>>>Petition to Hasbro to bring back the CPS line<< - petition

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:34 pm

Boycotts never really changed any major laws. At least not ones that were historicaly relevant.You can't boycott a goverment.

Not exactly true. The Stamp Act of 1765 was repealed due to economic boycotts of Britain by the American colonies. The boycotts were widespread and caused British merchants to lobby for the act to be repealed. The large crowd action in the cities, petitions by the colonial legislatures, etc. were ignored. The boycotts put pressure on Britain directly and hurt the economy badly enough for the government to repeal it. Boycotts are less effective today because governments can more easily control their people. BTW "historically" has 2 Ls, "peaceful" only has 1 L, and there is no H in "wise." :p

Edited By Duxburian on 1112834137
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:07 pm

Duxburian wrote:
Boycotts never really changed any major laws. At least not ones that were historicaly relevant.You can't boycott a goverment.

Not exactly true. The Stamp Act of 1765 was repealed due to economic boycotts of Britain by the American colonies. The boycotts were widespread and caused British merchants to lobby for the act to be repealed. The large crowd action in the cities, petitions by the colonial legislatures, etc. were ignored. The boycotts put pressure on Britain directly and hurt the economy badly enough for the government to repeal it. Boycotts are less effective today because governments can more easily control their people. BTW "historically" has 2 Ls, "peaceful" only has 1 L, and there is no H in "wise." :p

Come on, no one like a spelling groupie :goofy: .

As for the "Stamp act of 1765" could you elaborate on its socio-economic relevance abit, since it seems part of the trivial issues I mentioned before that are sacreficable to the goverment and therfore boycottable. In other words not a "major law". Even for 1765, if the issue would have been another big class revolt against capitalism, I doubt that the British goverment would have caved in that easy.

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1112836371
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

vaporizer

Post by vaporizer » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:21 pm

cooldood31 wrote:Buzz Bee Toys soakers are less expensive, and they have technology similar to CPS.
Yes, they are, and yes they do. But Supersoakers are availible in more places. Big Bee, if you are reading this, send a few lightnings/Pihranhas to the Wal*Mart in Houghton, MI. Please.
My Armory:
2 MD2K
1 MD3K
1 MD5K
1 Vaporizer
1 XPsed 270 (balloons blew out, and fixed it w. a rubber band)
2 WW Glow- Blasters
1 Spider-Man soaker
1 Flash Flood
1 Triple Shot
1 Gremlin

Coming Soon
Aquapack Devastator
Liquidator

Edited by vaporizer on April 01 2005, 13:10

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:27 am

Let's not stray too far from the original thread.

Hasbro is a company, thus will likely listen more to money (i.e. sales) than to any petition. Boycotting them would only work if a large bulk of the soaker-buying population followed, but I doubt the average soaker consumer cares as much as the ones in these forums do.

That said, I'm forever an optimist when it comes to soakers. Especially now with the presence of both Hasbro and Buzz Bee Toys (and Lanard and Jakkspacific on the side), there's hopefully going to be good competition to bring on better products as companies strive to gain consumer dollars. I take the release of new CPS soakers this year as a good start, but it takes time for a corporation as big as Hasbro to move. Guess I still prefer positive reinforcement as opposed to negativity.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:06 pm

Okay, addressing things in chronological order for the entire thread....
Petition: good intentions. Poorly executed. Very poorly written. Sorry. (not really)
Duxburian's original logic: great point, and very well made!! Infallible. (<--overstatement)
Combat at Hasbro HQ: I would love to go and use their best guns on the people who once made them, but refuse to now. Unfortunately, I have yet to acquire any of these. Working on that...
The effectiveness of 6-yr-olds: Not sure they would grasp the concept of boycotting in the first place, but all they would have to do is buy either the good stuff, or nothing at all. If their parents refuse to buy them anything but the cheap stuff, then the way to follow the principles of this stance would be to say "okay, if I can't have the good stuff, I don't want you to buy me any gun at all." ...because if you did accept the 99 cent squirt gun, or buy the EES blasters or the weaker ones from this year and the last, that MONEY (we are all agreed that money is the only thing a company will listen to, in most cases...?) that you paid for the inferior toy just reinforces for them the knowledge that what people are willing to buy is crap. Nothing better.
What this all boils down to for me, is that our best course of action, IMO, is to buy the guns that are steps in the right direction. Buy the Flash Flood and the Aquapack Devastator. Pass up wimpy piston action guns and stuff with bells and whistles designed to appeal to babies. When the folks at Hasbro see that people are willing to spend $20 and $30 for better blasters, they will start making more stuff that deserves those kind of price tags, and maybe stuff of even higher quality, like the legendary CPS cannons that we so badly long to see back on shelves.
Put your money where your mouth is. We can only hope that enough people will do likewise. :soakon2:

PS: Agreeing with points made by iSoaker and others... it does seem like Hasbro is starting to sweat a lil, huh? Maybe not a full-fledged arms race just yet, but they certainly seem to be getting their act together.
...I pretty much hate this song, but I'm gonna quote it anyway...
"It takes a little time, sometimes, to turn the Titanic around..."

Edited By LtDan64 on 1113009444
Nintendo: Ha, we have Sonic!
Microsoft: Yeah, but we got Rare.
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:17 pm

You know, what really strikes me as odd is that Hasbro rereleased the XP 270 and the XP 70, but not any soakers we would like to see. Not that those are bad guns, but really, what is the point in it? It shows us that they can relerelease stuff if they want to, with relative ease. I'm not sure I see wwho they intend to sell the XP's to anyway, I doubt kids would buy them over newer designs, but that aside, it seems that if they are going to rerelease a gun, it should be something good, that the soaker community would appreciate, at least.
ownage

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:17 pm

Those two models of Super Soaker sold/sell extremely well. Not among us I'd be willing to bet, but definitely among the more casual soaking enthusiast.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:24 am

Yeah, a TRU employee told me the XP 270s just fly off shelves (overpriced for me IMO though). Those XPs must be just the right size for them to sell well - not too big to make parents say "no, that's too big", but not as small as a "water pistol".
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:47 am

^ as what Spinner noted, I've also been told soakers about the size and pricing of the XP270 sell by FAR the best.

As much as I'd love to see re-released 1998 CPS-soakers again, at present, can only wish. :goofy: At the same time, I think the 2005 line is pretty decent, though still lacking the heavy-hitting Cannons. However, for the skirmishes I tend to get a chance to partake in, I think I'll be opting to take along a Flash Flood these days as opposed to a Monster (2001)/CPS4100. It's less intimidating, meaning my friends won't run off as quickly, but the Flash Flood nozzle can still dump out enough water to make for a nice drench-mark. :goofy:

:soakw2000:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .: