Trivia question: about ball valves

Water warfare-related pictures, videos, comics, humour, trivia, fun findings, etc.
isoaker

Trivia question: about ball valves

Post by isoaker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Just when I thought I knew most things about Super Soakers, something always ends up surprising me.

In order to see if I've forgotten something, I'm posing this question to the group:
What Super Soaker and/or Nerf Super Soaker model uses a regular (non-Max-D) ball valve?

There are a lot of Water Warriors water blasters that use regular ball valves, but I'm having trouble naming even just one example of a Super Soaker/Nerf Super Soaker-branded water blaster that uses a normal, non-Max-D ball valve.

Edit: Update - just identified a couple. Anyone here know which model(s) they might be?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Trivia question: about ball valves

Post by HBWW » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:20 pm

All use regular ball valves. =p They just have different triggering systems for it.

The main non-Max-D, ball valve based, Hasbro-era SS that comes to mind is the Iron Man 2. I'm pretty sure any pre-CPS lever triggered air powered blaster uses a ball valve too, including XXP's and the SS300.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:13 pm

CA99 wrote:All use regular ball valves. =p They just have different triggering systems for it.

The main non-Max-D, ball valve based, Hasbro-era SS that comes to mind is the Iron Man 2. I'm pretty sure any pre-CPS lever triggered air powered blaster uses a ball valve too, including XXP's and the SS300.
Nicely done! :cool: Not sure about the Iron Man 2, though. I recall seeing some thread about it, but the only internal pics I've seen of it are from a rather modified blaster and its upper "flood" nozzle still used the Max-D system.

As for Max-D being a regular ball valve with a different trigger system, point accepted and I'd agree with that assessment in one sense. However, for sake of argument, I'm classifying iMax-D valves as a different valve system since its operation results in slightly different (improved) stream performance that isn't easily replicated by the manually operated standard ball valve configuration.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Hydro Cannon has a huge ball valve and is non Max-D (which is why the trigger uses 2 fingers)
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Really guys?? There's quite a few...
SS300, XP250
XXP 275 (And NOT XXP 175, which is a pull valve)
Iron Man 2/Arctic Blaster is also MAX-D valve. Same goes for Flash Flood.
Secret Strike uses a MAX-D valve as well.
And yes, the Hydro Cannon.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:05 pm

The Iron Man 2 blaster does not use a Max-D system. I've seen internal pictures. That, along with lever-trigger blasters and the HC are the only Nerf/Super Soakers I can think of at the moment that use regular ball valve mechanisms.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:00 pm

The pics I've found of the Iron Man 2 shows its flood nozzle having a Max-D ball valve. I'd want to see pics of an opened, stock Iron Man 2 to see whether the stream nozzle is a non-Max-D ball valve.

That said, the handful of examples is far from the number of Max-D-using Super Soakers out there. I was actually surprised not to have found more, truthfully.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:43 pm

The performance of a faster-opening valve is arguably irrelevant for shooting water. For air releases, it's much different since you're using a brief puff of air to launch a projectile. However, it is useful to categorize them differently because Max-D has important implications for the maintenance and ergonomics of a blaster. (i.e. More force required to pull trigger, provides more haptic feedback to when it's opened.)

Can't say much on the IM2/AB. All I know is that in the store, the IM2 trigger I tested out had a direct pull, and some previous poster confirmed that internally, it uses direct pull/spring as opposed to Max-D. I've messed around with AB's in the past and those use Max-D's.

Secret Strike's fan blast trigger system is direct spring, not Max-D. The small stream trigger system is Max-D though.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat