Max I:Overload Impressions

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Max I:Overload Impressions

Post by isoaker » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:55 pm

While it'll be awhile 'til I get more picture and stats up, I just wanted to let the group know that the Max Infusion Overload appears to be CPS-based, not air-pressure based.

It's power is so-so (feels like an SC500 or SC600), but the stream behaves like a CPS-soaker.. virtually no drop-off, no angle restrictions...

Just thought the group would like to know. Thus, while not a large cannon, it does mean CPS has not been forgotten this year.

:cool:

Link to primary Super Soaker Max-Infusion Overload discussion thread
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:00 pm

Cool. I assume it gets less than 30 feet of range though. I'm expecting 25 feet, half of my CPS 2000. But if it's CPS-based, we might get something better next year. How do you know it's CPS? It didn't say so on the box on eBay.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

m15399

Post by m15399 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:05 pm

virtually no drop-off, no angle restrictions...

That's how he knows :;):

My first impression of it was that it was CPS based, but no one seemed to support that belief. Why would they totally resign a soaker instead of just changing the place of some parts and putting on some new colors? If you could tell us approximately the output on the large nozzle...? :;):

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:22 pm

Large nozzle suffers from the same problem as the Water Warriors Hydra Pak's large nozzle.. much too large for a lower-power CPS-chamber. The blaster is similar in power to an SC500 (for those who have used the SC500). The standard stream seems decent, but the large one lacks oomph.

I'll start pushing up stats later this week. Need to finish the Defender review first.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:57 pm

Well, I can relate to the SC-600 :p . I was a bit dissapointed with it though, and if that is how it is, I may not get one. Looking forward to the Defender review Isoaker! :)
ImageImage

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:57 pm

isoaker_com wrote:Large nozzle suffers from the same problem as the Water Warriors Hydra Pak's large nozzle.. much too large for a lower-power CPS-chamber.
I guess this means no new soaker this year.
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:04 am

This might be one worth getting if it really does get aproximately 55mls/s (decent powered light backpack soaker, that's sweet in my books). Is the pump a decent size? How many pumps to fill the cps chamber? Shot times?

L.A., we still haven't seen this years Buzz Bee Toys. Big Bee hasn't let us down yet, and I doubt he will this year.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:11 am

So, iSoaker, which would you prefer, a Hydra Pak or an Overload?

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"

"snap!"

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:54 pm

This might be one worth getting if it really does get aproximately 55mls/s (decent powered light backpack soaker, that's sweet in my books). Is the pump a decent size? How many pumps to fill the cps chamber? Shot times?

L.A., we still haven't seen this years Buzz Bee Toys. Big Bee hasn't let us down yet, and I doubt he will this year.

55mL/s decent? You do realize that falls short of a lowly 2x nozzle? In comparison, a 2000 supports ~30x, and a good homemade can support a stream in excess of 60x.

BBT's line will be worth waiting for, but Big Bee did let [at least me] down last year, and from what I've heard so far, will again this year. His very words included "no range improvement", the last 3 words I would ever want to hear in the world of stock soakers. No range improvement is an arrow to the heart. :(
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Soaker Master

Post by Soaker Master » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:54 pm

I wonder how isoaker answers all these questions.

Edited By Soaker Master on 1138752579

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:02 pm

Soaker Master, your reply exceeds the board guidelines of a maximum of 10 emoctions per post. Please remove them, they are annoying. iSoaker will reply when and how he chooses to, and your reply will not make him do so any faster.

Back on topic, the nozzle is awfully small. The pirahna has a larger nozzle than the Overload, like 4x. The CPS 2000 has like a nozzle that is 15 times bigger than the Overload. :(

Edited By Hannibal on 1138748566

"snap!"

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:25 pm

Yeah Dux, I do realise that it's less than a 2x stram. My favourite soaker, the max-d 6000 uses a 2x nozzle. I don't care if a homemade can support a 60x stream when my biggest competition is a 5x. Most people I play with prefer not to use CPSes (and almost never let me use my MX) because it takes the fun out of it by making the game end after only a couple shots. You can keep going with your stupid push for power, calling the soakers put out now "kiddy" and "underpowered", but you fail to realise that that's the point. WATER GUNS ARE DESIGNED FOR KIDS, FOR FUN. It's not an arms race. When the first Super Soaker was made, no one went and complained "Oh come on, it doesn't even shoot 60 mls per second!". If I started using homemades and big powerfull heavily modded super cannons, no one would play with me. Why? Because it wouldn't be fun for them. A 2x stream lowly? No. It's just more fun.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:42 pm

cooldood31 wrote:Yeah Dux, I do realise that it's less than a 2x stram. My favourite soaker, the max-d 6000 uses a 2x nozzle. I don't care if a homemade can support a 60x stream when my biggest competition is a 5x. Most people I play with prefer not to use CPSes (and almost never let me use my MX) because it takes the fun out of it by making the game end after only a couple shots. You can keep going with your stupid push for power, calling the soakers put out now "kiddy" and "underpowered", but you fail to realise that that's the point. WATER GUNS ARE DESIGNED FOR KIDS, FOR FUN. It's not an arms race. When the first Super Soaker was made, no one went and complained "Oh come on, it doesn't even shoot 60 mls per second!". If I started using homemades and big powerfull heavily modded super cannons, no one would play with me. Why? Because it wouldn't be fun for them. A 2x stream lowly? No. It's just more fun.
Yeah, I have heard this view before. It can be fun to use less powerful guns so you don't get drenched so fast. But if you dodge more, (like me) then you will not get as wet.

The reason people complain is because they used to make good guns, but now they don't. If they had never made good guns, people wouldn't be complaining. People tend to compare a company's current products with ones they have made in the past, and Super Soaker is lacking. You will find that the old SS's/XP's are as good, if not better, than the guns made nowadays.

"snap!"

m15399

Post by m15399 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:57 pm

I see what cooldood is talking about, and I feel the same way. The difference with me is I build homemades just because they're fun! If I can find someone with an older CPS, homemade/modder, or just someone who's crazy enough to fight me with a liquidator, then I would. For most battles, though, I would use my FF.

My hope is to inspire my freinds to join the homemade business :;):

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:04 pm

m15399 wrote:I see what cooldood is talking about, and I feel the same way. The difference with me is I build homemades just because they're fun! If I can find someone with an older CPS, homemade/modder, or just someone who's crazy enough to fight me with a liquidator, then I would. For most battles, though, I would use my FF.

My hope is to inspire my freinds to join the homemade business :;):
Wher do you live? I live in the Silicon Valley, and would be happy to have a water fight with you, if you're not in New York or something. :goofy:

"snap!"

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:09 pm

cooldood31 wrote:Yeah Dux, I do realise that it's less than a 2x stram. My favourite soaker, the max-d 6000 uses a 2x nozzle. I don't care if a homemade can support a 60x stream when my biggest competition is a 5x. Most people I play with prefer not to use CPSes (and almost never let me use my MX) because it takes the fun out of it by making the game end after only a couple shots. You can keep going with your stupid push for power, calling the soakers put out now "kiddy" and "underpowered", but you fail to realise that that's the point. WATER GUNS ARE DESIGNED FOR KIDS, FOR FUN. It's not an arms race. When the first Super Soaker was made, no one went and complained "Oh come on, it doesn't even shoot 60 mls per second!". If I started using homemades and big powerfull heavily modded super cannons, no one would play with me. Why? Because it wouldn't be fun for them. A 2x stream lowly? No. It's just more fun.
I have said it about a billion times already, we go for bigger stronger guns, because we don't believe in our tactics and can't win with weaker guns.
:soakon2:
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:13 pm

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR wrote:

I have said it about a billion times already, we go for bigger stronger guns, because we don't believe in our tactics and can't win with weaker guns.
:soakon2:
:D Man, that made me crack up, LA. I believe in tactics, but a wimpy gun is less fun to use, and people dread your 20x nozzle far more than your 2x, which borders on annoyance only, and no "soaking." And technology is another way to beat your opponent, a strong gun can make up for weak ability.

"snap!"

scorpion

Post by scorpion » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:18 pm

qestion Isoaker. Would you use the overload over the APD or the Hydra Pack? If you had to chose between the three what would you choose?
AXE BOMB!!!

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:20 pm

Hannibal wrote:a strong gun can make up for weak ability.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/ ... shsays.jpg

Edited By LIGHT ANNIHILATOR on 1138753390

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:35 pm

You two just totally missed out on the whole point of my last post, didn't you?

"but a wimpy gun is less fun to use, and people dread your 20x nozzle far more than your 2x"-Prime example of being unsporty.

"we go for bigger stronger guns, because we don't believe in our tactics"-I'm pretty sure that qualifies as straight out stupidity if you play as seriously as some of you guys say you do.

"can't win with weaker guns."-Well, that isn't the gun's fault, is it?

Everyone in the world seems to have a cave man mentality: If you lose a battle, go find a bigger stick to use in the next one. Has anyone here heard of stock class paintball? Those players (including myself) play paintball using pump actions, ten shot tubes, and 12 gram CO2 cylinders, going up against people with 20 ball per second electros, 200 count force feed hoppers, and big high pressure air tanks. It's a similar idea to playing with a smaller and/or less powerfull soaker. It proves that when you get a kill, it's you and your skill, not advanced tech or heavy firepower, but skill, something that seems to be lost these days.

And another thing, you complain about not being able to win without your huge CPS cannons. SO WHAT? It's a kid's game, the point is to have fun. I often play with no rules for eliminations, and just keep playing for hours. Nobody wins, and nobody loses, everybody has fun (except for those who take face shots from high power CPSs).

In conclusion, you keep your cannons, I'll keep the game fun.