iSoak'D 071: Darts Versus Water

Water warfare-related pictures, videos, comics, humour, trivia, fun findings, etc.
isoaker

iSoak'D 071: Darts Versus Water

Post by isoaker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:36 am

Note: I do NOT recommend mixed ammo wars involving paint ball or AirSoft weaponry, of course. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

martianshark

Re: iSoak'D 071: Darts Versus Water

Post by martianshark » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Have you ever been shot by stefan darts from a Titan? I'd rather be soaked. :goofy:
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:16 pm

martianshark wrote:Have you ever been shot by stefan darts from a Titan? I'd rather be soaked. :goofy:
Would you prefer to be on the receiving end of a modded Titan or on the receiving end of Ben's Super Cannon II?

Unless you start adding in the fact that darts can be modded to have weighted, sharp tips that can break skin, when it comes to standard and lightly-modded/built blasters, water blasters still push out more energy/blast per shot than foam-dart blasters. :goofy:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Metal BB weighted darts with hot glue coverings shot to land over 200ft versus getting knocked off your feet onto the ground with a SCII. It's apples and oranges at that point; choose your favorite method of getting severely injured.

Fun fact: After removing the screen on the HydroCannon, you can stick in a short piece of CPVC, load Nerf darts into it, and fire away. Technically you might even be able to have it shoot water after it expels the dart. I'd have to try that with my Flash Flood to verify though.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:40 pm

I'd much rather take a shot from SCII. I actually think that Nerf in the slingshot-weight era hurt way more than airsoft does. Sure, airsoft pellets can be accelerated much faster than darts, but they are still just light bits of plastic. But, ~2006-2009 stefans were essentially steel hunting shot with a foam sabot. Even a plugged AT2K with brass barrels can break skin with slingshot weights. Try taking a hit from a Nat Geo gun on skin from 5 ft out. That shit hurts. A less routine nerfer might welt for 2 weeks from that. With that said, water guns still pwn mixed wars. A big water cannon or launcher will send them running in a hurry.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:58 pm

DX wrote:Even a plugged AT2K with brass barrels can break skin with slingshot weights. Try taking a hit from a Nat Geo gun on skin from 5 ft out. That shit hurts. A less routine nerfer might welt for 2 weeks from that.
This is why I don't understand why people think Nerf/paintball is better, that stuff hurts a lot!

Any way, great Comic, as far as new SS guns go though, I think any thing other then the Hydrocannon wouldn't even be as effective as un-moded darts. Do I see a possible sequel with the Nerf SwitchShots?
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:56 pm

If the Nerf war was in the winter, it'd be pretty bad to be shot by a Hydrocannon. Steffans can sting a lot, but if you get shot by cold water on a cold day, it's going to be a huge shock.

I have tried joining the Nerf community, but everyone I've come across seems to be a major asshole. Glad we don't have that problem here.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:27 pm

What a coincidence! I was thinking about mixed battles a few weeks ago. I have quite a few Nerf guns at home, and I was thinking about trying a mixed war sometime. This comic has changed my mind a little, but I still think it would be interesting to try.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 pm

A mixed war could damage your nerf guns.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:40 pm

You mean it would damage the water guns. Nerf gun casings tend to be very hard and can take a lot of hits. Water guns might get dented, especially big reservoirs and PCs that are thin, like on XP 150s, but I doubt it. The curvature on these weaker features coupled with movement would protect them from damage. Shoot a medium power nerf gun at a free-standing cardboard box. It will probably bounce off. Shoot it at the box with a heavy book on top of the box. It will probably fire through. Now, nerf guns might get damaged internally from getting wet, but that goes for everything. Water guns are not really designed to get wet - the springs, bars, rings, and screws can all rust. If the nerf gun gets totally soaked, it can usually just be opened and air dried after the war.

The issue I see with a mixed war is that the nerf side wouldn't really...do anything. You can ignore darts, even ones that hurt, more easily than a blast of water. A mixed war with hit rules would never work, since a typical nerf primary shoots around 90'-130' with slugs and 120'-160' with slingshot darts. Ambushing would work, but you still might end up taking lots of close range hits and not everyone can handle that.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Well, none of my Nerf guns are modded or anything, so I doubt they'd be powerful enough to dent plastic. I actually don't think they can shoot all that much farther than a high-powered water gun.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:14 pm

I have quite a few Nerf guns as well. Don't really use them much other then shooting targets though. I occasionally have one on one indoor battles, but my house isn't really big so that is not great. I would love to have out door battles but every place I know has to many people (paranoid parents who's probably call the police) or so many leaves the darts would never be found, and I doubt the park service would like that. I do have two Night Finders that I moded when I started getting into the Nerf community, but then Hasbro started glueing them together so that kind of spoiled that.

I have never really considered mixed wars or at least not with water guns, I've used unloaded Nerf guns with cap guns playing imagination war with friends, but an unmoded nerf gun vs. ever a Flash Flood is a no contest. Unmoded Nerf guns shoot only as far or less then most water guns, and they have continues fire so unless you want to mix battery Nerf guns and water, it wouldn't really work just by the shot/second ratio.

I had very little experience with Nerf forums, I think I made an account at some point, but I'm not sure I ever even posted anything, might have just looked, I have herd that they aren't to nice though.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:52 pm

I would rather be shot by a SCII in a normal config vs. getting shot by one with 20+ feet of CPVC on the end and a stefan in there.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:35 am

Long CPVC barrels create a ton of friction and slow down darts when they are over the optimal length. What you don't want to get hit by is one that is optimized with a heavy dart.

We should try a nerf war sometime and you guys should come out to NIC wars if you are interested. Even if you're not so hot on the nerfing part, it's a good chance to meet and get to know each other. One reason why I second M4's assessment that 2011 may have been the best year ever is the real life networking that took place. I met SSC Ben in Maryland and again at a huge indoor UMD nerf war, met M4 in New York City, met Wetmonkey here, met Scott and Seal's crew at the Community War, and Seal again at that new lake site. We've had crazy adventures...like being at Ben's place and realizing that the Metro stops running at midnight, sprinting 3 miles in the dark through parks and sketchy neighborhoods, and making it with 3 minutes to spare. Or, being insanely lost in the Catskill wilderness doing circles around the Ashoken Reservoir, going on a wild goose chase in search of Dug Hill and then water sources, and then almost starving in front of a McDonalds under construction. We also managed to end up at Waterbridge in Ridgewood and crashed Nibordude's door, only to learn that he was still out at work. Obviously, the Community War was a blast. The scouting trip wasn't dull either, having found all those cool new fighting areas. 2011 finally put faces onto a good chunk of the water warfare community and made it immensely more fun. RL networking leads to more wars, too. Now if only iSoaker would be willing to show himself, then we could have at least a 3v3 here in the northeast. Me, iSoaker, and Wetmonkey vs Seal's crew somewhere in NY or CT. I feel a 2nd war brewing for 2012 in addition to the Community War...

Although, if we had a water war community nerf war, we'd need to ramp up some arsenals. I personally use a top-of-the-line, Pump-Action Rainbow rev 2 prototype. This is a Ryan-made springer homemade with a K26, 5.75" of draw, 8 shot hopper and Chicago style barrel. That is a badass mofo and mows down anything that isn't homemade or heavily modded. You can take this thing 1 on 6 and actually have a decent chance of surviving. Anyway, I have a bunch of loaner guns, but they aren't that great (as in 70'-95' ranges and older reloading systems like speedloaders and one RSCB). Specifically, I have a Big Blast, custom modded DT3, BBB, Maxshot, AT3K, AT2K, SM 1000, and two PAS that can act as loaners. Still, speedloaders vs hoppers is a huge disadvantage.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:26 am

I think I will probably stay out of a community Nerf war, if people would be willing to lone me a gun (though my moded Nightfinders get 60-90) I might be willing to come so let me know. Defiantly let me know about any big water events starting up any where, I will come to those.

Maybe isoaker should put when he is available on that doodle calendar, it would be sweet if he could come to Downpour/CSW (I'm giving it another week but downpour will almost certainly win, so if you have yet to vote vote now!).
Last edited by scottthewaterwarrior on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:56 pm

scottthewaterwarrior wrote:Maybe isoaker should put when he is available on that doodle calendar, it would be sweet if he could come to Downpour/CSW (I'm giving it another week but downpour will almost certainly win, so if you have yet to vote vote now!).
Oh, that's easy, but unfortunate. Basically, count me out. Not with a 3.5-year-old. :goofy: Unless we can turn it to a fully sponsored event where representation is the key, it's not going to happen.

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:16 pm

I have an acount on NH, but am waiting till I come up with a mod that is at least somewhat innovative (seems the best way to not get hunted down and shot with a singled titan point blank).
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple