round chasing this person...
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:02 pm

I admit my article doen't take into account urban environments, but in one why camoflage? Just hide ur gun wear a hat and no one will give u a second glance. I assumed a natural enviroment with reasonable cover. If your in a flat field, what you wear doesn't matter.

And I'm not alien :suspicious: your an alien, all of you (insert crazed laugh)

but please, at least try and be serious, if you want to write a soaker article on how to identify aliens, be my guest, mine was serious.

Edited By Commander_Gaunt on 1107205408

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:30 pm

I gave a bit of advice, and than try to add a slight bit of humour to my post, and I get gunned down for it. How nice. I play in an city setting, and making my appearance match my surroundings is often needed. For spying and scouting, sniping, ambushes and sneak attacks. If I just hid my soaker, covered my eyes, and wore different clothing, I'd get blasted anyway. Reason being, my friends know that a: at least where we live, people don't go wandering in other peoples back yards. And b: What I look like, the style of clothing I like to wear, my facial features, my height, the way I walk, my hair style, and many other things they could use to pick me out of a croud. City water warfare isn't just open lawn. There's gardens, trees, bushes and hedges, fences, sheds, buildings, and other things that you can hide in/behind. I'd like to see you try to crawl along the road wearing a green shirt and trying not to be seen. It doesn't work. Wearing grey, which matches the enviroment, has proven itself to work for me. Soaking in the city uses just as much stealth as ib the forest.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:05 pm

I learned quite a bit from that, most of which I'll never use in water fighting, but which I shall attempt to apply to my everyday life. Being inconspicuous is something I strive for.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:44 pm

Cool article! The points raised also have their merit, but the article works well on its own if taken in context. After some thought, I've currently chosen to give this article its own page on iSoaker.com and push up links from other related pages (i.e. the Hiding and Camoflage pages) to it. You shall be cited as "Commander Gaunt" (no underscore) unless you inform me that you prefer to be called something else for the purpose of the article. I plan to push it up in the next day or so, thus if you plan on any revisions, let me know so I can postpone uploading and/or let me know that changes were made and I can update the page.

:cool:

Quick query:
If it is not hot, then obviously shades are a bad idea.

I think you meant that if it is not sunny?
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:04 pm

@cooldood - I apologise most sincerely, it was a bad day, but that is no excuse. I myself constatly get in trouble for that sort of thing and am therefore apalled at myself for being a b*****d. Again I am sorry.

@i soaker, Commander Gaunt is fine and I have chaged the mistake you found just now. Anymore suggestions I will change too.