Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot @ iSoaker.com

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot @ iSoaker.com

Post by isoaker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:34 pm

This thing's box is big!

I really don't feel like the blaster, itself, is big, but the box takes up a good amount of space.

As for the Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot, itself, well, as already sort of known, it's a pump-action blaster that has a nozzle selector, hence its name: Switch Shot. 'cos you can switch the spray pattern.

There are 4 patterns to choose from:
"Jet Stream" a.k.a. stream
Triple Shot a.k.a. 3 smaller streams in a line, sort of like ... :goofy:
Scattershot a.k.a. 5 smaller streams in a "+" pattern
Atomizer which looks like a fan-type shot

I've yet to open the box and as I shipped it to my work, it'll be a little bit before I can bring it home for taking pics and testing.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Fishfan
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot

Post by Fishfan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Is it bigger than the HC box?
I like that they finally have nozzle selectors, but that's about it.

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Does it have that mist nozzle I was talking about?
super soaker cps 2000......SUPER SOAKER CPS 2000!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!one

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Wow, a nozzle selector, because no one has ever done that before! Buzz Bee Toys has nozzle selectors on just about all their guns. Considering how powerful the latest Super Squirters are, I'm not sure how useful a nozzle selector would actually be.

I am a little disappointed though that they didn't go with the design of the old switch shot. It was a gun that shot water but then if you turned the barrel it would shoot Nerf darts. Gimmicky, yes, but that is the type of blaster where a gimmick makes sense since it is meant a bit more for fun then actual combat. Unfortunately my old switch shot is broken, but it probably has more power then this thing. I don't really remember the performance to well but I think it was similar to that of the XP 75.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 am

TheSoaker wrote:Does it have that mist nozzle I was talking about?
The one labeled "Atomizer" is actually a fan-type setting. It's doesn't make a mist-shot. The stream options aren't bad, but nothing remarkable, either.

...and, after testing, like the Nerf Super Soaker Arctic Shot, I feel lag in the pump making rapid-pumping not really possible. It just seems to take more effort and time to refill the pump after a shot than it really should.

I'll probably post up pictures of the Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot in the next day or so, but won't be writing up a full review for a little longer.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot images posted

Enjoy!

Full review to come, but probably not for another week or so due to other things.

isoaker

Re: Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot @ iSoaker.com

Post by isoaker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:25 pm

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Seems like at least one person likes the Nerf Super Soaker Switch Shot - their submitted review now reposted on iSoaker.com. For what it's worth, I am somewhat suspicious of the source of this review - it's just too positive for someone who apparently has experience with a CPS 2000. More than that, it's too organized. :goofy: However, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Could be someone who is more into Nerf. Some nerfers really like the new super soakers for some reason.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:49 pm

marauder wrote:Could be someone who is more into Nerf. Some nerfers really like the new super soakers for some reason.
Were it just a positive review, I don't think I'd be as skeptical. However, for a review from someone with experience with older models, that makes me wonder a little more. :goofy: If someone has only used 2012/2013 Nerf Super Soakers and no other water blasters, it'd make sense for them to think the Switch Shot (2013) works fine. It's another thing to say one has experience with perhaps the most potent stock water blaster made, then still suggest that this pump-action water blaster is worthy of the Super Soaker name.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Well I found the review believable. Until he slammed the durability of water warriors blasters, My gorgon is practical indestructible twice It has fallen 4' when a strap broke (Once onto grass full, once 1/2 full onto concrete) and survived with minor scratches.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Well, I do think that the plastic Super Soaker uses is better than Water Warriors. You can still have durable guns without using the best plastic. With that being said, the plastic BBT uses is still high quality enough to satisfy me. It's really a non issue to me. If a gun's plastic is a 7/10 but has a 10/10 performance and another gun's plastic is 10/10 but has a 3/10 performance you know what gun I'm going with.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm

PopSci did a short article comparing the Switch Shot, Python 2, and full-length Stream Machine (TL-750)

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2 ... ng-streams

Nothing in the article is out of the ordinary of what you'd expect, and I even wanted to skip reading it altogether, but I ended up having a look. It's pretty funny that it took 4 attempts to knock over a cup from 20ft away with the Switch Shot.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:43 pm

This is pretty funny. I'll add comments in bold.
As a kid I was an little Super Soaker hellion, in fact i got in trouble once because my CPS 2000 was so powerful it made a kid cry! I decided to give the new generation of Super Soakers a try, despite their lukewarm reviews online.

DESIGN:

This gun is extremely well designed. The ergonomics and balance are better than any water gun I've held. Very durable plastic, much sturdier than the cheap plastic of Water Warriors. The clip and stock lock in well and are easy to remove. With stock & clip removed this compact gun can easily fit into a backpack. Front sight and stock makes aiming easy. I like the fact that the water tank is on the bottom of the gun, it makes the gun much more balanced and easier to use/aim. The old Super Soakers were often cumbersome, top-heavy, and unbalanced. My only complaint is that there is no trigger. Oh yeah, i almost forgot... it looks COOL.
Well you can't deny that Nerf soakers have good ergonomics. I definitely wouldn't say that Water Warriors uses cheap plastic though (Nerf's is slightly better, but not by much); it's much better than classic Super Soakers. I find it kind of funny that this person thinks that old Super Soakers are cumbersome; if he had a CPS 2000 when he was a kid, he should be in his 20s now, and should definitely be strong enough to handle CPS blasters.

CAPACITY:

The 20oz clip holds more water than you would think, you can get a lot of shots out of it. You can also get extra clips so I don't think the capacity is a problem. The clips are water-tight even when not in the gun which is really cool. The medium capacity also makes the gun lightweight even when fully loaded.
Well yeah, you can get a lot of shots out of it because the output is so low!

POWER:

The jetstream setting packs the most punch... not as much as an original Super Soaker but not bad for a gun of this size. The triple shot and scattershot settings are not bad either and put out a good amount of water. The "atomizer" setting is pretty lame- its more like a mist than a spray. With a few shots you can easily soak someone... not a CPS-style drenching, but a decent soaking none the less.
Well he does admit that it's soaking potential is inferior to CPS blasters.

RANGE:

This is the only problem with the Switch Shot. The box said it shoots 25 ft., so I wasn't expecting much. Actually it exceeded my expectations, it goes farther than 25 ft. If you tilt the gun up and pump extra hard you can get 30-35 ft. Not a bad range for a gun this size, but nothing compared to the original Super Soakers.
Once again, he says the originals are better. I don't think this review is extremely positive; this guy is probably just too wimpy to prefer using bigger blasters.

OVERALL:

A good lightweight water gun, very well made and well designed. Easy to shoot, aim, and maneuver. The design is the best part of this gun, although the performance isn't bad either. I like the fact that you don't have to pump it up before shooting like the original Super Soakers... but you sacrifice some range and power. Its the only water gun I've seen with a stock, which is useful because you can hold the gun steady while pumping, otherwise it tends to wobble which affects your aim. Not having a trigger is a little weird at first, but after you get into the shooting you dont even notice. Good for close to medium range water combat, for long range you will need something heavier and more powerful like a CPS.
This cracked me up. He says he likes that fact that you don't have to pump it up before shooting, yet you have to pump just to shoot it! Sure, you can shoot it at any time, but triggers give you faster response time and better aim.
I don't think the review is all that suspicious. I can see why some people would prefer a Nerf blaster over a CPS blaster. I actually get Popular Science and I saw that article just today. That in combination with this review, finally made me realize why Hasbro is doing what they're doing (thanks to this quote: "The design makes for lighter, more easily refilled guns, the Nerf designers say."). Nerf "Super Soakers" may suck horribly, they are more user-friendly than most other water guns; you don't have to pump (most of) them up to fire, they just shoot, and they are very ergonomic. The Hydro Cannon is one exception, but then again, it's not being sold anymore, is it? I think I finally see the reasoning behind Hasbro's motives. And while it may not make us happy, it does kind of make sense from a marketing standpoint.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:09 pm

It has always made sense to me from a marketing standpoint: water blasters that take no effort at all to use. Swappable mags, with each one carrying as much water (or less) as that of a CPS pressure chamber; make volumes and outputs so low that anyone can pick them up easily. People are unwilling to put in the effort for anything that's worth it these days, so that aspect of Nerf SS comes as no surprise.

There is no real speed-up for us. It's almost as fast to fill up a pressure chamber as it is to swap mags, with the benefit being that the pressure chamber can actually shoot worth anything. Having swappable PC's wouldn't be that useful for us due to the inability to keep them pressurized and having to swap them at potentially bad times. Not having to pump up the blaster is a moot point because you can just have it already pumped before starting a game. Piston pumpers have to have their pumps drawn out for quick response, but still with poor accuracy.

The only advantage Hasbro has presented, aside from ergonomics, is low weight that would've come with filling blasters less in the first place. Even then, with performance aside, I don't see swappables being all that practical.

But of course, this is the mainstream market we're talking about.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:38 pm

If all they are about is user friendliness than why don't they just give up and make the dollar store squirt guns that we frequently compare them to Which I must say that it is stupid, having lost XP 215 vs Thunderstorm and having won Squirt gun vs 215.

am I the only person on here who has ever taken a Nerf Super Soaker into battle? I have used the Scatter Blast, Tornado Strike, and Thunderstorm in action (of these the scatter blast was the best)
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:39 pm

I did a lot of testing with Nerf Super Soakers somewhat recently and it was honestly pretty hard to make large enough wet marks on the testing range to get the measuring tape on them before they dried up. The Scatter Blast wasn't that bad, but it makes a mockery of "last drop vs last puddle" measuring standards. Everything was a drop. I once called the T-Strike the worst water gun ever manufactured, relative to size and cost, and I stick by that. I tried to water some fragile plants in the garden with it, but the spinning nozzle couldn't put out enough water to get the plants damp, let alone wet, so I gave up and used a 4100 on fan blast. One shot on fan blast did more soaking than 3 mags worth of T-Strike shots. If you're dueling with a T-Strike, you can run through 3 mags in less than 2 minutes. The T-Storm lacks the power to knock over or even nudge a plastic cup at point blank range, 'nuff said.

I don't think the review is all that suspicious. The reviewer may be misguided on a few things, but not something I'd flag. He has a point with Buzz Bee's plastic, it's generally not great quality. The smaller the gun, the worse it is. The Tek 4 has such weak plastic that people use them for target practice for powerful Nerf homemades. A sufficiently powerful gun will actually blast one to pieces over the course of a power test. Gorgons have much thicker plastic due to size and greater need for structural integrity.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers