2-man "heavy" water blasters

Water blaster concepts and dream designs for water guns and related equipment.
Jawley

2-man "heavy" water blasters

Post by Jawley » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:27 pm

Recently I was at a large water fight, where everyone was meeting up for the end of the school year, so about 40 people went. I recently posted a new water gun I had just finished which was a piston gun. During the water fight, the piston extended too far for me to push, so I asked a friend to help carry it and aim. Even though the reason it was used by 2 people was because the gun I built was leaky and had problems, using 2 "troops" increased its range by about %70 and aiming was a lot easier, since my friend only had to aim, not shoot.

I believe 2 man "machine guns" could be used in some sort of tripod mounted water gun where there is a heavy duty hand cranked pump (Yes, I know hand crank pumps aren't practical but with another person cranking it could be worth a try) and a gunner. This would mean that the gun could have high output and high ranges without sacrificing accuracy because the gunner or aimer would not have to crank and would simply just focus on getting the target and loading. Even if this sacrifices mobility, using 2 people to power a gun could compensate for lack of movement with heavily increased range in piston guns, for example where one person could use all his or her strength to push a plunger.

DX

Re: 2-man "heavy" water blasters

Post by DX » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:48 am

The only problem with this approach is what the opponents do - split up and attack from different directions. The lack of mobility is a major problem that increased range doesn't solve, if you can't bring it against both of them. A smaller soaker with high shot time can easily hold off people in multiple directions at the same time.

This would only work in a chokepoint that the defense never has to move from, or in a defensive position that again, requires no movement. Personally, I'd rather have 2 people with smaller soakers than 2 people on one large soaker. The extra player able to move independently can do a lot more damage. At this year's Soakemore, when it was my team's turn to defend the hill at Carderock, the other team tried to use a 3 man sling launcher. Not only was it completely ineffective, but it took several people off the attack and gave the defense free time on the clock. If they'd put everyone up front and just attacked hard, they would have won the round.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Jawley

Post by Jawley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:20 am

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. What I was thinking of for a heavy blaster was a sort of piston type heavy "Machine gun" where it would have extremely large output and still decent range with 2 people manning it. I think the reason my friend and I were so effective with my homemade was because we set up on top of a hill, where we had increased range and opponents couldn't move as quickly, so we could just sweep and mow them all down. I was thinking this would be useful for defense, because you could set up a fortification and then mobility wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Thanks for the feedback!

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:00 am

DX, of course you'd bring up the WBL at Soakemore when it was clearly used as a joke and for 5 minutes of shits and giggles.

Jawley, the 2-man heavy you're thinking of is probably a pneumatic water balloon launcher, but try as we might, we cannot make them work effectively in wars.

The best defensive positions are the ones up high, especially one that can only be attacked from a single direction. Get enough water, have a blaster with sufficient range, and there's really not much way to attack it.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Jawley

Post by Jawley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Hmmm, I was thinking more like the large piston gun or I made that you replied to. Maybe if you put a gear and drilled notches on the plunger one person could crank the gear it with two hands while the other aimed? The "gunner" would only have to aim and that would offset the motion of hand cranking, and the increased force of the piston due to the crank and the person using both hands to crank it would provide more output and range. So, a two man piston gun could probably defend a choke point or hill (or fortification) pretty well, as its large output and enhanced range due to another person operating the plunger would give it capabilities to "mow down" waves of attackers.

As for a pneumatic water balloon launcher, if someone could make a powerful hand cranked pump 2 people in operation could probably minimize the reload time with the 2 people cranking the pump quickly. I've never operated a WBL before but I'm assuming that a 2 people cranking an efficient pump could make the pumping time 30 or 20 seconds. This could be better used as an assault gun, since you could essentially bombard through fortifications from a safe distance away.