How much is enough? - Power, output, etc.

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:02 pm

The CPS1500 is a great soaker, of course, as well as the CPS4100 and Blazer (2005). However, when talking about 'perfect' soaker, well, need a little more than just those. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:04 pm

The perfect soaker would be a cps 3200 with more range. :cool:
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:11 pm

Meh, I'd be happy to get a mid sized 60-70mLs (or more)/second soaker with 35 foot range if didn't have a max-d trigger...

Man do I want a Blazer.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:15 pm

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR wrote:The perfect soaker would be a cps 3200 with more range. :cool:
Close, but there are still many things that could be improved on the 3200. Such as hose leakage a pump that is a wee bit hard after a while, a backpack that while durable, isn't so comfortable to wear, and a few more things. The fact that water drips on your back doesn't help either.

I think it all depends on the user. Some would prefer a souped-up backpack cannon. Others would like an improved large-sized gun, such as the 2500 with improvements (like PC size, more nozzles, range, and so on). Still others want a CPS 1000-sized gun with similar improvements. and then some want an even smaller, but still powerful gun.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:51 pm

Uh, sorry, Doom, but you're making a few physics flaws, too. Velocity of a stream leaving a soaker is positive (unless the wind blows it backwards), but acceleration is negative. Also, the car example isn't right since force does not equal zero. If you are hit by a car, your mass ends up accelerated from zero velocity to the car's velocity, thus meaning positive acceleration, thus positive force. Injury arises from forces playing on the body.

Never said I was a physicist, in fact, I only meant to show that it's too easy to make mistakes (which I think I did well). When I said velocity the first time, I meant acceleration as well, so I can easily see how someone made that mistake. The car example was done that way on purpose. I had meant to show that force will exist in a collision where both objects had no previous acceleration, but it wasn't obvious enough.

If I do ever say something incorrect, please point it out so I don't look like a moron. :D

Croc

Post by Croc » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:41 am

Some Guy wrote:You can increase a gun's range by using methods other than just increasing the power. For example if you use a nozzle that increases stream lamination and reduces wind resistance you can get increased range without more force.
That is just like my Ex 630 - it has the same firing mechanism as the classic super soakers, it has a thin stream, and has a long distance and long shot time. If the wind is blowing against you or the wind is blowing sideways, the stream will go sideways

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:51 am

@Croc: Uh, thin streams and having the wind blow your stream sideways reduces effective range (not to mention accuracy). While it is easier to produce laminar flow with thinner streams, the lack of mass/momentum in the stream makes it much more easily affected by wind/air turbulence which then causes stream break-up and loss of lamination and range.

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:44 pm

I like stock soakers, with just WBL's for general area coverage, not to shoot at a person. Each kind of soaker has its strengths and weaknesses, and that I think is what makes it special in a waterfight. :p
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:59 pm

To me, the perfect soaker would be one where the stream of water maintains a constant positive acceleration after leaving the nozzle. :goofy:
Nintendo: Ha, we have Sonic!
Microsoft: Yeah, but we got Rare.
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!

Robin4286

Post by Robin4286 » Fri May 19, 2006 8:30 pm

Too much power? Is there such a thing?

No seriously once a gun gets to the point that it stings, thats just about enough. The real issue is how big can you have the nozzle! you could make a gun that has a huge amount of power, but disperses it over such a wide range it dosen't sting. In other words people could easily bypass the 'if it stings its too big' rule. Not that i care anyways. I dont mind if a gun stings a bit.

Edit: Gah! my hands are raw from the huge waterfight I had earlier! They really need to work on those handles and triggers...

Edited By Robin4286 on 1148088693

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sat May 20, 2006 5:17 am

Usually stinging guns have less impact power than large output guns due to less mass. Then again, what would one prefer to get hit with? A Water Sting or a Water Punch?

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 20, 2006 8:34 am

Depends on the stream velocity. A 5x stream moving very quickly has more impact than a 30x stream moving slowly. People realize that they can barely dodge the faster stream and take great pains to avoid being within range of it. However, when you get that larger stream moving fast, like water launcher/cannon style, then you've got the best of both worlds.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat May 20, 2006 8:55 am

LtDan64 wrote:To me, the perfect soaker would be one where the stream of water maintains a constant positive acceleration after leaving the nozzle. :goofy:
Actually, on all Earth-based battles, all streams do experience a constant, positive acceleration after leaving the nozzle; it's called gravity. :goofy: All streams get accelerated at a constant rate towards the ground.

Now, if you were hoping for a stream to constantly accelerate linearly after leaving the nozzle,but in the original direction the stream was travelling, that breaks the laws of physics (thankfully). A constantly accelerating stream would eventually reach a lethal velocity assuming the stream didn't fragment in the process.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sat May 20, 2006 5:01 pm

Duxburian wrote:Depends on the stream velocity. A 5x stream moving very quickly has more impact than a 30x stream moving slowly. People realize that they can barely dodge the faster stream and take great pains to avoid being within range of it. However, when you get that larger stream moving fast, like water launcher/cannon style, then you've got the best of both worlds.
I was thinking along the lines of the CPS 2500, where the 20X has more impact that the 5X. A K-Modded 10X beating a MXL 23X in impact power is expected.

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 20, 2006 8:37 pm

I was thinking along the lines of the CPS 2500, where the 20X has more impact that the 5X.

20x have more impact than the 5x? I see no way how that is possible. The 2500 20x is weak and extremely slow. Of all the 20x nozzles I've seen, that is the weakest of them all, hands down.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sat May 20, 2006 10:07 pm

The 20X might not shoot the farthest or the fastest, but it has a greater impact wave(on the target) than the 5X stream. Mass makes a huge difference in an impact. Not from a far distance of course like 40 feet, but lets say 10 feet where the energy should be at its most. But to double check, I can test it again over the next days.

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 20, 2006 10:30 pm

Maybe we are thinking of different meanings of "impact." I am thinking shock value, which large streams seldom possess unless they have major power behind them. Being hit with a 20x stream is refreshing and gentle. Being hit by a highly concentrated modded 6-14x stings and the high impact is also given out in the sound of the stream hitting home.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun May 21, 2006 2:04 am

I am thinking of this equation usualy used in martial arts and boxing : mass x speed = power . So if mass would be 7, and speed would be 3 , then power will be 21. But if mass is reduced to 2, and speed is increased to 8, then impact power would be 16.

So basicaly, I am thinking that the impact power of the 20X would be still higher at the end than on the 5X. But there is a chance of course that I could be wrong on this one, and I just be certain after I did the test of which one has simply more impact force.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Thu May 25, 2006 1:18 pm

If it shoots water I don't care. I've had to use a squirt pistol before, as well as high powered home mades.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.