The following is copied from the original thread on the iSoaker.com Ikonboard.
While I definitely like to have detailed explanations when needed, there are also times then too much detail can just be overwhelming and unmanageable for ease of use.
In our overall goal of trying to promote water warfare, while the soakfest is great, we're still more likely to get others interested by having a solid basis for forms of organized games that can be scored or judged in some way. To hold tournaments, need a way to figure out who won. However, large rule sets are unwieldy and intimidating.
Thus, I am looking for the membership's help in coming up with a basic rule set with hopefully no more than 10 defined rules. Rules should be as straightforward as possible while leaving little room for misinterpretation. If we can come up with a working set that has even less than 10 rules, but still covers all the basics, that'd be even better.
To simplify things from the start, let's begin by working on an up-to-10 rules for a basic two competing teams game (i.e. scoring or elimination, but not more complex like capture-the-flag, king-of-the-hill, etc).
If you cannot or do not wish to try to come up with a full 10-rule set, but still have ideas, feel free to also just suggest a few rules that you feel need to be addressed in some way or another. This is an open and evolving discussion; opinions and ideas are most welcome and desired!
1) No violence
2) If you completely soak someone (no dry spots left on their shirt) you get a point, and they're out (either for the rest of the game or until they have a dry spot, your choice)
3) Team with the most points at the end of the game wins (even if the winning team has been completely eliminated)
4) Someone help me out here...
1) along the lines of "No violence", water warfare should, IMO, remain a non-contact sport. Thus, no aggressive physical contact between players
For an organized soakfest, 100% soaked is, interestingly enough, actually hard to judge. >80% or having some sort of defined hit area might be a better option.
I figure there needs to be some rule about permitted water sources, time limits, and game boundaries, as well as something about not soaking or intimidating non-players/innocent bystanders.
Is this an attempt at keeping the Creation of a Water Warfare League over on WWc alive? That was making some progress and it's a shame to see it die.
General rules (apply to all gametypes):
-No aggressive physical contact permitted. If this rule is broken, you are out of the game, and future games probably.
-Both sides must agree on boundaries and legal water sources. Going out of bounds has different penalties for differen game types, so I'll discuss that later. If you use an illegal water source, well f*** you
-No soaking bystanders or non players, because they'll probably beat you up. Different story if they ask you to shoot them.
-No cheating (obviously). Punishment is the same as physical aggression punishment.
-Points can only be scored if the shot hits the person's shirt.
-If someone is injured, halt the game immediately.
1) If you soak someone to a predetermined amount (eg. 80% of their shirt is soaked), you get a point, and they're out (either for the rest of the game or until they have a dry spot, your choice).
2) Team with the most points at the end of the game wins (even if the winning team has been completely eliminated).
3) If you go out of bounds, your team loses a point.
One Hit Scores:
This is actually similar to organized soakfest.
1) If you shoot someone, they're out for a predetermined amount of time (there are two options here, either any hit counts or a certain sized hit is required). Your team gets a point.
2) The team with the most points after time is up wins.
3) If you go out of bounds, your team loses a point. No further penalty is applied.
One Hit Kills:
1) If a hit is scored (see One Hit Scores), the person shot is out of the game.
2) There is no time limit. The team that completely eliminates their opponents wins.
3) If you go out of bounds, you're out of the game for a predetermined period of time.
-In One Hit Kills or One Hit Scores, the following can be used to determine a hit:
-Any amount of water on the recipient's shirt.
-A fist sized splash of water on the recipient's shirt.
-A soaker tag or homemade tag does whatever it's supposed
to do when exposed to water.
-If using Ben's idea of grids on the shirt, if a certain number of
them is soaked.
-In One hit Scores or Organized soakfest, you can respawn if one of the following happens:
-The predetemined time period is up.
-You shoot an opponent. In this case, your team doesn't get
any points and that person isn't out, but you're back in the
-A teammate tags you.
Feel free to add to it. I know I stole some people's ideas, so please don't take it personally, this is me brainstorming.
@mr. dude: This is along those lines, but in a way, aiming simpler. I'm hoping the League Creation Development continues, but time will tell. As for this thread, I'm hoping to come up with a really simplified set. The above rule set you posted looks great, clean, and all, but is still on the slightly long side. Think it can be shortened further?
Maybe if the different game types were seperated it would be better?
If not, what should be removed?