Tactical Scenario I

Water warfare tactical scenarios, role-playing threads, and fictional stories.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Tactical Scenario I

Post by SEAL » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Kind of felt like making some of these; I want something to do now that I've stopped making comic strips. I would like to crank out a whole bunch of these, with some unique situations.

Scenario I, "In the Shadow of the Mountain"

Here's the deal; you're captain of a large neighborhood team with 19 people. Today you are going to battle your biggest rivals, a team of 14, who embarrassed you last time by swamping you in a OHS game 7-2. This time you are going to have an OHK match. You decide to hold the fight at a new battleground; it seems a little small, but it turns out only 12 people actually showed up on your side. That should give you more fighting room, but unfortunately, the entire rival team showed up; if they beat you so bad when they were outnumbered, imagine what could happen when they have greater numbers!

But you're determined to win this time, plus you're somewhat wiser than before. You have a pretty fair arsenal:

Primaries:
SS 300
CPS 2500C (Camo painted, colossus modded to shoot 55 feet, 5X nozzle drilled out for 35X riot blast.)
XXP 275
SC 600 (Camo painted)
CPS 1700 (X2)
MD 6000 (Camo painted, de-Max-D modded.)
Blazer (Camo painted)
Semi-practical CPH (Similar to JLspacemarine's CPSCAR, except with a backpack; shoots up to 50'.)

Secondaries:
SS MDS
XP 70 (X2) (One camo painted, other nozzle drilled.)
XP 270 (Camo painted)
Piranha (Camo painted)
Aquapak Devastator C (De-Max-D modded, colossus modded to reach 40')
Scorpion

Sidearms:
XP 20
MD 2000 (X6) (3 of them de-Max-D modded)
MD 3000 (X2) (Both de-Max-D modded)
MD 4000 (X3)
Hornet (X2)
Micro SCH (Shoots up to 30')

The other team's arsenal consists of many CPS 2000s (At least 5.), 2 CPS 3200s, a very powerful CPS 21K, an APH, and many other blasters that aren't noteworthy.

I have provided a map of the battlegrounds (Yes, I copied M4's chessboard grid; it makes things easier. :P ).
Link to photobucket page if you can't view the whole image

Note: Each square is about 4,000 square feet.

You start in a clearing in a small patch of forest, marked by the star in A/B-5. The other team starts in an old barn, marked by the red square in F-5. The enemies have a giant water cannon in the barn, capable of shooting at least 90', with 125X output and a 2 second shot time (Takes about a minute and a half to reload.). They also have two Douchenators, which they'll likely keep at the barn, but may bring one on raids.

Most of the battleground has tall grass. Notable areas include the 30' tall cliff in the north end of the battleground, shown in dark gray, with the black circles indicating places where you can get up to the top. There is a large lake in the middle of the field, fed by a stream that comes down from a small pond on top of the cliffs.
Green indicates trees, bushes, and/or other thicky vegetated areas. The light gray lines in the C/D-1/2 area indicate an old ruin of a house; each line represents a stone wall around 6-8 feet high (In most places.), with many holes in them.

What's YOUR battle strategy? For each strategy posted, I will try to come up with a counter-strike.

~SEAL
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

atvan

Re: Tactical Scenario I

Post by atvan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:32 pm

You should pm a starting strategy to iSoaker, unless you have a spy…
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 am

Wow, I LOVE this scenario. It reminds me of a state park outside of Raleigh, with old barns and streams and everything. It's really a shame I never got to fight there, I really want to. I am going to be musing over this strategy for a little while before getting back on to give you a good reply. Can I archive this on the tactical scenario page (and link to this topic) on Hydrowar when I get the chance?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:50 am

atvan: Well, the idea is that I'd simply react to whatever you guys would come up with, but I suppose that I should PM my starting plan to iSoaker, just so you don't think I'm cheating if my plan happens to work out really well against whatever you come up with...

M4: Go right ahead. :)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:35 pm

By the way, this is a micro field. The entire field is 120 ft. long. That barn is about 8ft. by 8ft. Remember, 20ft.x20ft.=400ft^2.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Whoops! I meant to say 4,000 square feet; I'll edit that now. :|
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm

That barn is still pretty small- 20 to 25 feet for each wall.
Beware the Purple

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Bleh, I never was that good at making scale maps. We'll say that the red square isn't actually the barn, it's just a marker for it. Each wall should be about 50 feet or so.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:00 pm

And the house? :goofy:
Just messing with you.

What are the banks like on that creek? Do we have time before to prepare?
Beware the Purple

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:05 pm

I think it's fine how it is...

The banks are mostly mud. There are some places where it's possible to jump over, but most of it is more difficult. What do you mean by time before to prepare? All blasters are filled to the top for the battle, if that's what you mean. If you mean to set up, then yes, you have some time, but everybody must be in their base at the start of the game.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:53 pm

I meant, can we come to the field hours or days ahead and make areas more defensible, quiet, etc.?

I should prob just get over it and make a strategy.
Beware the Purple

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:07 am

I printed this out and showed it to some people on my team over here. This post is on behalf of my SSG Gyovai. This is his plan:

I took into account what the enemy would probably want us to do, which is to push us into their most casualty producing weapon - the big cannon at the barn, and possibly the douchenators. So, obviously, my team wants to avoid this. We want to bring our most casualty producing weapon, which sounds like the CPS 2500C to the front lines.

1. Our team will take all the primary weapons, and distribute the rest of the weapons equally, then move to the creek at B2. Our best atheletes will jump or ford across where possible, and set up far side security while the rest of our forces make their way across slowly, using a log if they have to.

2. Once everyone is across we will sprint to the run down house at D1. We will keep the heavier, slower weapons, like the SS 300 and CPH here along with half of the team.

3. I will establish an OP (Observation point) in the woods at D2/D3 with my most casualty producing weapon, the CPS 2500C, and the more mobile CPS 1700s, and Aquapack Devastator, along with 2 other soldiers. The OP will watch for enemy activity in the field to their 3 O'Clock, which cannot be seen from the house. They will also observe all other directions, although these can be seen from the house. Any suspicious activity will be reported via cell phone to the commander, me, in the house. If the enemy is sighted within 15 minutes of establishing the OP, we will try to ambush from the woodline.

4. If we see the enemy is not sighted within 15 minutes of establishing the OP both teams will begin sweeping towards the barn. The line of movement will be along the edge of the woodline, going from D1 to E5, although we will put a scout following us in the woods to watch our 3 O'Clock. The house squad will be Alpha squad, the OP squad will be Bravo squad. Alpha takes the lead. If Alpha takes contact they will seek to gain fire superiority with the SS 300, CPH, etc. and hold the enemy in place. Meanwhile, Bravo squad will bound forward and flank the enemy from the rear, with the more mobile heavy weapons. This time, I will go with Bravo squad, with the CPS 2500C as my personal security. This way I can direct our most destructive weapon once contact is made. We will continue sweeping until we get to the barn, surround, and attack. If all enemy combatants are not destroyed we will sweep back through the map.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Part 1:
As soon as the battle started, I would send 4 people across the stream and to the house. Once there, two would take up positions inside the house (if the house can not be entered then on the left and right sides, toward the front). The other two would be a little north of the house (like 50ft). (I am assuming that north is up). Then I would leave two on the west side of the forest that we started in and the rest of us would head up the eastern part of the cliffs that we could clime up.

The two we left at the southeast of A4:
If the two that we left behind spotted the enemy, they would engage once they came in range and slowly retreat up the cliffs. They would head for A2, then the next part of the plan would kick in.

The four at the house:
If the enemy never came, or they held them off they would just stay there until part 4.
If the enemy came, they would try to stop them at the house, if the 2 in/on the sides of the house got driven back or if the enemy went around them, the two farther back would hold them off while the two front guys retreated back to them. If the enemy headed to the east to cross the stream, the four house guys would slow them down until the stream, then try and hold them there. If they couldn't they would run to the two we left behind, then form a defense at the base of the cliffs. After trading a few shots, they would run up the cliff, go to A2 and wait for part 2.
If they tried to go up the other side, they would hold them at the top of the cliffs.

The guys who went to the cliffs:
One group of 2 would go to A2, the other, a group of 4 would go to A4 in the woods on top of the cliff. They would both wait for part 2.

Part 2:
When they guys who stayed behind come up the cliffs and toward A2, the guys on top of the cliff at A4 would follow behind them once they got to the top. When the enemy approached A2, the guys hiding them would come out and join the retreating guys, then the guys at A4 would hit them from the rear and sandwich them.

Part 3:
a few team members, with some of the better guns, would be left at the top of the cliff at B3, the rest would go down and retake the house. The lighter armed team members would come first and draw their fire, the guys with big guns would set up in the rear, and then come in guns a blazing. While they charged, the lighter armed guys would run around the house to the sides and front to flank the enemy. If the house was never taken, skip this part.

Part 4:
A couple teammates would be sent back to B3, to inform the guys what is going on, these guys would come around to F6 and stage a Mock attack on the enemy. The rest would head to the woods at E4. After the mock attack began, they guys at E4 would attack the barn from the rear.
Now they are all soaked, ha ha ha, I win! :soaked: :cps2500:

Nice scenario by the way, good map. Sorry my strategy is kinda long, but I like to have complex strategy's, that way, with all the cris crossing, you've already got a fall back plan in plan A.

Edit: Woops, the bold stuff is now fixed, this sites HTML code is a little different then that of MOCpages, this LEGO site I use.
Last edited by scottthewaterwarrior on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 am

This post is on behalf of SPC Tredway, our 240 gunner. This is his plan.

