Pirahna Review - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Adrian

Pirahna Review - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Post by Adrian » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:56 am

The Good:
It felt great to have a new CPS in my hands again. I've missed those guns. The range is excellent though I estimate it falls a little short of the advertised 40 feet. I eyeballed it at about 35 feet, which is great in this day of underpowered blasters. I really liked the trigger pull. Nice and smooth, no hang-ups, no clicks. The water seems to flow out of the gun, not explode like some of my other soakers. Not only does this feel really cool, but it might give you a 1/10 of a second drop on someone, if you're targetting them from a position of concealment and don't want them ducking cause they heard your gun fire. I also really like the shape. The thumbhole stock and the compact design give it a more militaristic feel, something which is definitely lacking these days. And while I don't usually get excited about the pump on a soaker, I like this one a lot. It feels smooth, and it quickly fills the p/c.

The Bad:
The nozzle selection is really poor in my opinion. I'd recommend using the largest nozzle as next year's smallest, and advancing in size from there. The 2 smallest don't have the necessary soaking power for a gun this good. The tank should be a little flatter, without such a curve to it. The curve in the top prevents me from filling the tank to its limit, which I don't like, though it's not a big problem. I really, really don't like the lights in the gun. Electronics and waterguns don't mix, IMHO, and one of the first things I do to any electronic guns is to pull the batteries out. The pressure guage trigger is kind of uncomfortable as well, and it turns on whenever I fire. Next year I'd like to see a non-electric version of this gun. That'd rock!

The Ugly
As much as I like the shape and feel of this gun, I can't stand the pink tank and pump handle. I know it's supposed to be red (it probably is technically "red"), but it's such a pale shade of red that it looks pink to me. This is the first gun I ever thought about painting. Also, the fish on the side have to go, IMO. This is a serious gun, and the fish...aren't.

The Gun Cabinet
The shape reminds me of an FN P90, a rather futuristic-looking submachine gun that's currently in use by (I think) the UN and several European nations. However, the handling automatically (pun intended) reminds of the Heckler & Koch MP5, which is good, as the MP5 is the most used (and best all around) submachine gun in the world. Hopefully the Pirahna will achieve a similar level of success.

Overall
This is an excellent compact rifle. While I'd like to see it a little more compact, the size and handling are just right. It's got punch, staying power, and range, all of which are necessities for a good gun. I look forward to testing this gun in battle, and I'm definitely going to recommend it to my friends. Two thumbs up!

Adrian

EDIT:Edited to add more information.

Edited By Adrian on 1090937437
Link to primary Water Warriors Piranha discussion thread
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:37 am

hehe... nice review! If you don't mind, I'll be tagging it along with my review on the actual iSoaker.com review page.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:51 am

I don't mind at all. I'd be honored to have a review of mine on Isoaker.com.

I'm hoping to write a series of reviews in this similar style (Good, Bad, Ugly, Gun Cabinet, Overall) during the rest of the summer. I'm thinking I may work them in with the possible new message board I was talking about a few days ago.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:55 am

Hmm.. I see. At any rate, any reviews you choose post up here will be added to the main pages (assuming that the quality remains similar :goofy: )

:cool:

SilverFist

Post by SilverFist » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:20 pm

Adrian wrote:The Gun Cabinet
The shape reminds me of an FN P90, a rather futuristic-looking rifle that's currently in use by (I think) the UN and several European nations.

Actually, the FN P90 is a sub machine gun, not a rifle. :)

I guess I will pick up a Pirahna if I ever see it on sale. Oh yeah, how does the biggest nozzle on the Pirahna when compared to other soakers? Is the biggest nozzle like a 5x?

Edited By SilverFist on 1090894866

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:05 am

The biggest is to my knowledge, somewhere between 3x-5x. Big enough to make a nice sized water mark on someone's shirt. I highly recommend this gun.

EDIT:You were right. The P90 is a subgun after all, I checked it out online. Fires a 5.7x28 pistol round, which puts it in the submachine category. Thanks for pointing that out, I've now amended the review. Thanks again!

Adrian

Edited By Adrian on 1090937615

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:23 am

As an aside, any more news/thoughts on:
I'm thinking I may work them in with the possible new message board I was talking about a few days ago.

Got a tentative launch date? More info on what you're planning?
:cooll:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:34 am

Not much more info at this point. I want to do a series of reviews as sort of an attention getter, something to interest people in the board. Heck, I don't even know if there's gonna be a board at this point. Launching a board at the end of soaker season isn't a high percentage survival tactic, if you know what I mean. I'll keep you guys updated.

Adrian

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:42 am

Launching a board at the end of soaker season isn't a high percentage survival tactic, if you know what I mean.

If memory serves me well, Aquatica was launched in the fall. :goofy:

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:01 pm

iSc's right. AQT was launched late at night on 9/22/99. A great day for Soakerdom.
Heh, I remember AQT's launch date and the founder doesn't. :goofy:

Edited By Soakologist on 1091477134

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:13 pm

Soakologist wrote:iSc's right. AQT was launched late at night on 9/22/99. A great day for Soakerdom.
Heh, I remember AQT's launch date and the founder doesn't. :goofy:
Yup! You're much more retentive/attentive to certain details than I. :;): :goofy:

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:10 am

how does it compare with the blazer, and could you possibly get a picture up? I'm interested as to what it looks like...

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:48 pm

Can't compare it to the Blazer cause I don't have one. As for a picture, there are a few on Isoaker. Heck, my review is on his Pirahna page. How cool is that! :D

Adrian

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:41 pm

oh yeah, forgot about isoakers gun comparison feature... will have to check it out.