Nozzle Sizes

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Nozzle Sizes

Post by marauder » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:07 pm

I finally got myself a digital caliper set and I've been doing a lot of measurements lately. It's been a lot of fun. I want to end up plotting nozzle size vs output, nozzle size vs range, etc. The fact of the matter is that 2 blasters can push out the same amount of water (output) yet the two streams can behave very differently. My intent is to further our understanding of how the factors that go into watergun performance, specifically range, output, and shot time. I am looking forward to making range and output curve charts based off nozzle size.

Here are some initial findings/thoughts to consider.

Vindicator stream settings are 3.5, 2.4, 1.6, and 0.8 mm
Gorgon (AP) stream settings 2.4, 2.0 1.6, and 0.8 mm

I would like to compare the Vindicator's 3rd largest nozzle setting vs the Gorgon's 2nd largest nozzle setting since they are both 1.5 mm but I haven't been able to do a full test on my Gorgon yet. I went to iSoaker, but I think his version has 5 streams whereas mine has a burst nozzle, so I'm afraid to compare using his stats since my measurements might not apply to his gun.

The SC 600 and WWF Stone Cold both have 1.4 mm nozzles. This is not surprising since the Stone Cold is very much based off the SC 600. I have tested 2 Stone Colds and have noticed that their performance is practically equal to the SC 600 mk1, the lesser powered variant. This is odd since the Stone Cold came out after the SC 600. Perhaps the mk2 was actually released first. I don't exactly remember why or who decided which version (grey or black) was first.

My Pool Pumper Blaster and Splashzookas both have 2.4 mm nozzles. Since the 2.4 mm measured is almost identical to the Vindicator's 2.5 mm nozzle I'm going to do a quick comparison. Unfortunately I have not tested my Zooks, so I'm going to take the stats from iSoaker and Aquanexus vs my measurements for the Vindicator.
Range: Zook 36 ft > Vindicator 34 ft
Output: Zook 2.3 (1.9x) isoaker or 2.4 oz/sec (2x) Aquanexus > 1.5 oz (1.25x) Vindicator

This is a great example of how 2 guns can have the same nozzle size but produce different stream types. Even if you use isoaker's stats for the Vindicator the results are essentially the same. I would not be surprised if this wasn't an example of how BBT's Hydropower was less powerful than the rubber used in CPS.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

isoaker

Re: Nozzle Sizes

Post by isoaker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Cool! For stat comparison, though, might be better to calculate nozzle area from your diameter measurements, then do output and range comparisons. Granted, trickier to determine areas for burst nozzle settings, but at least it's simple for stream-type nozzles. In terms of performance, CPS is pretty much guaranteed to perform better (only a constant air-pressure system would be able to perform similarly) simply from the fact the the pressure applied to the stream remains fairly constant throughout the shot. It's remarkable what a difference maintaining a consistent force on a stream can mean in terms of overall stream performance.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:50 am

I am looking forward to how this comes out. I only understood about half of what was said, but once the testing is done I can just look at the numbers. I thought the Vindicator had more settings then that? Mine has the one that is about a 6x nozzle.

Edit: Actually, what are calipers? That is probably why I have trouble with the rest, I don't know what those are.
Last edited by scottthewaterwarrior on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:56 am

I'm wondering how you measure really small nozzles; the calipers that I use don't fit inside nozzles 1X or smaller. Sounds like a fun project though.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Calipers are a set of tools used to measure the distance between two points. I have a set of calipers designed for use with science, jewelry, and other occupations that require very small measurements. It gives me readings down to one hundredth of a millimeter, which is insane. It arrived pre zeroed, but I made sure it was accurate by testing it out on objects of preknown size, eg a .5 mm mechanical pencil lead and it proved accurate every time.

Scott, the 3.5 mm nozzle is 5.5x according to my measurements: http://hydrowar.com/vindicator.html Basically the largest nozzle setting on the Vindicator is = most stock 1000s, 1200s, or 2100s in terms of performance. I still need to check the nozzle sizes on those CPS guns with my new calipers.

iSoaker, I like your idea about measuring area as well as diameter. I am pretty decent with geometry, so this should not be too difficult.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:33 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:I am looking forward to how this comes out. I only understood about half of what was said, but once the testing is done I can just look at the numbers. I thought the Vindicator had more settings then that? Mine has the one that is about a 6x nozzle.

Edit: Actually, what are calipers? That is probably why I have trouble with the rest, I don't know what those are.
calipers are a handheld measuring tool for measuring very small things
super soaker cps 2000......SUPER SOAKER CPS 2000!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!one

DX

Post by DX » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:52 pm

Scott, picture a vise or a monkeywrench. A caliper looks a lot like that, it has adjustable ends so you can fit the object you are measuring, unlike with rulers. They are good for getting exact measurements with extremely small margins of error (fractions of mm). I have one for measuring seashells, which tend to be irregular in shape and lack flat edges. However, mine's a cheapo manual that is difficult to use because it's hard to see the tics on the slider.

It would be very interesting to test K-modded nozzles in this manner, as they tend to push out much harder, longer ranged streams from the same orifice as before.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers