The Nerf Advantage - ^

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:41 am

Check out the official Nerf Website.

It's newer, flashier, and the blasters seem more advanced in terms of design (though I can't say I'm that fond of how they chose to assemble their 'Unity' system). As well, they even have Nerf Guns with built in lights to promote use at night for night fights unlike the only Super Soakers we've seen having lights that served no useful purpose.

Unfortunately for the soaker crowd, soakers are considered seasonal items. Nerf, on the other hand, can be used all year round. Nerf also has the advantage that it's much easier to push a solid foam dart or rocket farther without the same problems encountered when pushing a stream of water out.

*sigh*

Guess I'm just getting a little impatient waiting for more updates when it comes to Super Soakers and Water Warriors.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:14 am

Nerf has definitely some advantages over soakers, namely the facts that, as you say, Nerf can be used all year round, and also that they can be used indoors more readily. Thus Nerf wars can in theory start very quickly, with no reliance on weather conditions or such matters.

The other point, as you mentioned, is that the range of Nerf guns is generally much better than soakers. Shame that we don't have soakers that fire 60' level...though that's already been discussed.

The disadvantage of Nerf for me if the absence of supercannons. Running round with a Nerf AirTech 2000, albeit modded, doesn't seem to have quite the same attraction for me as swaggering around with a CPS 3000/Monster X... :p

Added to that is the fact that Nerf ammo requires preparation/purchase...I like the fact that for soakers, you "just add water".
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:21 pm

I agree with spinner on pretty much everything he just said. sure nerf gets better range, but that just takes a lot of the strategy out of it. Basicly, I nerf to pass time when I can't soak. For overall fun level, I think soaking beats nerf into the ground.

Shadowstrike Prime

Post by Shadowstrike Prime » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:14 pm

Wow... that thing is cool.
"...Yes."

LMS-NERFER

Post by LMS-NERFER » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:45 pm

Obviously I am A nerfer, and I think your wrong, not just because I am stubborn, but because , like the nae of the topic states, Nerf has many advantages over soaking. For one thing, range.Our average pistol goes about 35 feet, and some of your best gun go the same. If you buy a rifle, like a bbb, or an xbow, You cn get 60 feet stock, and than after modding (customizing to increase performance, looks, etc)you can get al least a good 150 feet.Here, why dont you guys check out the REAL nerf websites, nice and unofficial. http://www.nerfhaven.com is a good one, along with http://www.nerfhq.com , and http://www.nerfworld.com .I am last_man_standin_ on these site's forums.I am not really that much of a soaker, but I do have an artic chill, and, in the summer, it is fun, but with nerfing, infinitely more options are open. For instance, with modding, I dont know if you guys mod your water guns, but if you dont, you should find a way to. Part of the reason I love nerfing is because you can customize your blasters like nobody elses, and be unique. Also, modding makes it not just about going out and shooting each other, but about pushing your gun to the edge. Shooting a soaker and nailing someone from 40 ft away is good fun and all, but hitting them with YOUR customized bullets, out of the gun you put ours of manwork ,and a gun which symbolizes your fighting style,into is ambrosia.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:22 pm

Obviously I am A nerfer, and I think your wrong

Grammar aside, which 'you' are you referring to?

At any rate, arguing Nerf vs Soaker isn't really a good one since it's all about personal preference. I'm sure a paintballer, AirSoft user, Laser Tag player, etc. can all give reasons why they prefer their own particular game choice.

As for seeing the REAL Nerf sites: been there, done that, even ran a mini-Nerf site for awhile. In the end, while I have a handful of Nerf guns and have had some great Nerf battles, soaking still rules IMO! Doesn't mean that Nerf or other battle games are bad, just not my preference.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:19 pm

Of course we mod our guns. Do some searching; you'd find SSCentral, with modifications, repairs, homemades (talk about power) and more. We can "customize our blasters like nobody else's". Oh, mods aren't new, man... ???

The topic was entitled "The Nerf Advantage": this indicates that Nerf has at least one advantage over soaking. It doesn't mean soaking doesn't have advantages over Nerf.

We can't be "wrong" as you call us, since we're simply stating and explaining our preferences between sports. As someone who has been to all those sites (even posted a bit on NHQ) and has both Nerf guns and Super Soakers, I can state, correctly, that I prefer Super Soakers.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:26 pm

Hello last_man_standing, I am also a nerfer, and go by cooldood31 on Nerf Haven, and visit NHQ regularly. What you just said is pure trash. No nerf gun can get 60 feet unmodded, and only 2 nerf guns ever made can hit the 150' mark. Most get 70'-100'. Pistols get anywhere from 30'-80'. If you think theres no personalising in soaking, you should take a look at my max-d 6000, and the soakers in the gallery at sscentral. Also, nerf has never been just about just shooting eachother, it's about having fun. I do agree that a nerf gun reprisents the user's "fighting" style, but it is the same in soaking. I use light blasters in both nerfing and soaking because I like to stay mobile. But as I said, range takes a lot out of the game. Sure, you may have a nerf gun that can shoot 150' and peg a guy from 100', but it's way more fun to actually get in close and actually get into the game. One major thing soaking has over nerf is that the technology keeps advancing, where as nerf stays with the same piston and air pressure technology year after year. Really though, comparing nerf to soaking is like camparing basketball to soccer, apples to oranges. They're just different. Now, if you have nothing smart to say, I would appreciate if you didn't say anything at all.

And nerf darts are far from being bullets

Edited By cooldood31 on 1108316768

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:12 am

I'm also rather suspicious of your motives in coming here (Nerf-crusading comes to mind somewhat). Was it just to tell us that Nerf is better, we should mod our guns, and there are unofficial Nerf sites? Please do some proper web searches first... ???

