2010 Water Gun/Water Blaster Predictions

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

2010 Water Gun/Water Blaster Predictions

Post by isoaker » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:50 pm

As the year is getting closer to coming to a close, we get that bit closer to finding out what next year will bring in terms of new stock water guns/water blasters.

In the meantime, we are left only with our dreams and speculations of what the future holds. For the past year, Hasbro Inc did not have much in terms of new blasters; the only "new" blaster was the remake/redesign of the Super Soaker 50. Buzz Bee Toys Inc., on the other hand, offered a good selection of new designs and new tech (~8-11 new models depending on how you count it), but with so many new released for this year, it is not necessarily true that that many new models will appear for the upcoming year.

That said, do you have any predictions on what will be coming our way for 2010? Will we get more-of-the-same or do you think that we're back on the road of progress, with more powerful blasters on the horizon?

Predictions welcome until, of course, we do find out what's in store. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: 2010 Water Gun/Water Blaster Predictions

Post by HBWW » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:17 am

I expect nothing really out of the ordinary. BBT will likely do some massive re-releasing with the 2k9 line but it's always possible that they'll break their previous trends and release something new. If that happens, I'd say it'd be something like what they did this year, with the top blaster being at or sub-CPS 1000 power.

Hasbro... Anything can happen. They haven't really done anything for a while. Either they'll be able to come up with a full line of the same old gimmick guns, or they'll come up with a smaller line, or maybe they'll do nothing at all.

Lets be realistic though. While some of us still dream on of blasters designed purely for high-end water warfare, it's still simply not that likely. True, we've gotten closer, but I'm not expecting any surprises next year.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

steelboot.
Location: workin, workin on the island, workin, all night long

Post by steelboot. » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:47 pm

BBT: Re-releases. No new blasters. Maybe one, but no more.

Hasbro: Three new piston blasters, twp AP rifles with XP calibre. More re-releases such as the Arctic Shock and the XP 270.
Water Warrior for three summers and counting.
Was captain of a team, but team disbanded due to lack of interest.
Still love soakers.
SOAK AND DESTROY = BEST GAME EVER

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:32 am

I don't think they'll re-release the Arctic Shock, despite it's atrociously high popularity. (considering it's among one of the worst water blasters many people have ever used) They'll probably continue with the Arctic Blast instead.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:45 pm

Hasbro:
~2-3 piston soakers
~2-3 pistol sized soakers
~1 CPS1000 (or slightly smaller) sized soaker, airpressure or CPS, it's a toss-up
BBT:
~Continued innovation and quality products
~Continued to increase market domination over Hasbro

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

ncog

Post by ncog » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:26 am

BBT:
My wishes:- Vindicator re-released with a different colour scheme (though I do like the current one), the fan nozzle replaced with a larger nozzle that will empty the PC in one second, extended pump rod to allow for at least 30ml pump volume, PC expanded to at least 600ml (at the expense of reservoir size, but that's okay), slight redesign to lessen weight that the pumping hand carries, traditional pressure gauge (not electronic) and a translucent reservoir.

- Different colour schemes for the Renegade and Equalizer (though I do like the current ones); Equalizer performs perfect as it is but the Renegade could use a slightly bigger PC volume (at least 250ml) and a strap would be really nice.

- Pulse series: I love the pulse series, but they have one feature that lets them down in my opinion which is the trigger valve lag; when the trigger is depressed at full pressure the majority of the firing chamber is emptied in one stream, allowing the user only one or two tap shots after that before pumping is required. This isn't a problem for the Pulse Master on its larger nozzle, since the shot is so short anyway, but the issue is quite significant on the Pulse Blaster, Pulse Strike and Pulse Master's smallest two nozzles. If tap shots were possible at full pressurization (combined with a larger PC volume) this series would be absolutely perfect, but at the moment the guns force you to shoot longer than is usually needed, meaning that the majority of the shot is wasted and leaving you vulnerable aside from two or so tap shots before the range decrease becomes significant (albeit vulnerability here is short due to how little pumps are required but the ability to tap shot would make the soakers significantly better). I understand that the spring technology likely won't allow this improvement but if it was possible BBT could potentially produce the best blasters of the 21st century in due time.

