Official Water Warriors Gargantua Thread

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Official Water Warriors Gargantua Thread

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:06 am

Please use this topic to discuss the WW Gargantua from now on. Use the 2016 Water Warriors thread to discuss the line as a whole, availability, etc.

iSoaker has a mostly complete review up. I still haven't seen anywhere, online or in store, that's selling it yet. Of course, it's only January 19th.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Redd

Re: Official Water Warriors Gargantua Thread

Post by Redd » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:20 am

I also posted this in the 2016 WW thread, but the Gargantua appears to be available at Walmart as I purchased one a week ago. At least it is if you live in Cedar Falls Iowa. I haven't had a chance to test the blaster, because I live in a college dorm room and the wind chills have been consistently below zero all week.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Do you go to UNI? Y'all had 2 great basketball wins earlier this season over UNC and Iowa State.

Would you be able to take some pictures for us? That'd be awesome.

How's the handling? It looks like it is superior to the Waterlord, Gorgon, and other similar large BBT blasters.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:18 pm

I was actually in Walmart today, but I forgot to look for these. I'm not sure I'd buy one though. 2X is too small for me and anything bigger would probably not shoot for long enough to be worth it, especially considering that iSoaker mentioned pump lag. It also appears my concerns with the trigger grip area were valid. I was a little disappointed to see that BBT took a step backwards after the excellent P2/C2 grips. Like seriously, what is the point of having the grip enclosed? I have pretty large hands so I don't think that would be too comfortable. Though maybe it'll be like my MD 6000 where I can just wrap my pinky around the bottom.

All minor complaints though, and I'm sure this will make a decent light primary. I feel like it'll be similar in power to the Vanquisher, only a lot more comfortable at the expense of not having a shot that lasts for ten years.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Redd

Post by Redd » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 am

Yes, I do go to UNI. I wish I was more interested in basketball since our team is so damn good, but the big wins are still exciting.

Here are the pictures:

Xbox 360 Controller for scale

Features a 1x, 2x, and 3x nozzle.

The handling is average. It is much more comfortable to handle than previous WW blasters like the Vanquisher or all of the blasters with the trigger in the way way back. It's not without issues. The trigger isn't very comfortable, and your finger would likely be sore after some use. Plus, they have that restricted grip thing going again to ensure anyone over their target age can't fit their hands on the grip comfortably.

Build quality is so so. The Gargantua looks like a dollar store blaster, but the build quality isn't quite that bad. However, it is a noticeable drop from the Super Soaker blasters.

I did have a chance to shoot this thing across the room at a towel. Stream zipped out with good force and hit the towel with a sting. But I still haven't shot at something more than 10 feet away, and I probably won't until I visit home sometime. For now, I'm rating this as a nice little rifle on par with previous WW blasters and some XP's.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:49 am

Thanks for the update.

The grip enclosure does look very small upon closer inspection. That is disappointing. I actually like the look of it.

I wish BBT would emphasize PC and pump volume size over reservoir size. They keep giving us these guns that pack a ton of ammo but skimp on pump volume and PC size. I guess that they are worried about kids being too add and not wanting to pump for an extended period of time or being too weak to use larger pumps. The thing is that with constant pressure you really don't even have to pump it up all the way (although you should).

How do you think the Gargantua compares to the Colossus and Colossus 2?

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:07 pm

To solve the pumping problem BBT should make something like the old scorpion. Speaking of which does anyone have internal pictures of the scorpion? I really want to know how the autopump mech works.
super soaker cps 2000......SUPER SOAKER CPS 2000!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!one

Redd

Post by Redd » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:32 pm

Don't have a Colossus, so I can't compare the two. But I do have a Colossus 2. I don't know exactly how far the Gargantua can fire, so I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine the Gargantua would have a slight edge just because of CPS tech. The two blasters probably perform very similarly though. However, the C2 is much more comfortable to use, and if you really want something that is comfortable to use I'd say the two blaster are close enough that you'd prefer a C2.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:43 pm

I bought one yesterday as soon as I saw it, I was going to drill the small stream out to 11/64ths (CPS 5x) today but was thwarted because I couldn't find a drill and the fact that the stream nozzles are conical!!! I now plan to use a spacer instead and judging from the stock power this thing has it should be pushing standard CPS class range for a 5x with a 1 - 2 tap/pump ratio. The stock large stream (2x) meanwhile gets a respectable 5 - 4 ratio without any noticeable drop off and should push very high 30's to low 40's. Handling wise it feels light in the hands even when full, running with it feels like a non factor, aims quickly, the trigger grip is just large enough for my hands (although gloves made it a finger too short) the pump grip however is massive mostly to achieve a respectable stroke..
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:30 pm

First round of stats -

Gargantua
23" x 3" x 9"
Reservoir: 80 oz / 2365 ml
PC: 6.6 oz / 195 ml
Pump Volume: 0.8 oz / 24 ml
Pumps to 100%: 8 to 9 (average was 8.25)
Range & Output still being measured

Here's how that matches up to other guns its size

SC 600 mk2
23″ x 3.5″ x 9.5″
Reservoir: 37 oz
PC: 23 oz
Pump Volume: 1 oz
Range: 37 ft (1.8 oz)

XP 150
23.5″ x 4″ x 12″
Reservoir: 51 oz
PC: 24 oz
Pump Volume: 2.8 oz
Pumps to 100%: 8 or 9
Range: 35-36 ft (3.4 oz)

Lightning
21″ x 4.5″ x 10″
Reservoir: 37 oz
PC: 14 oz
Pump Volume: 1 oz
Range: 36 ft (1.1 oz) to 39 ft (2.2 oz) to 37.5 ft (4 oz)

Colossus
24.5″ x 4″ x 9″
Reservoir: 62 oz
PC: 18 oz
Pump Volume: 0.7 oz
Range: 37 ft (burst of 3.3 oz and stream of 1.8 oz) to 39 ft (2.3 oz stream)

Ultimate Explorer
21″ x 4.5″ x 10″
Reservoir: 55 oz
PC: 5 oz
Pump Volume: 0.7 oz
Range: 34 to 38 ft (too many nozzles to list individually)

If nothing else, Buzz Bee deserves a lot of credit for packing so much into a gun of this size. The Gargantua's 86 oz / 2543 ml overall capacity, PC + Reservoir, is greater than any similar size gun. The Colossus is actually a little larger, but holds 6 oz / 177 ml less. It is very likely that the pump is the exact same as found in the Colossus, and Explorer. After extensive testing, the difference of only 0.1 oz or 3 ml could be due to user error, or it could be due to a better pump seal/better suction. I did quite an amount of testing, and even though the pump volume is not very impressive, the intangibles of this pump are high, so a 3 ml difference may be factual.

It is also worth noting that this is a true CPS, not like the Lightning and certainly not air powered like the 150 or Explorer. This means that even though the PC volume is low it is still almost all usable. The Explorer has a similar sized PC and has tremendous power on its larger (2x?) nozzle(s) but very very low shot time. The Gargantua's shot time certainly does not impress, but it's not completely useless/pathetic either, it's functional. Isoaker lists it at a meager 165 ml or 5.5 oz. I stand behind my measurements, but there could be a quality control issue where some blasters have smaller PCs, or Isoaker simply measured the usable PC volume, as all PCs have some dead space. I will do a measurement on the Gargantua PC's dead space later and update you all on what I find.

I will do output, range, and shot time measurements later, and then I will do a nozzle mod. These are my notes for putting together my official review.