Best Soaker Stat - What's the most important factor?

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Exodus

Post by Exodus » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:25 am

Hi, I've just registered and before I get anymore soakers, I'd like to know which stat is the best for soakers, for example range, output, weight and shot time. I know there is no true stat that will make you win a battle, but if you had a choice on which stat could be the highest, what would it be?

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:18 am

I'd have to say range because in the battles I have where the objective is the win, the only effective way to do this is with one-hit elimination rules. Therefore, range becomes very important because when I often become locked in a one-on-one with someone at maximum range, whoever has the soaker that shoots the farthest wins. Of course, you'll have to factor in human agility as well.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:44 am

While it does depend on game type and how long the battle is going to be, the most important stat through all of that is range. I have even made a little article on why I think that when I redesigned SSC.

Something else to think about with that is it air pressure or CPS? Air pressure can not achieve best range unless it is pumped all the way. CPS pretty much will get you about the same range regardless of how many times you pump it, that is once you get the PC full of water (1-3 pumps).

Battle specific things also could make a difference. Some people said that the velocity stat had really no use, but think about it. In the west back a long time about, during those shootouts, almost always who won had a gun with a better velocity. At least that's what I've heard. Velocity is very important in One-Hit-Kills (1HK). All it takes is one hit and you're dead. If your gun shoots faster than theirs, that is a real advantage.

If the battle is what we at SSC call a "Soakfest," where there is no elimination, just repeling your enemies with all due force. A stat that would be important is output, but not as important as range still. If you can get a good 20x stream to go 45 feet, you win this game.

Which stat is the best really depends on the game type, but overall range is going to be what is going to make the difference. You'd have to get a balanced soaker to make that effective though, a gun that weights 30 pounds but shoots 70 feet is practically stationary. Another example is a an air pressure gun that takes 100 pumps to fully pressurize but shoots 70 feet may not be very useful.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:35 am

I'd have to agree that range is the key stat to bear in mind, but not exactly for just the reasons stated above.

In many ways, range factors in output, nozzle thickness, available pressure... without enough output, there is no way for a stream to be able to travel a good range. As well, streams need a certain thickness/cohesiveness to be able to travel a distance without breaking up. In some respects, range is an indirect measure of a lot of a soaker's other attributes.

Of course, I wouldn't want to rely just on one stat. Even with excellent range, a soaker with a small firing chamber or tiny reservoir or just feels uncomfortable to use is as annoying to use as a soaker with limited range.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:04 pm

I would have to say weight and shot time.

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:26 pm

For a soakfest I'd say output and shot time.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:00 pm

Range, definitely. If you've got good range, the gun is therefore powerful up close. Sort of a two-for-one deal.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Seal Frank

Post by Seal Frank » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:34 pm

For my choice I choose shot-time because I find it annoying when the PC runs out of water in just a few seconds. This can be minimized by pulse-firing but a truly long shot tiem can only be achieved by a QFD-only soaker or a soaker with a large PC and the choice of a small nozzle. That's why I realy like to get my hands the Blazer because if I start to run out of wtare, I could always switch to the tiny under 1X nozzle.

Edited By Seal Frank on 1089412542
All charge to the battlegrounds of Hasbro!

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:39 pm

Shot time is my second choice and very close to range. I often enjoyed the half minute shot time of the Splashzooka or the full minute shot time of the SC Power Pak. Of course, this requires a sacrifice of ppower but it is one I'm willing to make because the shot is still more powerful than that of most air pressure soakers' shots.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Exodus

Post by Exodus » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:05 pm

Thanks for all your responses. I would agree with all the people who said range is the most important, but output is a possibility too. A weapon with good range is good, but a weapon with good range and output is great. :soakon2:

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:51 pm

The reason I don't consider range the most important is because I believe range is useless unless its a large stream. A .5x with a 70ft range, OOH thats soo cool:D

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:28 am

I think a good mixture of range and output is important. Like Veteran said, there's no point in having a 0.5x stream that shoots 70 feet. (not that 0.5x could reach 70 feet anyway) but at the same time there's not much point in having a 30x stream that goes one metre or less. Shot time is also important, but I don't think it's as important as a mixture of range and output. An example of a great mix of range and output is the CPS 2000, which is one big reason why it's so great. It may lack in shot time, but a well placed short burst from one will drench the enemy. Agility is also an important factor.

Seal Frank

Post by Seal Frank » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:01 am

I'd say range and shot time. You could shoot far and shoot for a long time.
All charge to the battlegrounds of Hasbro!

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:17 pm

Range. If you can reach them without them reaching you, how can you get beat?

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:18 pm

You can get beat by a guy with a blaster shield.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:44 pm

Alright.. but how many fighters not Soaker Phreaks like us have blaster shields? :blues:

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:17 pm

I posted on this, but it must have been deleted or something. There is no one most important stat. It changes depending on the battle conditions. For example, range is crucial on an open field in 1HK. That same stat is not important in a dense forest or in a soakfest. The same changes apply to ouput, shot time, etc. The importance of a stat varies constantly, and no one stat dominates all types of battle and situations.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

CPS

Post by CPS » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:20 pm

i would have to say range, if you have range it is going to be powerful close up also to have range it has to be a large stream to not break up
here, you know you've won when you hear "blub blub ahhh! i give up"

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:23 pm

Great point, CPS. If a long range soaker hits someone up close, it's going to be more coherent, which means more sting.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:07 am

I said the blaster shield was easy to make dude. It costs 5 bucks and a little duck tape, or maybe none depending on your shield type.