Check out my first battle scenario!

Water warfare tactical scenarios, role-playing threads, and fictional stories.
martianshark

Check out my first battle scenario!

Post by martianshark » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:41 pm

I decided to try making one of those tactical training games. This one is going to be a navel war. Behold my masterpiece:

Your team is on the left side. The river flows slowly downward. The goal for each team is to go across the river, capture the enemy's flag, and bring it to your own flag. If someone trying to steal a flag is shot, the flag is returned to its original location. If you are shot in a boat, you are unable to shoot or help run the boat until you are returned to your respawn point, which is at the very top your side of the map. Once you reach the respawn point, you have to count to 300. If you are shot on your side, you must go to your respawn point. If you are shot on the enemy's side, you are captured and become a hostage.

Each side has an easy-up to sit under. Hostages can be put under the easy up or somewhere else. Someone from the other side can free hostages by touching them. Once a hostage is touched, both of them are safe until they make it to the other side, but they can't steal the flag. Each team has the following boats: Two 2-person paddle boats, two canoes, a bumper boat with a battery powered river cannon mounted on the front, a small motorboat meant to carry four people, a jet ski, four rowboats meant to carry a maximum of three people each, and a small yacht. Each boat needs someone to drive it. Only two people on your team have permission to drive the yacht.

Each team has 20 people. On your team, you have the following guns. The other team is expected to have a similar arsenal.
-2 small stream machines
-2 large stream machines
-1 double barreled stream machine
-A gasoline powered river cannon that can be put on any boat (but not the bumper boat)
-A CPS 2000
-2 CPS 1200s
-A Hydra Pak
-A Colossus
-2 Gorgons
-An APH
-A Monster X
-A Defender
-A Hydro Cannon
-2 Equalizers
-An Ultimate Bandit
-2 Ultimate Renegades
-An Ultimate Outlaw
-A Vindicator
-A Vanquisher
-A CPS 2700
-A WBL

You also have some tubing and pipes that you could do quick mods with. For example, you could extend a gun's intake tube so that it goes down into the river.
Last edited by martianshark on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

atvan

Re: Navel war tactics discussion

Post by atvan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 pm

I don't know about you, but I don't want anybody warring for my belly button. :goofy:
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

martianshark

Re: Check out my first battle scenario!

Post by martianshark » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Come on, nobody cares about boats? I thought it was a cool idea.

Atvan, I have no idea what you're talking about.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:54 am

What happens if a person in a multi-personnel boat gets hit but the rest of his team boat does not?

The thing I noticed is that there are not very many craft that would serve well as beach invasion craft- if the beach is sandy, a metal canoe could be paddled right onto the shore with little trouble, allowing for a quick assault on the shore, possibly before the enemy has a chance to arrive at the position. Most of the craft here are somewhat difficult to drag up onto a beach without having to defend against suppressive fire. For agility to get out of the boats, I imagine it would be best to use some of the smaller weapons until the area is clear and you can get the rest of the guns from the boat, but if the enemy had a heavy gun line waiting on the beach, it would be fairly easy for them to take out at least several of the invading troops before they could draw the boat onto shore. If nothing else, there should be a ship or two with some sort of quick anchor that could be thrown onto the beach from the boat, preventing the boat from drifting and allowing the boat to be easy to access if a quick retreat is required.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Your first question is a big problem. Maybe the other team has to have room on their boat for that person if they want to capture him. If they don't, they don't get to keep him.

