Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot shot pics and thoughts

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot shot pics and thoughts

Post by isoaker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 am

For fun, I did some screen captures from one of my shot vids of the Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot on stream setting just to show how the early part of the stream from a pump-based water blaster behaves. Despite trying to pull as quickly and properly as possible, there is still an acceleration involved resulting in the very first part of the stream to come out without much force. Of course, one gets to full speed in about a tenth of a second or so. That said, with shot times on a blaster like the Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot being only ~0.4-0.5 seconds long for any of the settings, that means that you're having sub-par stream performance for 20%-25% of the time!
Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot shot pics
Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot shot pics
nerf_super_soaker_switchshot_stream_800.jpg (20.05 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
As can be seen in the screen captures above, there's a number of water drops that really don't get much range (which explains why the pump grip and one's hands often get a little wet when using pump-action blasters).

Of course, some here would probably argue you're still getting sub-par overall performance 100% of the time, but that's another story. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

spitfire

Re: Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot shot pics and thoughts

Post by spitfire » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 pm

I still like the variety of nozzles. do you know of any other gun currently being sold that has better range and similar nozzles?
Abraham Lincoln assassinated J.F.K.!!!!!

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:57 pm

WW Avenger has the same options and costs just $10, WW Collusus 2 has 10' of range on the Switch Shot, and having used an XP 70 against an avenger Pressureized guns even baseline ones are VASTLY superior to top of the line piston guns.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

spitfire

Post by spitfire » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 pm

quit the doom on nerf thing, alright? I just want to know of the best current equivalent.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:51 pm

isoaker wrote: Of course, some here would probably argue you're still getting sub-par overall performance 100% of the time, but that's another story. :goofy:
However 100% of the time that it's true... :goofy:

To try to answer spitfire's question, I'm 99% sure that the Nerf SS Switch Shot is the only Nerf SS blaster with a nozzle selector. Many Water Warriors blasters have a nozzle selector too, but they are not the same set of nozzles on the Switch Shot. WW's typically feature two different stream sizes and one 3-stream nozzle or a burst or something similar, and include 3 nozzles instead of 4. WW blasters try to focus on more streamlined, general purpose nozzles that aren't as range restricted, at the expense of not making interesting stream shapes and effects.

I can't link to the specific images even indirectly, so you'll have to search on iSoaker.com for these blasters and pictures of their nozzle selectors. The Nerf SS has one selector, while Water Warriors uses the same nozzles for the Python 2 and Colossus 2, but the multi-stream burst is replaced with a single, larger burst on the WW Avenger that oncoming storm mentioned.

As for alternative options, if you really like fancy nozzle selectors, have a look at blasters like the CPS 4100, CPS 3200/3000, or Monsters series. Monster XL has two nozzles and selectors, with 6 nozzles each and numerous combinations. Not exactly built to be battle practical, (although all CPS's and Monsters series blasters vastly outperform anything available on shelves right now) and if you're a fan of neat stream shapes, definitely worth checking out if you're able to.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

spitfire

Post by spitfire » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 am

spitfire wrote:quit the doom on nerf thing, alright? I just want to know of the best current equivalent.
To be fair, Oncoming Storm didn't slate NERF SS's, just piston blasters in general (although he may be forgetting the old piston water cannon things :goofy: ). There are BBT Water Warriors piston pumpers aswell, and his comment about pressurised guns vastly outperforming piston based guns rings true for these too.

Bear in mind, he was saying that a pressurised SuperSoaker (XP 70) was better than the piston-based Water Warriors blaster (Avenger).

Unfortunately, best current equivalent (i.e. with nozzle selectors) is, as both Oncoming Storm and CA99 mentioned, one of the Water Warriors blasters. The switch shot is the only NERF SS blaster with a nozzle selector (and has been for the last few years since the Sneak Attack in 2007 [rereleased in 2010] when the SS line [pre-NERF SS] looked more similar to the Water Warriors).