Monstrous Recall - Super Soaker Monster Rocket

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:47 am

Looks like the Monster Rocket has been causing problems.

See: Monster Rocket Recall

Go fig'

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:34 am

So it's not because of any defect, its because a bunch of little dolts decided to act stupid with it ("look at me Timmy, I'm going to stand directly under a falling rocket!"), got hurt, and their parents launched off a couple of angry letters. Sheesh. They deserved what they got for not being careful.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:33 am

May be true for some, but the way the article describes some of the accidents, with the rocket body separating from the tail fins, etc, not 100% sure. Granted, under proper supervision with appropriate care taken, I don't foresee how any of those accidents couldn't have been avoided. It is a projectile. One must treat it with respect and be wary of its flight path. Oh well... sadly, injuries due to misuse are likely what is keeping the power level of stock soakers on the lower side.
:(

ChrisReid

Post by ChrisReid » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:22 pm

Time to stock up at Target.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:55 pm

Ridiculous. This is a result of Hasbro making a defective product and kids being idiots. When the rocket is coming at you, RUN, MORONS.
No matter, these will be on eBay for a long time to come...

Timmitop

Post by Timmitop » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:39 pm

("look at me Timmy, I'm going to stand directly under a falling rocket!")

Ok, you wanted me to look at you.
I'll bet my first soaker was worse than yours.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:02 pm

[LOL @ Timmitop]

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:10 pm

I was watching the 24 local news channel at 8:41 and on the current newsbar at the bottom of the screen their was a headline about 230,000 Super Soakers beign recalled. My mom asked, "Is this because the water gusn are too powerful?" I replied, "Of course not. This year's watre guns are far less powerful than the previous years'." I never thought that it was the Monster Rocket until I checked on the forums. I don't see how foam from 100 ft up can cause a concussion, even if it hurts a lot.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:54 pm

I don't see how foam from 100 ft up can cause a concussion, even if it hurts a lot.

The concussions appear to be mostly caused by the reservoir cap (at least that's my understanding from the article). The reservoir is filled and pressurized in order to push water into the rocket prior to launch. However, the reservoir will still have some remaining pressure after launch. If one loosens the outer part of the reservoir cap too quickly without letting the pressurized air leak out in a controlled manner, you end up with a cap fired potentially rather forcefully at you.

As for the falling rocket hitting people, perhaps it may be hitting people who didn't realize it was there? I still feel all these accidents could have been easily prevented. Unfortunately, in many cases, stupidity rules. *sigh*

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:13 am

^^^In many cases, stupidity rules? It's got like a crown, throne, and scepter!

Just thought I'd add something funny.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

ChrisReid

Post by ChrisReid » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:02 pm

There is a very hard plastic portion to the rocket. Nobody is getting hurt by the inflatable or foam portions.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:19 pm

ChrisReid wrote:There is a very hard plastic portion to the rocket. Nobody is getting hurt by the inflatable or foam portions.
Now I see where the injuries come from. I think that Hasbro should modify the Monster Rocket to be completely made out of foam/inflatable parts or at least with all the hard parts covered up in soft material. They could release the modified version next year and not have to end the pressurized water rocket novelty altogether.

Shadowstrike Prime

Post by Shadowstrike Prime » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:26 pm

"May be true for some, but the way the article describes some of the accidents, with the rocket body separating from the tail fins, etc, not 100% sure. Granted, under proper supervision with appropriate care taken, I don't foresee how any of those accidents couldn't have been avoided."

Agreed. Of course, that would require that children not be stupid and that parents not be stupid... well, that's just asking too much. We can't have kids with common sense and parents who take responsibility, now can we?
"...Yes."

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:23 pm

Heh, That's really sad, I really must agree with the two posts above.

The SuperSoaker was designed as a GUN, not a ROCKET!

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:27 pm

Being curious, was there ever another recall on a Super Soaker product? Although it was once thought by many (including me) as a true safety issue, the CPS 2000 story was simply an urban legend, rather than an actual legal case. My knowledge of soakers dosen't seem to go far enough for me to know about any true past recalls.

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:06 pm

Well, I'm glad I don't want it, and either way, Super Soaker® should not be in the rocket business. That would be like making a GI Joe accordian. :p
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...

ChrisReid

Post by ChrisReid » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:19 pm

The Monster Rocket was the not first official Super Soaker Rocket.. On a related note, there is also a GI Joe Super Soaker.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:27 pm

Not to mention the "Super Soaker Rocket," a Classic/Original Series toy. Like the SSMan, Wing Thing, or Bow & Arrow.

ChrisReid

Post by ChrisReid » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:06 pm

Soakologist wrote:Not to mention the "Super Soaker Rocket,"
That was, in fact, what I was mentioning..

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:23 pm

You mean the one you implied?
The Monster Rocket was the not first official Super Soaker Rocket.. On a related note, there is also a GI Joe Super Soaker.

You didn't explicitly mention it. But if you say that's what you meant, whatever. I'm not one for nitpicking.