Colour Schemes - How to describe

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:18 am

Here's something I've been considering, but haven't come up with a 'good enough' solution yet, thus have held off adding in things.

Basically, what's a good method of describing colour-schemes on stock soakers?

I first considered denoting main body colour and reservoir/pressure chamber colours until I realized that these days, many soakers have varying bits of detailing in different colours.

I'd like to come up with some systematic way of describing colour schemes when a picture of a particular colour scheme is not available, though known about. I figure it's still best to denote colour by part, but how many 'parts' should a soaker be subdivided into for sake of description or is a case-by-case categorization needed?

Thoughts?

My current rough thoughts are splitting soakers into:
Nozzle (includes nozzle selectors)
Frame
Pressure Chamber(s) (if applicable)
Reservoir (if visible)
Added Details (additional things like fake tubing colours)
Trim (for little bits of coloured regions like on the various XP220 recolours)
Tubing (for working visible tubing)

Somehow, though, I feel something is missing or perhaps there may still be a better way to describe things.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:18 am

I really only classify soaker colorways by their primary and secondary colors. For example, my SC600 contains the colors tan, orange, and grey, but I'd describe it as the tan and orange version. The red and yellow colorway 2700 contains orange and purple as well as red and yellow, but I just refer to it as red and yellow.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:14 pm

^ in that case, how would you classify the XP220's Lei Fang is holding on this page.

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:44 pm

I would just describe it as Red and black and green and black ???
ImageImage

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:18 pm

^ hmm.. come to think of it, those aren't quite the ones I had in mind. :goofy:

Somehow in my memory I feel there were some colour schemes that were more similar with only smaller bits of trim that differed.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:27 pm

Same as adrian i just devide colour skeems into 2 main colours. The third main one is usualy a secondary one.
As a colour combo I prefer:
Neon Yellow+ Neon Red,
Neon Yellow + Blue,
Black + Neon Red,
Black + Plum Red,
Black+ Green,
Black + Blue.

The colour combo I find butt ugly is:
Purple+Green
Any kind Camo(camos just look like an digested meal and somewhat pointless on waterguns, if your oponent has medium-good eye sight and will spot anything from a 40 meter radius.)
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:57 pm

Any kind Camo(camos just look like an digested meal and somewhat pointless on waterguns, if your oponent has medium-good eye sight and will spot anything from a 40 meter radius.)

Assuming that you're standing on an open field, that is. I've fought in reed groves so thick that camo actually works in there, you could only see someone if they moved.
I think that camo is a huge improvement over those ugly bright colored ones that also aren't appealing at all to serious fighters who use tactics and play 1HK. Soakfests lose their point rapidly once evryone is soaked, but no two 1HK games are exactly alike.

Back on topic, I usually classify colors by their main two, and if asked for more detail, then I break it down into nozzle color, reservoir color, etc.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:49 pm

Duxburian wrote:

Assuming that you're standing on an open field, that is. I've fought in reed groves so thick that camo actually works in there, you could only see someone if they moved.
I think that camo is a huge improvement over those ugly bright colored ones that also aren't appealing at all to serious fighters who use tactics and play 1HK. Soakfests lose their point rapidly once evryone is soaked, but no two 1HK games are exactly alike.

Back on topic, I usually classify colors by their main two, and if asked for more detail, then I break it down into nozzle color, reservoir color, etc.

If you are implying that Camo and 1HK is more for serious users, then I would say Nope. The nice thing about Soakfests is to annoy and perhaps hurt abit your oponent. If someone is not into that, then that would bore them of course. Same like just hiting someone with a stream would be boring to some. One game style is not more advanced over the other. Both require different tactics.

I don't know who people usualy fight in battles. If Camo works for them, then they should keep it up then. But even in the woods or a suburban environment, spoting someone hiding from a 40 meter radius is not that hard. Bushes are not that dense that they will cover a whole person completly. Camo is more something meant for Paintball and Airsoft where sniping is done from 125 feet and not from 40 feet like with soakers. Also camo on a soaker is like racing stripes on a skateboard. Just mainly a psycological factor.
The increased use of Camo apears to be a military fad that many people with soakers are into right now. So naturaly, if some don't like the military theme, they won't like Camo.
I definatly don't see soakers as weapons, so personaly yellow and red seem a natural choice for a summer toy that can be used by casual and hardcore users. I wouldn't want a bubble gum sphere to be camo coloured.

The orange nozzle that is now very much associated with soakers would technicaly not be necessary according the US toy gun Laws, since soakers don't count as replica models. So is the orange nozzle more a tradition than anything else? I wouldn't mind seeing a blue, or all-transparent neon coloured soaker. Uni-colour would be something new among soakers.

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1118727222
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:07 pm

But there aren't any real "tactics" in a soakfest. All you do is soak the other people. In a 1HK, since hits matter, you can't just charge up to someone and unload the 20x. [although it is fun] Manuevers, range, conservation, and a lot of other factors become really important.

Of course bushes and woods aren't great cover, but if you've seen some things in the parks I fight at-up to 10ft tall and very dense reed patches that you simply can't see through, you would be surprised how easy it is to avoid being seen.

In addition, if you have a gun that shoots only 40ft, you really shouldn't be using it for "sniping" in the first place.

And as for nozzle colors, chances are companies won't change them in the near future, so painting them yourself would be easier.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:49 pm

If the hiding places are that thick that no one can see through them, then why bother with the Camo?

You make 1Hk sound like its the invasion on Poland. You dodge and you hide. Thats all there is to it. The strategies are focused on avoidance and sneaking up. Hardly advanced stategy. Not much more strategy as in a soakfest.
As for soakfests, the strategy lies in where to hit and from what angle to shot from. Certain spots in the face will affect how the person will move. As an example, there is that one spot on the nosetip that will make the person loose its balance and trip when hit with a 20X stream. Again, the goal is to anoy and somewhat hurt the oponent.
Different sort of tactics in both game styles, but none can really be called more advanced over the other. And both gaming tactics are definatly NOT "advanced strategy". If Some like, they can feel free to call their preference advanced, but thats more a self esteem issue from there on.

As for the sniping, 40 feet, 50 feet or 60 feet does not matter. My point was, that sniping is usualy just justified at 125 feet on. Thats no longer a soakers realm. At least not from a purly pragmatical standpoint. As for imagination, sure sniping for soakers is fine.

[Edit]: I'm just wondering about the orange nozzles, since some no-brand soakers don't have them orange.

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1118786830

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:44 pm

You make 1Hk sound like its the invasion on Poland. You dodge and you hide. Thats all there is to it. The strategies are focused on avoidance and sneaking up. Hardly advanced stategy.

Since when are 1HK strategies based on avoidance? My team's strategies are based around direct confrontation and manuevering rather than hiding and sneaking up. Hiding isn't practical, to avoid [or confront] the enemy team, you manuever. There's a lot, a LOT more to 1HK than what's on the surface. We actually do use tactics, like obliquing to take a hill, splitting so half of the team can take the enemy in the rear half an hour later, retreating to lure the enemy to an area where they are disadvantaged, etc. We play it as a fun, cheap alternative and as seriously as something like paintball [which is banned in Ridgewood].

In soakfests, range matters not, flanking matters not, manuevers matter not, intimidation matters not, high ground matters not, everything of military significance is null. 1HK requires you to hit a certain area of the person, in our case only the shirt is in play. This makes it even more challenging to score kills. VS, soakfests, where everything is fair game, and once everyone is soaked throughly many times over, the point of fighting wears off.

It's all personal preference and opinion, so I'll agree that comparing the 2 styles isn't exactly fair to either side.

If the hiding places are that thick that no one can see through them, then why bother with the Camo?

You can barely see through them, enough to see movement and bright colors. While a camo person will most likely escape sighting, someone holding a brightly colored water gun will really stand out from the natural cover. A blind man couldn't miss them.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:03 pm

Duxburian wrote:
You make 1Hk sound like its the invasion on Poland. You dodge and you hide. Thats all there is to it. The strategies are focused on avoidance and sneaking up. Hardly advanced stategy.

Since when are 1HK strategies based on avoidance? My team's strategies are based around direct confrontation and manuevering rather than hiding and sneaking up. Hiding isn't practical, to avoid [or confront] the enemy team, you manuever. There's a lot, a LOT more to 1HK than what's on the surface. We actually do use tactics, like obliquing to take a hill, splitting so half of the team can take the enemy in the rear half an hour later, retreating to lure the enemy to an area where they are disadvantaged, etc. We play it as a fun, cheap alternative and as seriously as something like paintball [which is banned in Ridgewood].

In soakfests, range matters not, flanking matters not, manuevers matter not, intimidation matters not, high ground matters not, everything of military significance is null. 1HK requires you to hit a certain area of the person, in our case only the shirt is in play. This makes it even more challenging to score kills. VS, soakfests, where everything is fair game, and once everyone is soaked throughly many times over, the point of fighting wears off.

It's all personal preference and opinion, so I'll agree that comparing the 2 styles isn't exactly fair to either side.

You can barely see through them, enough to see movement and bright colors. While a camo person will most likely escape sighting, someone holding a brightly colored water gun will really stand out from the natural cover. A blind man couldn't miss them.

If someone is using Camo, they can't realy say that avoidance is not being aplyed. You are taking the word "avoidance" to literaly or your interpretation of the word is static. Avoidance means anything from retreating to not going directly force against force as in moving around the incoming force. Also, if you don't want to be seen which according to some is the reason why Camo is used, that implys "hiding". Using military terms won't change the concept.

Look, I have nothing against the military play in water battles. I support any kind of fantasy and imagination in games. For all I care, people can get dressed up as clowns when squirting each other. But I do disagree with the implication that people in a military getup or gameplay are more advanced users than people who don't use or don't like the whole military theme at all. A general Hierachical "soaker user food chain" based on military influence is completly absurd for a franchise/industry that has nothing to do with military gaming such as soakers.

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1118804779

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:10 pm

Methinks you're making it more complex than it need be. For example, for the standard version of the Max-D 6000, just say that it has a black body with golden tanks with orange and sky-blue trim. People will be able to identify with just that.

Edited By Soakologist on 1118808696

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:13 pm

Hmm...

Simpler is undoubtedly better. I'm presently considering describing soakers based on the 2-3 primary elements: general body colour, reservoir(s) colour, and (real or fake) pressure chamber(s) colour (if applicable). Some soakers like the SS Splashfire and MaxD5000 have fake bulbs as well as the CPS1500 having one fake bulb.