The large boat and the motorboat have anchors. All other boats are small enough to be pulled onto shore pretty easily if needed.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:30 pm

So the fighting would cease while the boats pulled up aside each other?
Beware the Purple

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:35 pm

If we use that as the solution, yes.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 pm

OK, first off, awesome idea! I love your scenario, not just a naval water war, but a CTF landing game too! Second, I have some suggestions that would make this work much better.
  • 1. Like Atvan said, the boats you have wouldn't be that great for landing, and some of them, such as the paddle boats, I wouldn't even use at all in my strategy because they are basically sitting ducks. Suggestion for boats: 5 three person canoes (more mobile with just two), 2 four person row boats with raised sides in which can be ducked behind, 3 regular four person row boats, and one three person row boat with a small outboard and motorized water cannon (which takes up one set, hence three person boat).
    2. I like the guns you selected nothing I would change about them, but maybe give both teams a WBL or two - your choice. Oh and lets not forget to attach "floaties" to all the guns, last thing we want is a 2K at the bottom of the river, even if it is an imaginary one. :P
    3. As for capturing people, I think it should work like this: If a person in a boat gets hit, the are injured (unable to attack or help move the boat) until the bout comes back to their home shore and they touch a respawn point. If all people on a boat are eliminated then the boat is a "durelect," all people on the boat must remain on the boat until it is towed by another boat to shore in which case if it is the friendly side then they must respawn, if it is the enemy side they are captured. If some one is shot on there home land, they must go to the respown point, if they are shot on enemy territory then they are captured.
    4. Another idea could be that when some one gets shot they must sit down until some one comes to lead them to the respawn point or the jail (depending weather it is friend of foe).
    4. The respawn point must be far from the shore and flag, a respawn time (like one minute) might also be a good idea. I also think that because of the size of the play area, when the flag bearer is shot they drop the flag in which case it can be picked up by ether team and brought back to the flag spot.
These are all really suggestions, you don't have to use any of them, but I figured I'd help you out improving your idea. I really like this game by the way, I wish I had a spot to do this in real life!
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 pm

If you fall in are you eliminated?
Beware the Purple

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 pm

atvan wrote:If you fall in are you eliminated?
I would say no, but try not to anyway. The whole idea of being hit revolves around staying where you are until you are led by some one else somewhere, sitting in a boat is one thing, but I don't think people would want to be treading water in a river for that long.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:46 am

I move the easy up to where the flag is, so that the flag is under the center of the easy up. The hostages will have to sit out in the sun somewhere. I pull the 3 paddle boats and 4 rowboats to shore and use them as a barricade around the easy up. The enemy will now have to climb over the boats to get to the flag, and the easy up will prevent them from firing arching shots, mortar style, into the base to eliminate my defense.

I will divide my team between in 2:

11 Seadogs
Yacht: My artillery ship with 5 people: river cannon/bandit, APH, 2 large Stream Machines, Vindicator (me)
Motorboat: CPS 1200, Outlaw, Gorgon, Equalizer
Bumperboat: Rivercannon & Defender, Collossus
Jet Ski: unmanned

9 Landlubbers
CPS 2000, CPS 2700, CPS 1200, Monster X, Gorgon, Double Barreled Stream Machine, 2 Renegades, Equalizer

The rest of the weapons will be filled and pumped. They will be kept inside the fort as backups.

Plan of Action
The Seadogs will sail South, hopefully out of sight of the enemy. We will wait until the treacherous vermin land on our shores and let them come to us. Most likely the enemy will be split into 3 parts: 1 to guard the base, 1 to invade, and 1 to stay with the ships after they have landed.

It is highly unlikely that the vermin will have 11 people guarding their ships, so my seadogs will outnumber them. After their assault force is engaging my fort the seadogs will sail N back up the river and attack their navy. We will bombard them from long range from the yacht which will lead the way. If we haven't eliminated/captured their people with our artillery fire we will at least have pinned them down. If that be the case then my motorboat will board her ships (along with a few other dismounts) and will take her at close range.

After their navy has been destroyed, I will dismount all naval personnel and attack the enemy's invasion force from the rear. If they move out of range of my fort then the landlubbers will come out of the fort and attack them. The goal is to pin them between the 2 forces.

Once the enemy invading force has been destroyed we will mount up ALL personel and conduct our own invasion. Half my force will land at A8 and come in from the north. Half my force will land at F8, move through the trees and attack from the south.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:05 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:OK, first off, awesome idea! I love your scenario, not just a naval water war, but a CTF landing game too! Second, I have some suggestions that would make this work much better.
  • 1. Like Atvan said, the boats you have wouldn't be that great for landing, and some of them, such as the paddle boats, I wouldn't even use at all in my strategy because they are basically sitting ducks. Suggestion for boats: 5 three person canoes (more mobile with just two), 2 four person row boats with raised sides in which can be ducked behind, 3 regular four person row boats, and one three person row boat with a small outboard and motorized water cannon (which takes up one set, hence three person boat).
    2. I like the guns you selected nothing I would change about them, but maybe give both teams a WBL or two - your choice. Oh and lets not forget to attach "floaties" to all the guns, last thing we want is a 2K at the bottom of the river, even if it is an imaginary one. :P
    3. As for capturing people, I think it should work like this: If a person in a boat gets hit, the are injured (unable to attack or help move the boat) until the bout comes back to their home shore and they touch a respawn point. If all people on a boat are eliminated then the boat is a "durelect," all people on the boat must remain on the boat until it is towed by another boat to shore in which case if it is the friendly side then they must respawn, if it is the enemy side they are captured. If some one is shot on there home land, they must go to the respown point, if they are shot on enemy territory then they are captured.
    4. Another idea could be that when some one gets shot they must sit down until some one comes to lead them to the respawn point or the jail (depending weather it is friend of foe).
    4. The respawn point must be far from the shore and flag, a respawn time (like one minute) might also be a good idea. I also think that because of the size of the play area, when the flag bearer is shot they drop the flag in which case it can be picked up by ether team and brought back to the flag spot.
These are all really suggestions, you don't have to use any of them, but I figured I'd help you out improving your idea. I really like this game by the way, I wish I had a spot to do this in real life!
1. Okay, you can pretend the 1 person paddle boats are canoes if you want. But that's all I'm changing.
2. I forgot about WBLs. I'll give each team one.
3. Okay. The respawn point is at the top of your side. You have to count to 300. But if you get shot on enemy land, you're captured.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:01 pm

OK, that works, I kind of got carried away with suggestions (I had just gone to some classes where they talked about that too :goofy: ). Anyway, yes I think changing the paddle boats to canoes is a good idea, and I'm sorry I tried to turn this into "Scott's first scenario," if that is all you want to change that will be fine. My head isn't thinking to clear today but I will probably come up with a strategy in a few days.

TacticalTyphoon

Post by TacticalTyphoon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:33 am

martianshark wrote: Your team is on the left side. The river flows slowly downward. The goal for each team is to go across the river, capture the enemy's flag, and bring it to your own flag. If someone trying to steal a flag is shot, the flag is returned to its original location. If you are shot in a boat, you are unable to shoot or help run the boat until you are returned to your respawn point, which is at the very top your side of the map. Once you reach the respawn point, you have to count to 300. If you are shot on your side, you must go to your respawn point. If you are shot on the enemy's side, you are captured and become a hostage.

Each side has an easy-up to sit under. Hostages can be put under the easy up or somewhere else. Someone from the other side can free hostages by touching them. Once a hostage is touched, both of them are safe until they make it to the other side, but they can't steal the flag. Each team has the following boats: Two 2-person paddle boats, two canoes, a bumper boat with a battery powered river cannon mounted on the front, a small motorboat meant to carry four people, a jet ski, four rowboats meant to carry a maximum of three people each, and a small yacht. Each boat needs someone to drive it. Only two people on your team have permission to drive the yacht.

Each team has 20 people. On your team, you have the following guns. The other team is expected to have a similar arsenal.
-2 small stream machines
-2 large stream machines
-1 double barreled stream machine
-A gasoline powered river cannon that can be put on any boat (but not the bumper boat)
-A CPS 2000
-2 CPS 1200s
-A Hydra Pak
-A Colossus
-2 Gorgons
-An APH
-A Monster X
-A Defender
-A Hydro Cannon
-2 Equalizers
-An Ultimate Bandit
-2 Ultimate Renegades
-An Ultimate Outlaw
-A Vindicator
-A Vanquisher
-A CPS 2700
-A WBL

You also have some tubing and pipes that you could do quick mods with. For example, you could extend a gun's intake tube so that it goes down into the river.
Quoted this so that I can quickly refer to it when devising a plan.

Immediately, get 4 of my guys onto the yacht; they will take a Monster X, a CPS 2000, a Vanquisher and a WBL. Also on this yacht will be the river cannon. The immediate objective of this team (for reference, they will be Team Zulu) will be to mobilise that yacht rapidly and head upstream (will be slow I assume due to the downwards current) towards "B6" on the map. Here, their job is to surpress the enemy's defence contingent as much as possible, using their larger CPS weapons and mounted river cannon. At the same time, two guys (CPS 1200 and a Hydra Pak) will use a row boat to go upstream using the heavily armed yacht as cover, up to "7A". Another one of my guys, using an ultimate Renegade, will use a jetski to reach the same point, 7A. With the yacht surpressing the enemy bay with heavy fire, and a portion of the enemy will be mobilised going downstream to my base (presumably), the CPS 1200 and Hydra Pak team will land ashore with the Renegade guy. The three man fireteam will move at quick pace to capture the flag. At this point, the yacht must go closer to the bay, to B7, to provide as much surpressing fire as possible. The Renegade guy will capture the flag, and double time it back to the Jet Ski. The CPS 1200 guy and Hydra Pak guy will stay ashore, essentially sacrificing themselves, to hold off any enemy troops hoping to eliminate our Flag Runner, even if only for 10 seconds. The yacht will then pull away and do its best to provide cover using the River Cannon as the Jet Ski flag runner returns to our base, at E4.

My base must be defended, obviously. Thus, the Motorboat and three of my Rowboats will be pulled ashore to be used as cover around the flag for my defending troops (there are 13 defenders in total, with the other 7 attacking as in the plan above). The Defenders will have access to the CPS 2700, a CPS 1200, a Vindicator, the APH, and all the other weapons not used by the attacking team. Two men of my team will use the Bumper Boat and its Cannon to patrol our bay, hoping to catch maybe a couple of enemy attackers. The rest is simple; my well armed defending team on the shore (11 defenders in total) will be able to handle any attack. Should our flag be taken, the Bumper Boat will move to intercept the enemy, who will obviously need to cross the river via boat.

Victory!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:01 pm

That's a good plan. But I should probably note that the bumper boat is meant to carry one person.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm

4 points to martianshark
2 points to scotthewarrior, marauder4, and tacticaltyphoon

*thread moved to roleplaying*
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Can I get points for my small battles and my contribution to your tactical scenario?

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Check, and check!

You are currently the points leader:
http://www.waterwar.net/site_wwn/wwn_wi ... t_Tracking

JS
WWN League Team: Hurricane X

Post by JS » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 pm

But the river is flowing downward? How to get to the upper opponents base in an unpowered boat?
GLaDOS: Oh, hi. So, how are you holding up? Because I'm a potato!

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 am

Way to necro a thread! XD
Try to check the thread date before you post. This thread has been dead over 8 months.
But, hey, the heck with it.*
I guess the river would be flowing very slowly, or you could treat it as a handicap. It could even be an advantage, forcing the other team to try and avoid drifting towards your (heavily defended) base.
I have actually done something like this at a lake last summer. There was a narrowish section with beaches on both sides, and we had a bunch of people with kayaks. Dodging water blasts without flipping over= mad skills.

*Edit: but the heck with it, that doesn't matter. Onto discussion! Forthwith!
Last edited by soakinader on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.