Shot time

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
jja

Shot time

Post by jja » Tue May 12, 2015 4:04 pm

I may be wrong if so please correct me
shot time: the duration a blaster can fire for at greater than 70% of max range

My question is why was 70% the chosen value?

If a blaster fires 12m max (say a colossus 2) shot time would be measured till the stream only reaches 8.4m. I think 8.4m is too short to be any use. My battles have colossus 2s and NSS shotblasts as the most common primaries. the colossus has a decent advantage due to longer range but if the range drops below 10m the shotblast has the advantage as its shots are very consistent.

we all agree range is the most important stat - so i doubt we would keep shooting and depleting pressure to the end of the shot time and 70% range we all would/should re-pump as soon as possible to keep range high, (hence the idea of the tap-pump firing pattern)

regardless of if I misunderstand shot time
perhaps we need a new stat - "Effective shot time" time the blaster can fire above say 95% range - the real range at which we want to be shooting

i think this applies mostly to Air pressure blasters as for elastic (especially true CPS) "effective shot time" would be almost exactly the same as regular shot time

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Shot time

Post by marauder » Wed May 13, 2015 11:02 am

I chose shot time based off the standard that was already established by Aquanexus back in the day. I'm not sure what standard iSoaker uses. I think that in the past - like 10 years or more - range was not as important as shot time and output. Most battles were soakfests and people frequently got in each others faces or did hit and runs. This is why the XXP 175, XP 105 (riot blast), and other blasters were really popular if you look back at some of the old sites - which if you haven't done I recommend because it's cool to see how water warfare developed and how the community has changed over time.

While I can't speak for everyone I do know that in 2001 there began a shift to long range engagements. We had already reached the maximum soakage you could dish out with guns like the Power Pak, Monster XL, and CPS 3200, (check THIS guy out) and naturally the emphasis shifted to how much you could soak your opponent without being hit yourself. By late 2001 the Water Militia in Virginia, run by former community member xNeverFaceDefeatx, and my Red Scorpion Commandos had begun fighting "one hit kills" games. Dominator War II was the first full 1hk war that we are currently aware of. It was pretty epic. Although there have been plenty of soakfests since then I think that a lot of people still choose to engage long range based off of the changes that were seen with big name teams like the Ridgewood Militia, Water Militia, Red Scorpion, etc. Similarly, I think that there are many people out there who don't know about Dominator War II who came to a similar conclusion based purely off the fact that once you hit 11 or 12 being hit by giant streams of water is no longer scary unless it's a) freezing cold out or b) you're fighting a fire hose; so the emphasis becomes who can dish out the most without getting soaked themselves.

Most of the guns that you'd be using in any substantial fight aren't going to have any different shot time than what is written up on Hydrowar at 70% because you're going to be using a CPS or something similarly high powered like the SS 300 which tends to shoot air/mist before it drops to 70% range. I will go back and reexamine the high powered air pressure Water Warriors, XPs, etc. that I can to see what the difference is, because you're right, that may make a difference. With smaller guns like the XP 20, Water Warriors Cricket, etc. there will definitely be a difference.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed May 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Many of these things are totally arbitrary. What would be most useful would be a curve of range vs. time, which you can do with a video camera. Short of that, being explicit about what you mean would be useful. I might say 95% range shot time or full shot time so that people know exactly what I'm talking about.

I think it would be most useful to measure shot time where range is over a certain real distance. The percentage doesn't really matter. If a water gun can't get 10 meters to begin with, I think it's shot time might as well be zero. So its minimum 10 m shot time is zero!

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed May 13, 2015 4:59 pm

SSC Ben I like the concept you propose, but personally think it would work best if set to roughly XP 150 class (10.6 meters) as under that and any blaster becomes unusable against the (arguably) most common weapons in league combat the CPS 1200K's.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

jja

Post by jja » Sat May 16, 2015 9:39 am

As Ben pointed out i think an issue with my line of though here is a certain range percentage is not necessarily "effective" as the blaster may be too short ranged to start with let alone after drop off. i was more thinking of the blaster being at its near its full effectiveness rather than its overall effectiveness compared with other blasters in the battle.

The main Issue with a set value of 10m (or Oncoming Storm's suggestion of 10.6) is the variance in the battles the community fights, whilst this may be a good suggestion for community wars it is totally inappropriate for the battles I fight (and any other groups that lack a good supply of CPS tier guns and rely on more modern blasters). 10.1m is average for all the primary blasters my group owns and 9.3 if pistols are considered (these have and will be used as primaries when weaponry is lacking) many blasters that are really effective in my battles can't even hit 10.6 (Shotblasts for example). In any case even at community wars what constitutes an effective blaster will vary to a degree. A higher percentage of players armed with CPS 2000s will push up average range - 10.6m may not be enough in this situation.

Cochise

Post by Cochise » Sun May 17, 2015 11:04 pm

If your shot time ever falls below like 99% of your max range you're not pumping enough and you would be destroyed in our battles.