Most Underrated Blasters (Amongst Community)

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Most Underrated Blasters (Amongst Community)

Post by HBWW » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Excuse me if my forum-search-fu isn't quite up to speed today, but after some discussion and combat experience with the SS 300, I decided to start a thread on blasters that don't seem to get attention they deserve.

So, here's a little list.

- SS 300 (Underrated by far; I had the impression that this thing was impractical and flimsy before seeing one, but in contrast, it's super-light and while not greatly durable, is usable with a few issues. Very powerful though; I would've used it in our main wars if it weren't for the kinked backpack tube slowing down pumping significantly.)
- CPS 1200 (Not as much underrated anymore since most of us have handled one and know that they're absolutely beast for k-modding.)
- WW Gorgon. Maybe some others?
- Some XXP's, perhaps. (Marauder, what do you think of the XXP 275? Should it make this list?)

Thoughts?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

the oncoming storm

Re: Most Underrated Blasters (Amongst Community)

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:09 pm

The 300 clearly has a spot on the list thanks to isoaker

Flash Flood the combination of high shot time, and high output makes this more than a match for similar sized guns like XP's and able to tangle with light CPS's

Tiger Shark CPS 1000 Output and range in a frame sized about the same size of the flash flood

CPS 3000/3200 one of the rarer CPS's this gun has some advantages (namely shot time, and field life) that can make even 2k user worried.

Monster XL despite lacking a little in range for it's size, nothing can rivel it's dual nozzles when it comes to soaking power.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Well, i must say that i love my 2700. Seal uses one, but most of us arent too keen on it.
"The world is yours" - Nas

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Mine was pretty average, nothing really special other than being the largest CPS I owned at the time. I think it's great for soakfests, up there with the Monster XL but being more compact. The one I had lacked power/range for 1HS/1HK games though, but I don't suppose the ridiculous 3/8" nozzle drill I did on the 2x helped with that.

@storm: Can't blame iSoaker for anything. He simply does what he does, and even if we disagree with some things, he's contributed far more to the community than either of us ever have.

If I didn't have iSoaker.com as a resource for easily finding the majority of water blasters out there, my own progress in water warfare would've slowed down immensely. Plus, I still use iSoaker's internal pics when learning to use or opening an unfamiliar blaster. Everyone contributes different aspects of water warfare, be it stock blasters, engineering, or combat, and iSoaker has done amazing work in his area. Even the NIC doesn't have the kind of information aggregation that iSoaker offered (and continues to offer) to water warfare.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 pm

It's difficult to say what is underrated since that would require us to have a firm grasp on what's considered the best guns, what sucks, etc. and I think we don't exactly have that.

I will say this though, the kink in the 300's hose can be fixed by adding a spring around the base of it. You just have to find a spring large enough to wrap around.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 pm

I second that ^ as our knowledge of "good" and "bad" guns is constantly changing. What we want to see in a good gun also changes as fighting evolves. Range used to be all-important, but then stream lamination and pump capacity proved to be critical factors. In a venue like St John's Woods or Waterbridge, you are going to see output make a comeback. Range may make its own comeback with the introduction of the Buzz Bee only rounds, where range variance is not high enough to create much separation between the models.

However, I will say that the MXL deserves its current status in Community wars. It is ill-suited to maneuver warfare in dense environments. Even when you're in good shape, jumping through vines and thorns with an MXL in pursuit of a 310 is a speed mismatch. The Flash Flood is not bad, but the capacity sucks and the main nozzle is too small to be very useful. You need to drill that nozzle and have a refill plan, like an Aquapack. They're also much more likely to break compared to the things you'd take a FF against (1000/1200/2100/150/250/Gorgon/Colossus etc).
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:26 pm

^^ I'd replace the whole backpack since I have a few ready, but that has its disadvantages too. Such as the backpack not bring purple and bright yellow to match the gun. :goofy:

Agreed w/ DX on the MXL's current reputation, but I haven't actually used on in a war yet to be sure.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 am

I never thought the 300 was underrated. Everyone seems to like it. The only thing is, its range is extremely variable (marauder said his got 33 feet one time, and 55 another), they are rather fragile, and they have my vote for the most frustrating, hair-pulling, rage-inducing water gun to open.

I always thought the 2700 was rather underrated. Maybe it's just because mine is awesome, but it's my third-favorite blaster (though the 1500 might take that spot) ever. The only thing I don't like about it is the pump, though I guess it could use a tad more power (but it's still competitive with any other stock gun). I guess it's slightly on the heavy side, but it's so well balanced that it's not an issue.

The MD 4000, while not really underrated, certainly doesn't get the attention it deserves. People always talk about the 2000 and 3000, but the 4000 is not usually mentioned. It has my vote for best pistol (though I have yet to try guns like the Liquidator and STE Triple Shot), even though the grip is about half the size of my hand. 37-39 feet and great lamination paired with a no-space-wasting (can't think of the right word!) reservoir is definitely nothing to scoff at.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:27 pm

4000's pretty great (just got one off of DX), but I don't think it gets talked about due to lack of availability. I was most certainly a contributor to that; I got 2000's and 3000's, but never talked about the 4000 since I never had a chance to get one until now.

Triple Shot isn't getting much attention, but it was one of the best. Too bad they're either rare or broken.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:34 pm

Triple Shot= Yeah, it has to be my favorite small blaster. Shoot normally, ignore the fan blast, and most importantly, use the biggest nozzle to dump half the reservoir on somebody.
Tiger Shark= It's basically 2/3 of a CPS 1000. That is, in terms of reservoir + PC capacity, pump + strap length, and handle size. Best part: it has 3 useful nozzles. I would take one of these any time. Except the broken one for 9$ a while back at Value Village >_<
WW Gorgon= It's a quirky gun, but a good gun. Whether Hydro Power'd or AP, it has capacity, lots of nozzles, and decent power.
Vanquisher= People seem to dislike this gun. Personally, while I don't have one, I like the look, I like the capacity, and the only thing that I don't like is that it only has 3 nozzles.
Max-D 6000 = I like this gun. It's solid, it has a narrow form factor, and it looks good.
CPS 2700= It's a monstrous gun. On one hand, it can be underwhelming considering the weight VS a CPS 1500/2000/2500/3000, and I usually seem to hold it on a downward angle at first, making the range seem bad. But between the useful nozzle selector, short length, and it's sheer capacity, I would rate this higher than most guns. One thing is for certain, this gun is not for everybody = heck, it's not for almost everybody. But if you have the constitution to wield it, then it has great potential.
Monster= This, to me, is one of the best guns of all time. More power than the CPS 1000/2100, 3 very useful nozzles and a fan blast to boot, not to mention the QFD capability. It can compete on every level of the power scale. From my review: "The 4X setting is a good general use setting, while the 2.5X is good for conserving water or fighting fair against XP's. The 8.5X setting is for not fighting fair. The stream is as good as a 10X and lasts long enough for a few good bursts without pumping".
Flash Flood/Arctic Blaster= These guns are hilarious. Sure they don't have range, but the riot blast has enough power and water to soak somebody well. They are nice, compact guns, even when they do break. I would like to see someone make a 5X nozzle to replace the riot blast. If that is too much work, and even if you did do it, the Tiger Shark is much better.
SC 600= One of these just popped up on craigslist for 20$. While I don't like that price, I do like the style and large PC. No one seems to like the SC series (except for the Power Pak) while I find them compact and easy to use. (not the power pak!).
Hydra Pak= I haven't had the chance to really test this gun out, but it is a very unique, and versatlie gun. It shoots for a long, long, long time, it's compact, and you can refill the PC while out in the field. It may lack range and power, but for sheer PC capacity this gun is #1. I mean, it holds more water in the PC than almost every other gun's reservoir! If you still don't want fight with it, it would make a great refill station.
Speedloaders= Don't get me started on these! No, you can't take them into the wilderness, but with a QFD available they fill fast and hit hard. I mean, each one is basically 80% rubber PC with a trigger or two.
XXP 275= This is a legit gun. It feels like you are shooting a mini fire hose. While it has the downside of being an AP gun, it can still compete with small CPS guns and under. I wouldn't say it is underrated at all.
More to come...?
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:24 pm

The Tiger Shark was pretty decent, about on-par with the Max-D 6000 with less power. (That is, it's unable to push larger nozzles like the MD6k could.) Haven't used the Vanquisher, and I actually haven't used the Gorgon either. (Despite them being all over the place at the League Season Opener.)

6000 seems to have a good reputation for its class, so I wouldn't consider it underrated.

It looks like the 2700 is a matter of preference. I liked mine at first, but it was getting outranged by 2500/2000 and out-ran by 10k/12k. I guess the PRV pressure level is an important factor to consider here as always.

Flash Flood and Arctic Blast just need some basic mods to become somewhat effective. Their riot blasts are, of course, unmatched by mostly anything, but a custom nozzle may be useful too. Main weakness is lack of PC capacity IMO (as well as durability issues), but they are great for their size.

SC 600's are rare, so I guess they don't get mentioned much. Haven't used one so I can't say.

Hydra Pak seems too weak despite the capacity. Again, haven't used it.

Haven't used the Speedloaders either, though they sound interesting.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat May 11, 2013 4:14 pm

CPS 4100, Most people seem to take out their rage about the CPS line being discontinued on this gun and it really isn't all that bad at all, I would rank it with K modded 1200's and 1000's.

XP 250, most people think Air Pressure is inferior to CPS, while this gun can go toe to toe with smaller CPS blasters

XXP 275 same as with XP 250's

SC 500, a good CPS based light gun that is more than a match for smaller XP's like the 310, 110 ect
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon May 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Other blasters that don't get as much credit as I think they deserve are ones like the XP310 and XP270 as well as the original XP110 and XP70.
Admittedly, I've always preferred the SC500 over the SC600. I've also had a strong liking for the SS Liquidator, but the Triple Shot is definitely the best-in-class air pressure pistol blaster to date.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Personally, I give then enough credit. They are good blasters at their performance level; well designed, light, and effective. How they stack up against modern BBT blasters is a good question, but they definitely hold their own against them.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue May 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Piston Guns. When well designed, they can dish out an impressive amount of water quickly, making them very effective in soakfests. The Arctic Shock and Switch Shot are how you don't design piston guns. But I really like guns like the WW Shark and SS Sneak Attack. Back in a soakfest when they first came out, I was pretty much slaughtered by some Sneak Attacks due to the fact that you can pump it relentlessly until the reservoir runs out.

In competitive games though, piston guns aren't nearly as useful, but I still don't think they're useless. I probably have a higher interest in piston guns because soakfests are pretty much all I get to participate in.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue May 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Heh, I remember those debates on the merits of piston pumpers. I'd still only use them in naval wars. =p Although with that said, I don't deny that they can definitely put up a fight against XP's and some modern BBT's in a soakfest.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 am

I definitely think the Sneak Attack is underrated. That thing is pretty powerful; almost 40 feet of range and probably 3X or 4X output. The gimmick is ridiculously useless, but the main nozzle is good. Piston guns have their advantages and disadvantages; on one hand, you can just keep firing, but on the other, piston guns are harder to aim and you don't have the option to fire a continuous stream (unless you have a Steady Stream, haha). I personally don't like using piston guns much, but they can hold their own in AP-only games.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.