Some Testing Done

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Some Testing Done

Post by SEAL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:25 am

Last night I got out a few blasters and did some range-testing. Here are the results. Range is measured to the last "puddle", and there was absolutely no wind.

My XP 270 performed just like it did when we tested it back in 2010; 38 feet to the last puddle, and quite a few drops made it to 40. This thing is definitely a shining example of a 270. The stream is very, very well laminated.

In stark contrast to the top-level 270, I am unhappy to tell you that the grand prize CPS 2500 seems to be a bit of a lemon. We measured 37 feet for the 5X, 43 feet for the 10X, and the 20X fell even shorter than the 5X, and we didn't bother measuring it (it looked like around 30.). The 20X results aren't that surprising, since the blast is very irregular, kind of like a fan blast on steroids (I have no idea why, as the nozzle appears unobstructed.). However I am rather disappointed with the 5 and 10X results. I wonder if the minor leakage has anything to do with it. I didn't test my brother's, but I hope it performs better.

I also measured the ranges on my homemades. The gigantic SEAL H1 still has amazing perfomance, shooting 53 feet on it's smallest nozzle (roughly 10X.), but I forgot just how heavy and imbalanced that thing is. And I didn't even overload it! I'm thinking of getting rid of the 1 gallon water jug reservoir, and maybe making a backpack reservoir for it. The H2 shot 40 feet on the riot blast, and about 45 on the small nozzle. I had measured 52 or 53 for the second-smallest nozzle, but that nozzle was with my old water balloons, which I cannot find for the life of me. After Hydropocalypse, I have not been able to find that one fucking bag where I had about 700 water balloons and two H2 nozzles. Aside from that, I've found that I can take two short shots with the H2 on the small nozzle at full range, then shots 3-6 all fell to about 40, and all the shots after that declined rapidly in range. The whole point of this homemade is to unload everything you've got at your enemy, but it's nice to know that you can fight normally with it for a small amount of time.

I also tested DX's old XP 75, which I had replaced the O-ring on. What I want to know is, what idiot designed the PRV on that thing!? For those of you who don't have XP 75s, if you pump it up too much, the reservoir lifts up and sprays water out the side (fortunately I'm right-handed...). It will happen if I pump it up like 2 or 3 times. I think the problem is that the stubs that hold the reservoir down are very worn. I think the best way to fix this is to add a dab of epoxy to the ends of the stubs, to make them a bit longer. I will probably do this sometime soon; it's better than strapping the reservoir down, haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Some Testing Done

Post by marauder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:15 am

Hahaha I just imagined you getting hosed from your 75. Your 270 is beast. It was almost as formidable as your 2700 against me in the 2 v 2 round. Almost! How far does your 2700 shoot? I am going to guess 42 feet. Also, I'm very curious to whether or not your Vanquisher can keep up with your 270 and 2500. You said it was the hydropower version right?

Tiff's 270 is rather disappointing, it only shoots about 32 feet. It was kinda beat up from it's first owner though, so I plan on opening it up and cleaning it out. Maybe that will help. The funny thing is, it's the silver and blue version which is newer than your yellow and green version. Yours operates quite well and it has to be 11-12 years old.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:48 am

I measured 43 feet for my 2700's 5X nozzle. The other nozzles, which I never use, both fell somewhere around 37-40. It outperforms the 2500 in all areas except output! I don't remember the Vanquisher (yes, it is the original version.) stats, but I remember it being pretty disappointing. Maybe it was around 35. It lasts forever though; probably longer than the 2700.

The 75 shoots water out of the right side (facing the rear.), so being right-handed, I didn't get hit by the stream, but a bit of water also blew out around the reservoir intake, which did get me a little wet. I probably did look pretty ridiculous though, haha.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:04 pm

I looked pretty ridiculous when one of my PPB's PCs launched off high into the air and dropped a stream of water down on me. Your Vanquisher sounds a lot like the one iSoaker reviewed. Your 2700 also sounds like it's top of the line, like your 270:

Your 2700: 37-40 ft 10x, 43 ft 5x, 37-40 ft 2x
Hydrowar: 41 ft 10x, 41 ft 5x, 38 ft 2x
iSoaker: 33 ft 10x, 30 ft 5x, 33 ft 2x
Duke: 43 ft 10x, 40 ft 4x, 36 ft 2x
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Now that I think about it, I think the 10X was exactly 40, and the 2.5X was in the high 30s, probably somewhere between 37 and 39. I used to think that smaller nozzles always meant higher range but less output, so I was surprised when I first tested all my guns. I wrote all the stats down on a sheet of paper, but I doubt we still have it.

Holy crap, iSoaker's 2700 is way down there. I think his Shot Blast shot farther than that (around 35.)! Not to mention all of the good air-pressure blasters out there. While on that topic, my MD 6000 could almost hit 40 on one of the nozzles (we measured 39.), and all the rest were in the mid-to-high 30s. I also remember that my MD 4000s got some pretty insane numbers; I don't know if I remember this correctly, but the number 37 sticks out in my head...
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Are these ranges level, or slightly angled, or are they 45 degrees?
PS Seal seems to get good luck with getting better-than-average water guns.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Sticky to everyone... max ranges are ALWAYS at 45 degrees.

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Someone I saw (I thought it was iSoaker) used ~30 degree angle shots for max range.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:29 am

I didn't measure the angle, but I'm sure it was around 45. I held the soakers the way I would if I was shooting at someone.
Fishfan wrote:PS Seal seems to get good luck with getting better-than-average water guns.
Well, if you read the first post, you saw that I didn't get lucky with the 2500 (even though it's technically not mine, yet...). I want to do range tests on all my soakers, but it's been rainy lately.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:18 am

I know what you mean by higher perfoming blasters, after a full range test of my CPS 1200 it hits 47' without modding, it's a MK2 and the PRV on it kicks in about 23-25 pump's so I always pump till I hear it.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Well, the estimated range for my APH is now about 0 feet, thanks to the fact that both PCs cracked off. I guess I have to make new ones on top of everything else I have to do...

oncoming storm: Is that range to the last 'puddle', or last drop? Also, what was the wind like when you tested?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~