SuperSoaker Hydro Cannon for Boat Wars

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Txono

SuperSoaker Hydro Cannon for Boat Wars

Post by Txono » Fri May 31, 2013 1:46 am

Hi!
Again, I need some of your advice! :)
I’m now looking for a cheap water gun, avaliable in Spain, where I haven’t found the Water Warriors brand. Here we only have the newest Super Soaker series, and it seems difficult to buy the US waterguns from here..!

For boat water wars, I’m looking for a high range, high output and highly intimidating watergun. I have no problem with refilling it, (because of the river). I’ll pick only one, because most guns are for 4-5 meters of distance (15 feet I guess), and we want to shot first (we will have 10 people in our boat, everyone with a syn gun and a beach bucket).
Do you think the Super Soaker Hydro Cannon is a good option for us? I found it for 20€, and looks pretty good. Do you know if there are any modifications I should consider? (perhaps some to pump water from the river or something like that..?)

Thanks a lot!!!

PD: I created a new post here because I think this is the “correct” way.

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: SuperSoaker Hydro Cannon for Boat Wars

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri May 31, 2013 6:45 am

The Hydro Cannon is one of the worst blasters ever made, It takes 20 pumps to full power and then wastes it all in one Brief shot that doesn't even go very far. You would be better using Syringes than Hydro Cannons. they shoot further, refill quicker, and can soak you faster.

if you want raw power, and Intimation nothing can top Water Cannon like the ones detailed in this topic http://www.waterwar.net/site_wwn/board/topic5231.html

I would have a Water Cannon on board to blast any boat who dare come close

The end of this video shows a water cannon in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihuC37kGqg4
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri May 31, 2013 9:40 am

I wouldn't say one of the worst, but it ranks down there close to them.

I chose to use homemade for naval wars at Soakemore, mainly because I didn't want to take unreplaceable stock blasters onboard, but also because some degree of modification is required to make then take advantage of the fact that you're sitting on an indefinitely large reservoir of water.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri May 31, 2013 9:46 am

If you do get a Hydrocannon I recommend doing this mod: http://www.waterwar.net/site_wwn/wwn_wi ... g_a_Barrel

However, I suggest you buy a Stream Machine instead. If you can't get one of those then go for a Gorgon, Colossus, Colossus 2, or any other large gun by water warriors. It's a shame that I ended up selling/giving all my excess guns away. I would have sold you something. Contact Duxburian, I would be surprised if he didn't ship to Spain.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri May 31, 2013 12:50 pm

The Hydro Cannon isn't that bad. It's about as powerful as an Arctic Blast, but doesn't have a Max-D trigger,and pumping is comfortable. But most importantly, it has lots of potential for modding. You can colossus mod it, you can give it a PC expansion or replacement, you can do a reservoir expansion, you can give it smaller nozzles so you don't waste it all in one big burst, and more. With a few simple modifications, you can turn it into a pretty sweet gun.
Last edited by martianshark on Fri May 31, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

Txono

Post by Txono » Fri May 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks a lot for your advise!"":-)

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri May 31, 2013 8:10 pm

martianshark wrote:you can give it smaller nozzles so you don't waste it all in one big burst, and more. With a few simple modifications, you can turn it into a pretty sweet gun.
I put a liquidator nozzle on it and it was pretty fun and had a respectable shot time and range, but I don't want to buy a $30 gun so I can put a 1.5x nozzle on it so that it shoots 35 feet.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:06 am

If he has no access to WW, the Hydro Cannon probably is his best option though, and he may be willing to pay $30 (it's actually a $25 gun though).

If you have access to parts to make a homemade water gun though, that's another option.

But if you're just looking to buy a gun that's powerful, has decent range, and is intimidating, the Hydro Cannon is all that. The only problem is that launches the entire load of water in one shot, and then you have to take some time to pump it back up. But if this is a soakfest (just-for-fun) water war, that doesn't matter much.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

Txono

Post by Txono » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:16 am

Again, thank you all for your advise! If I cannot get the colossus, I think I'll get the hydro cannon!

I want to share with you a picture of our boat:
Our boat, this year is going to be called Falcó Milenari, which means Millenium Falcon in Catalan
Our boat, this year is going to be called Falcó Milenari, which means Millenium Falcon in Catalan
transsegre.jpg (111.76 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
I thought perhaps you would like to see the team of people you are helping and our homemade boat (the competition is for homemade boats only).

:D

Txono

Post by Txono » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi! I think we are going to buy an Hydro Cannon tomorrow, because the shipping for one colossus to spain is 47 dollars :(
I'm going to try the mod, perhaps with a PEX pipe, because I think Cpvc is not available in Spain..!

Do you think that will be ok?

Thanks!

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:25 pm

PEX pipe works just as well for PVC. The only difference is that you can't glue, cement, or bond a nozzle onto the PEX pipe. It doesn't have the same chemical properties and therefore won't bond with other plastics.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I used PEX on my Hydro Cannon. CPVC isn't available where I live either.

Txono

Post by Txono » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:01 am

HI! Thanks for your advice!!
I just modified my HydroCannon and I tried it this morning.. The performance is the same or worse than before the mod..
I think this could be because of the lenght of the barrel (perhaps I made it too large). Which do you think is optimal lenght?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 am

Pics? How long is it at the moment? A barrel should straighten the flow of a stream to some extent (but so would the screens in the unmodified nozzle), but will reduce it's velocity. Unfortunately the best way to find the optimal length is to experiment. Pipe diameters and blaster performance varies so the ideal setup for one blaster won't necessarily be the ideal setup for another. You will need a smaller nozzle to get the best out of the current setup. A threaded nozzle system would allow you to swap nozzles, as a 1/2" nozzle won't get the best performance out of an otherwise unmodified Hydrocannon.

Txono

Post by Txono » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi! the barrel is 5 cm from outside the hole.. This is like 1,96 inches I think!
Is it too long?

Thanks! :)

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:11 pm

It's not really too long, but you won't be getting much performance out of a Hydro Cannon anyways. As Andrew says, If you want to improve the range you are going to want to decrease the nozzle size. You will probably have to attach it firmly to the gun somehow (elastics?) to keep it from shooting off, but if you take some kind of endcap, drill a hole in the middle, and stick it onto the stub of pipe you have, you will find it more effective.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.