- While I feel that the Pulse Master and Pulse Blaster perform well for their size, I think that the Pulse Strike is a bit of an oddity in that it's stuck somewhere between use as a backup or primary. This issue stems from its stream output, which is only slightly better than that of the Pulse Blaster. If next year's Pulse Strike had two nozzles, able to be changed by a system similar to that of the CPS 1500, one being its current nozzle size and the other which empties its PC in half a second (like the Pulse Master) then it would be perfect. For the record, the Strike is one of the nicest looking soakers ever in my opinion, and I mainly bought it for that reason in spite of it having fairly mediocre performance. With the above changes (+ the tap shot ability and increased PC volume), it would become a good option for a light primary blaster as well as a potent sidearm, solidifying its possible roles rather than not being particularly suited for either as it currently stands.

- If possible, one or two new high end blasters of larger size than the Pulse Master and Vindicator. BBT's 2009 line really impressed me and I have high hope for them in the future; they did a lot of things right in '09 (tracked pumps and a solid pressurized reservoir gun, separate air PC gun and elastic pressure gun with the cannon series, and innovative and promising new technology with the Pulse series, though as mentioned above there are still a few issues that could be ironed out there). A 'next size up' of both the Pulse Master and Vindicator would be great, with the same modern styling as both respective series but a step up in size, range, power, PC/reservoir/pump volume would be excellent. A traditional pressure gauge (not electronic) of some sort would be lovely for the bigger version of the Vindicator, and a nozzle of at least 10x.

- Transparent (or at least translucent) reservoirs please! The Vindicator and Pulse Master would benefit greatly from those, and they're a must for pressurized reservoir soakers to discern how much to fill them up (oddly, the box for the Equalizer doesn't state to only fill the gun up 2/3 or 3/4 full, instead implying that filling it completely is fine). I cannot understand why the XP 215 re-releases now have opaque reservoirs. Madness.

- A big brother for the Steady Stream, which in its current state is a great sidearm/backup. Something with a bigger reservoir, twist cap (rather than the current click on one) and larger pump volume would be great. The Steady Stream has really put piston guns back on the map, as it turns the lack of trigger into an advantage almost (at least, when up against pressurized reservoir soakers of the same size).

Reality: Likely a re-release of the whole 2009 line, with new colours and minor alterations. That's fine by me, I think 2011 will be the year of big things from BBT (2009 has certainly set it up to be so).

Hasbro:
My wishes: Something risky. Not gimmicky risky, but risky in terms of an attempt to return to the previous glory of Larami in the late 90s. Something CPS, but CPS like the original 90s line rather than CPS technology used to half its potential which has been the trend for the past few years.

Reality: Probably a new gimmicky line along the same trend as Soakertag/Arctic Cold Water. I guess at least that means some new soakers (regardless of their quality) which is surely better than a redesigned SS 50 (a good soaker by all means, but it's slightly depressing that that's the only 'new' soaker Hasbro came up with in a year). Quick Blast and Bottle Shot likely continued, along with a slightly different Arctic Blast which will phase out the Flash Flood.

Just my thoughts!

EDIT: forgot to mention that the one thing current large 2009 WW soakers lack is a handle. Especially for the Pulse Master and Vindicator, a handle would have been really helpful for refilling and carrying. Due to their designs I think it'd be quite difficult to add a handle to these soakers but the future inclusion of handles in large WW would definitely be a selling point!

thelaminator
Location: By the time you've read this, It's likely changed again

Post by thelaminator » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:33 am

ncog wrote:
Reality: Probably a new gimmicky line (...) Quick Blast and Bottle Shot likely continued, along with a slightly different Arctic Blast which will phase out the Flash Flood.
do you have a crystal ball???
[This account has been abandoned. Posts made by this account do not reflect the current views of the original account owner.]
[This account has not been terminated, for archival reasons.]

ncog

Post by ncog » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 am

I do indeed...I forsee you blinking a lot today.

My predictions were fairly accurate, yay! BBT has done better than expected this year (Vanquisher/Pulse Force/recolourings), and Hasbro has done as expected (which in itself is bad). I hope Vanquishers make their way over to New Zealand (though we don't have Target here so they may only get as far as Australia sadly)....Has anyone had any success with drilling out the fan nozzle or replacing the nozzle selector with that of the Vindicator's yet? There was a lot of buzz about it and then it all went quiet :(

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:12 pm

Drilling out the fan blast may end up producing an awkward nozzle that's too large given the nature of the fan blast's shape. The orfice is not even and a lot has to be drilled out, so you're likely to end up with a low range nozzle akin to a riot blast. (but most likely too underpowered to be considered a riot blast - probably something as powerful as a de-nozzled XP 310.) There are some methods that can be used to turn it into a proper high range nozzle however.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 pm

I drilled out the nozzle on my Vanquisher and it worked out well. It's a little broken up at first but that stops after a moment.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.