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:41 am

To all of this thread's posters: let's step back a bit and breathe before this gets too heated.

Any non-soaker crusader should know it is pointless to enter a soaker forum to try to convert others to some other sport. Those new to online Soakerdom may not know of all the beauty and intracasies of soaking so I'd rather show them what us water warriors do than belittle their own game. They may end up still preferring their own sport which is fine as we prefer ours. Nothing wrong with having preferences. However, if preference is due to lack of knowing what is there, I'd rather share information between the different sport groups to see what is compatible and what isn't. While there are many differences between soaking and Nerfing (for example), there are also many similarities.

This thread was started since I felt a need to point out some reasons why soakers appear to get a little less attention from the companies than Nerf-type products (mostly due to being seasonal), but it wasn't created to create a rift between related activities.

LMS-NERFER

Post by LMS-NERFER » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:57 pm

I agree with isoaker_com, Lets not get too fiesty. cooldood31, What I said is not trash at all.I said an average stock nerf pistol gets 35 feet, and you said they get anywhere between 30-80 feet. How is that trash? And Im sure If YOU did a little reaserch, no offence intended, youd find that Titans, bbb's, and sm5k's all get at least 60' stock, and I think a titan gets more.And More than two guns ever made can get 150.Modded bbbs, x-bows, titans, and sm5k, when modded to full potential can get 150.And, I never said that there was no personalizing in soaking, I said I didnt know if you guys modded your guns or not. And Trust me, nerf gets up close and personal too, but most of us would rather challenge our aim, and war at maybe 50 ft, than just unleashing one spray of watery death, much closer. Dont tell me it aint fun to nail some sucker from 80 feet away!And no, Im not just coming here to recruit new members, at NerfHaven, We closed registration because there were too many newbies, why would I be trying to get more? I simply Found this sit while surfing the web. And now, I wll look at sscentral.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:10 am

^ Yeah right. My homemades got like 130 at most (not that that was their "full potential"). My Max Shot is gets about 105 - 120 flat each time and I've modded it well beyond what most are. Then again, at 23 pumps, the Titan's average 180 feet is the most ideal we've seen. (my point is, guns easily can shoot that far, but not be very useful compared to other ones)

I'd also highly suggest LEARNING TO SPELL and use proper grammar. On a forum, many times people judge your interlect by your ability to spell things, correctly or incorrectly. Right now they're taking you as a fool.

No offense, but I believe they closed registration because of members like you! Reading your posts, you've got some work to do. And don't go tell me all about Nerf, I joined nearly NH nearly exactly a year before you did, and I browse the site pretty much since it's start (though I'll admit, I never browsed NO).

Let's get back on the topic of how Nerf is taken more seriously that water gunning for the few reasons iSoaker mentioned. :goofy:

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:07 pm

Xbows (over rated) and bbb's get 130 tops.

"nerf gets up close and personal too" Um, I think I would know, seeing as I carry a foam covered cpvc sword into most nerf battles (along with my other weapons, of course).

"than just unleashing one spray of watery death" I'd hardly call a 2.5x stream a spray of watery death, especially when only snap shooting.

"We closed registration because there were too many newbies" Registration was closed to lighten up the load for CX until Karma is activated.

LMS-NERFER

Post by LMS-NERFER » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:39 pm

Sorry about my grammer, Doom, I though I now see my errors, but whatever.Also, we closed registration (yes) to lighten Cx's Load, But also Because too many newbies were trolling, and just posting spam.You basically said the same thing I did, In different words. The load bothering him, was the nOOb user who didnt know heads from tails, Typed lyk dis -_-!!!111one!!!, and made topics about stupid questions they could've gotten the answer to by typing it in the search box. Cooldood, I dont know why you seem to dislike me so much, but What I said was true. Oh, and I was joking when I said "stream of watery death", and bbb's get more than 130'.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:10 am

That's an improvement? ???

No offense to anyone at NH, but most people there are just plain annoying. 3/4 of them are little kids trying to act cool, and the remaining 1/4 actually know what they are talking about. I'm not sure when poor writing skills became an acceptable standard there (since you seem to be bragging as the "poster" member). I'm also sure that what you're writing now is in defense and when posting is taken like that, it doesn't always turn out pretty.

:goofy:

Edited By Doom on 1108585168

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:10 am

I ain't much of a nerfer. I tried Nerf kind of guns when it first became very popular 92-93. After loosing the projectiles constantly, making it look somewhat incomplete, I went back to water guns.

The main advantage I would see in Nerf would be the fact that its usable indoors and its entertaining to just simply shoot at stuff for target practise. Something that went lost with the Super Soaker franchise apearing. If you have no one to fight against, your soaker becomes a dust magnet.

Personaly, I consider Airsoft or a plain Slingshot superior as indoor and Target entertainment, but if you are under 16 or 18, nerf would be the realm to go. Now having said that, I prefer Water guns over Nerf.
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:57 pm

Doom wrote:I'd also highly suggest LEARNING TO SPELL and use proper grammar. On a forum, many times people judge your interlect by your ability to spell things, correctly or incorrectly. Right now they're taking you as a fool.

Better watch that "interlect." :goofy:

When making posts like that, it is imperative that you do not make a mistake yourself.

Edited By Hyperion330 on 1108699091
I can kill you with my brain.

If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:06 am

Not really. If someone points out an error in my posts (and they're quite common actually), I'd be more than happy to fix them. Why? Because I'm only asking people to make more of an attempt at spelling and using grammar correctly. That and everyone makes little mistakes. They happen. :cool: