Did some range testing today, CPS & Homemades

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
TylerK

Did some range testing today, CPS & Homemades

Post by TylerK » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:16 pm

See attached image/graph for listed data. Maybe someone will find this interesting, just my findings.

I know it's somewhat subjective what "effective range" is, so I make no claims for effective range, just last drops and puddles. I have found anything with a k-mod breaks up the stream more. The CPS 1200 ranges are interesting; even though the mk2 technically is slightly farther the mk1, the mk1 has a better, more cohesive stream that delivers more water overall farther. And out of 3 CPS 2500's I've tested they are always around the 40ft mark for the x5 nozzle. The CPS1000 that's k-modded does NOT have the to original nozzle or laminator.

No breeze at all, just a still, sunny AZ morning. 100ft tape measure used.
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-06-03 12.02.12.png
Screenshot 2017-06-03 12.02.12.png (166.96 KiB) Viewed 3274 times

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Did some range testing today, CPS & Homemades

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Interesting results! What does the 5/16" 6" long refer to? Is that a special nozzle assembly you've designed?

I've been more interested recently in seeing how different guns age. I remember some talk a while ago about how some guns seem to improve performance over time while others don't. Any thoughts?
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:22 pm

The 5/16" (could be 3/8") is a 6 inch long smooth brass tapered nozzle I found last year (the threads in the homemade section has a picture of it on a gun). It's produces a very thick stream of water with only a short shot time but gives incredible range and cohesiveness. It empties the 3/4 gallon capacity on the 'splashzooka' in about 3-4 seconds or so. It empties the 56oz chamber in the CPH just under 3 seconds.

I haven't observed enough to determine if there is increasing performance with age. I couldn't see LRT improving with age, wouldn't the stretchy-ness decrease? The only gun above that I've had for years is the k-modded 1000 (since 2008), but again the laminator+nozzle had to be replaced due to damage (loaned out and got clogged with grass). From my limited observation maybe the spherical LRT maintains/increases while cylindrical LRT decreases???? I get good results out of my 1000/1200/1700 but every ancient CPS-2500 I've held seems gets 40-42 ft max.

I have wondered (but doubt) if weather conditions like humidity or barometric pressure have any affect on stream performance.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:23 pm

TylerK wrote:From my limited observation maybe the spherical LRT maintains/increases while cylindrical LRT decreases???? I get good results out of my 1000/1200/1700 but every ancient CPS-2500 I've held seems gets 40-42 ft max.
Actually, this was exactly what I was thinking! I know I've seen a lot threads about replacing LRT for cylindrical guns (CPS 2000 especially). It seems that cylindrical fatigues more quickly, so perhaps the expansion method matters. It could also be that LRT is only available in tubes, so nobody posts threads about replacing spherical chambers. It would be interesting to check back in time for what ranges were reported before years ago and see if this is true.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

TylerK

Post by TylerK » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:05 pm

It's hard to 100% rely on old measurements (except for like iSoaker's, etc...), especially if it was some 13 year old making claims on an old forum post. Because everybody has a different standard they are measuring too; last drop, puddle, effective, was there any WIND..... an undetected breeze can throw off a measurement +/- 15ft!
But it can give us an general idea. :)

I so wish there was a good source for spherical LRT bulbs, it would be so much fun to play/build something with that!

I also wish there was a source for cylindrical LRT that had the bubble built into it like Larami CPS products had. Would make my life so much easier! A consistent spot where the expansion started!

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:46 am

Check out my website. Most of the reviews have used multiple blasters to get the stats listed. I've even incorporated data from a few board members whenever I know the testing procedures are the same as mine.

You have a crazy powerful 1700!

My problem with 2000s and 2500s hasn't been the cylindrical firing chamber, but the firing valves. They either leak or only open half way (my 2000 only shoots about 20 ft right now because of this) and then I have to fix them. Super annoying.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Interesting results with the 1200s. Every MK2 and MK4 I've seen shoots about 4-8ft less than MK1s and MK3s. Are you sure that you've properly identified them? MK1/3 are traditionally thought of as having nozzle covers that are "not glued", but in fact the sides can be glued...it's just a whole lot less glue than in the MK2/4s and the covers still pry off easily. The internals are actually quite different, and not just in color, some of them are different sizes and incompatible with those of the other mark. However, that is a fairly small sample size, and could still be chalked up to factory variation.

Soakers still have pretty extreme variation between models of the same type for reasons that aren't well-known. My best 2000 still hits mid-50s and my worst one hit mid 40s, they are presumed to be internally identical. Meanwhile, that is the exact same bladder used in 2500s and MXs, which are lucky to ever hit mid 40s.

And yeah, all of my 2000s are down with valve problems. They still hold pressure when pumped to 75% or less, but if pumped above, they leak it all flat. Annoying...
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers