New Water Warriors - Colossus 2

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Buffdaddy

New Water Warriors - Colossus 2

Post by Buffdaddy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:09 am

I spotted this on the shelf of random items yesterday while browsing the toy section. Isn't the first time this has happened - back before Buzz Bee had to stop making the Hydro Power Gorgons, I found one around this time of year at Walmart. That one, sadly, didn't register a price anywhere. This one did, at $20.

In all its glory. Considering the last one was a decent blaster, I expect good things here.

The newest gimmick is a little needle for angling the blaster to get maximum distance. The dark green section is in the 35-45ish degree area, while the red means you're pretty much pointing straight up or down. Again, it's a gimmick, but who knows; maybe the little kiddies that used it liked it.

The back of the box, showing the instructions, etc.

Lastly, there's a new blaster listed on the back: the Hydro Current. It's motorized (an unfortunate trend, but at least Buzz Bee can do variety *cough*Hasbro*cough*). I'd seen the trademark application a while ago, but no other information. Now we know.

It's freezing, but when we get a mild day, I look forward to testing. Will dismantle this thing later!

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: New Water Warriors - Colossus 2

Post by SEAL » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 am

Well, it looks cool, but I don't think it'll perform any better than the current Colossus. I'm still hoping for a new double-PC blaster from them. As for the blasters on the back, BBT actually has made motorized blasters in the past (Tarantula), so I'm not really surprised to see another one. Hell, knowing BBT, it'll probably perform a lot better than Hasbro's motorized blasters. The Outlaw looks like nothing but a renamed Equalizer, which is a little disappointing. Hopefully they'll have another new line this year that is yet to be discovered.

Either way, it's still more promising-looking than Hasbro's. Buffdaddy, I'm looking forward to your testing. Find out how well the stream holds together. If it's anything like the original Colossus, I probably won't buy one.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 am

This should basically be a slightly smaller, lighter colossus. One thing I noticed is that they changed out the N7 nozzle for an N5 nozzle. So, just a guess, but that's probably like going from 2x to 1.75x. The angle gauge doesn't bother me. It's kinda cool actually, though it would be easier to see if it was top mounted, though I guess it wouldn't work then. I don't like how it's more angular. The Colossus has nice smooth lines that I dig.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Buffdaddy

Post by Buffdaddy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am

marauder wrote:I don't like how it's more angular. The Colossus has nice smooth lines that I dig.
Agreed. Then again, with some work on it, I could see this easily being converted into a Halo Assault Rifle for cosplay.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:45 am

Nice find!

For all intents and purposes, the Colossus 2 is likely pretty much the Colossus with a new body and the angle meter. While not likely so useful for our group, that meter may prove useful to some less familiar with some of the limits/angle restrictions water blasters have; unlike dart guns, you just can't expect to hold most water blasters upside-down and still be able to make a meaningful shot.

I don't believe these are the only new blasters in the 2013 Water Warriors line, but I wouldn't expect to see a whole new line, either. The release of the Outlaw (looks pretty much like the original Equalizer) and Renegade suggests that they are ditching the "Ultimate" system.

As for the Colossus 2, I'd hope it performs at least equal to the original Colossus, but may be a little more comfortable to hold for those with larger hands since the grip area is no longer constrained by a bottom piece of plastic.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Looks nice!
I never actually got me an original Colossus, maybe BBT sensed that...

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Interested... marauder and BuffDaddy appear less thrilled with the more angular look while it seems like SEAL and mr. dude are more in favor of the new styling. I fall into the latter group, preferring this look over the original, but I'm a bit biased on this one. I suppose when it comes down to it, hard to please everyone. :goofy: That said, performance and handling, I believe, come ahead of looks and while I don't expect the Colossus 2 to perform better than the original Colossus, I'm hoping it's a bit more comfortable to use. Not that the original Colossus was bad (it was quite good, actually), but I have hope for this one to be a little better.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:01 pm

This thread inspired me to take my Colossus out of the box and test it out. After handling it I really like it and I think I'm going to try to work out a deal where SEAL is awarded the Gorgon I just bought at Wal Mart instead. Having used my Gorgon a good amount I can say that it's better at standing/line fights than the Colossus, however, the Colossus handles much better and would make a better replacement for the XP 110, 150, and Ultimate Explorer I'm selling.

I'm also thinking smooth design = aliens
angular design = humans

:lol:

I do think the Colossus 2 will hold less than the original, that it's just not using a new shell. The box on the Colossus 1 says it holds 84 oz. I measured 69 oz, so I'm guessing that the 84 means overloaded capacity (reservoir full + pc full). The Colossus 2 says 74 oz.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:48 pm

marauder wrote:I do think the Colossus 2 will hold less than the original, that it's just not using a new shell. The box on the Colossus 1 says it holds 84 oz. I measured 69 oz, so I'm guessing that the 84 means overloaded capacity (reservoir full + pc full). The Colossus 2 says 74 oz.
Good eye; didn't notice the reduced capacity number on the box. The Colossus 2's filled weight is also less. In that case, the Colossus 2's performance is hopefully quite close to that of the original Colossus; I have a feeling that the reduced size has to do with all the manufacturing cost increases over the recent years.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:18 pm

It appears to be a slight step down in performance. I'll be interested to see if its stream lamination is improved, if it hits 40ft, and if that 40ft is usable. A bit disappointing, as I was hoping for an improved Colossus with a wider PC and reservoir, with better lamination. Was hoping the stats would rise and not fall. I'm already sitting on 3 original Colossi, so I'll probably not pull the trigger this year unless there's still something good hidden down the pike. I'll just mod my existing Colossi to improve the lamination and keep waiting.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 pm

I think this is a smart move by BBT. Offer something similar but slightly different. If it were up to me I'd release multiple versions of the same gun. Each version would have a different color scheme and a different nozzle selection. There would also be limited releases which would increase collector's value. Nerf, and I mean foam Nerf, has done a good job at that.

Range and output don't have to fall just because the product is smaller. My Ultimate Explorer is a little smaller than my Colossus and yet max range is the same. What makes the Colossus so superior to the Explorer is the greater PC capacity and more comfortable design. Sure, my Explorer hits 39-40 ft on its largest nozzle setting but you have only a second worth of shot time. Better weight translates into quicker response times to opponents hiding around the corner of a building, more accurate 1 hand firing, etc.

The only way, in my opinion, to make an AP gun shoot further than 40 ft is to increase the flow volume and speed from the PC out the nozzle. This would be accomplished with taller rather than wider PCs, larger internal pipes, larger firing valves, and conical nozzles.

I would seriously turn down a job at the State Department to work for BBT. Ha.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 pm

I like the new styling better, and i believe it will probably help sales increase because of ease of use. i got my little cousin a colossus and she likes it but finds it a bit hard to use do to the length of the blaster. i will have to compare it to my original colossus. i am still holding out hope for a gun with two, big, tall pcs, similar in size to the xp 250's. just a hope. i know it wont happen.
"The world is yours" - Nas

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Wow neat find I have yet to see any new blasters where I live just did some research on isoaker N9 is the same largest setting used on Gorgon and Sphinx it got about 4.5 oz/s and 42' on them so almost 5x (you were close m4 just off on range)
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Looks cool, but I can't help but think that it is a pressurized reservoir design, it looks like the res. and the PC are connected.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Can't be PR, it has instructions to pre-charge 10-12 pumps. Only separate chamber can be pre-pressurized.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Oh, good.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:44 pm

BBT has several guns that look like PR but actually have PCs - Vindicator, Explorer, etc. It's just what they do.

Buffdaddy

Post by Buffdaddy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51 am

UPDATE: Internals!

Lucky me, I always have spare tools in the car for dissecting things.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:20 am

Internal pics; nice!

Side question: tools in the car, I understand, but why are you opening the blaster in your car? :goofy:

Looks like the Colossus 2's PC is a little smaller than the original Colossus. Otherwise, nice clean layout. How does it perform?

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 am

isoaker wrote:Internal pics; nice!

Side question: tools in the car, I understand, but why are you opening the blaster in your car? :goofy:

Looks like the Colossus 2's PC is a little smaller than the original Colossus. Otherwise, nice clean layout. How does it perform?

Long boring drive maybe?

If you thought texting and driving is dangerous...