I would put a scout by the lake at C6. The rest of my team I would split: 5 would stay at the starting point by the star. 6 would go up the cliffs and stop at the far side of the cliffs near the entry point at B1.

Using our line of site we would try to catch the enemy by surprise. If the enemy comes up the east side of the map, my team on the hills would exit the hills, come behind them, and attack their rear while they engage my team at the starting point. If the enemy comes to the east side of the map, we will hold them off with the cliff team, and flank them with the team from the starting point.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 am

Great strategies guys! I will post counter-strikes for each one once everybody's done posting.

M4: Wow, it's nice to see that I can make you guys' lives more interesting over there! :lol:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:37 pm

One problem I am noticing is that there is no reason for the enemy to ditch the barn, and such a defensive fortification could be a big problem in the endgame. And so I will play this like chess.

Later.
Beware the Purple

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 am

atvan wrote:One problem I am noticing is that there is no reason for the enemy to ditch the barn, and such a defensive fortification could be a big problem in the endgame. And so I will play this like chess.
Ugg, I hate chess, I can't play it at all. Stratigo on the other hand, I am a master! That's probably part of why I am better at defensive strategy.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:09 am

This is my actual plan.

Thoughts: We must make up for being outnumbered and outgunned.

Objective: We will beat the enemy using a guerrilla war that will bleed them of troops until we have "fire superiority." We will rely on superior terrain, organization, and intelligence to claim victory.

In order to gain superior intelligence I want maximum observation of the enemy. I will send a camouflaged scout with a camo XP 270 and cell phone/radio to C6. Scout is to hide in the brush by the lake and observe any enemy movement from the barn. My second scout will be using a camo SC 600 (hopefully mk2) and radio/cell phone and will be sent ahead to the forest in D1. The scout will report on enemy movement up the Western flank of the battlefield, through the southwestern woods, and through the open field in the center D/E squares.

Troop Organization: 2 scouts (1 with XP 270, 1 with SC 600). Ambush Squad with 5 members using CPS 2500C, CPS 1700 x2, MD 6000, and Aquapack Devastator. XP 70 w shotgun and SS MDS will also be brought. Blackjack Squad with 5 members using SS 300, XXP 275, Blazer, CPH, and Pirahna as main weapons. Will take other weapons with them to first position.

Ambush Squad: is concerned with the western portion of the battlespace. Ambush squad will move across the creek at B3 as quickly as possible. The team will proceed to the abandoned house and occupy it. Ambush squad will hide out in the house and remain out of site. If squad commander gets word that the enemy is moving towards them then a near ambush will be performed from the abandoned house. Even if the team is outnumbered, the heavy weaponry and superior position should make up for it. Ambush Squad's Scout will remain in hiding in the woods and wait for combat to ensue. The scout will attack the enemy if they retreat from the house, or if they are completely preoccupied with attacking the house and he is able to attack from the rear undetected.

If the enemy passes out of range of the house towards the creek, Ambush squad will move from the house and quickly attack the enemy while they cross the creek. If the enemy passes out of range of the house and moves to the cliff trail at B1 then Blackjack squad will use elevation to rain shots down on the enemy while Ambush squad attacks their rear, surrounding them.

Blackjack Squad: will move up the cliffs and proceed to build a bridge or some kind of ford across the creek. After this, they will take up cover and concealed position on the cliffs, remaining out of enemy site, but using the height of the cliffs to observe any any movement possible in the northern hemisphere of the map.

If the enemy moves up the eastern side of the battlespace the scout with the 270 will report their movement. Blackjack Squad will not reveal itself until it can attack and eliminate the enemy. This means no attacking unless the enemy is trying to ford the creek or move up the cliffs. If Ambush Squad fears it is about to be over run (they take too many casualties), Blackjack Squad will rush down the cliff trail at B1 and attack the enemy's flank.

We will not move towards the barn until we have fire superiority. Once we gain a decisive edge in mumbers (say over 33% more) then we will reform our plan and move on the offensive - but only sticking to the woods and being silent. When we have wittled down their forces enough to attack the barn we will disperse and attack from all sides. This way their heavy weaponry cannot take out multiple friendlies at a time. If only one side of the barn is open then we will still surround it, and the troops on the walled off sides of the barn will sneak around the walls and attack the open side from the corners.
scottthewaterwarrior wrote:
atvan wrote:One problem I am noticing is that there is no reason for the enemy to ditch the barn, and such a defensive fortification could be a big problem in the endgame. And so I will play this like chess.
Ugg, I hate chess, I can't play it at all. Stratigo on the other hand, I am a master! That's probably part of why I am better at defensive strategy.
I LOVE Stratigo.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:28 am

So is everybody done posting strategies? If so, I will start posting counter-strikes next week.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:15 pm

I'll post one this weekend.
Beware the Purple