A fun idea I have - Water gun game

Water warfare game types, ideas, rules, organization, etc.
Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:35 pm

I got this fun idea stuck in my head, and I'd really like to see it come to life. Thought I'd try making a nice Contra-style water gun shooter game. I actually tried making something like this with TGF (The Games Factory), but then my computer kinda died and we had to get a new one, so that project was lost. But now TGF2 (The Games Factory 2) is such an incredible improvement over the original TGF, I thought I'd try a newer and more advanced version of that project, maybe move up to MMF2 (Multimedia Fusion 2).

These are some of my ideas planned:
- Scrolling platform adventure shooter

- 1P mode, 2P co-op mode, 2P versus (assuming I can find a combination of controls that don't lock up keyboards very easily)

- Accurate projectile physics

- Real weapons

- Unlockable characters, some original, mostly "guests" from various games/anime (such as Sarah McDougal and Kaolla Su from Love Hina. Lol I'd die to see THOSE two with water guns :laugh:! Also I saw a clip of a Higurashi episode where everyone DID have a water war!)

- Unique character-exclusive special weapons/abilities

- Gain experience and buy new equipment to improve your character's stats and abilities

Sound like a fun idea?

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:02 pm

This idea has been thought of several times, I've yet to see a working model though.
I work in comuter 3D-Animations and my brother is learning how to program, so maybe someday we'd try that out.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:10 pm

Sounds neat! Duxburian is trying to use Reality Factory to create a FPS, but this experience should be just as cool. Good luck!

I'd love to see updates about your project and some more information.

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:15 pm

Well this is gonna be a 2D project if I go ahead with it. I'd wanna keep it a nice straightforward platformer, kinda like the old Super Mario Bros. games.

With TGF2's new abilities over TGF, this could actually be fairly easy to make. Actually the only reason I failed at every attempt was because my computer kept catching viruses that destroyed my harddrive, or even just stopped working for no reason. I had to reformat the darn thing like every two months it was so bad. But now I got a new high-end computer with great security and recovery/backup tools.

Well since this got some good feedback, I think I can go into more intricate details.

You start off with three characters (these are based on me and my two best friends)

Danny M. - basic all-round character, favorite weapon: Arctic Shock, special ability: Limiter-off (When activated, some stats are increased and user is unaffected by fatigue or other conditions, but after it wears off, user's fatigue is maxed)
Karasu Tomoe (Evangel) - speed-based character, favorite weapon: Flash Flood, special ability: Quick-dodge (Instantly relocates user a small distance)
Bryan B. (Seraph) - heavy-artillery character, main weapon: Monster X, special ability: Cypher drone (A mini RC helicopter equipped with a small water cannon and grenade launcher - I'm actually considering looking into building something like that irl. lmao)

I guess there's gonna be two main modes of play:
-Adventure: this is the main game, where you just go through various levels and stages like any classic platformer. You can use any character you've unlocked, and (hopefully) a second player can join in.
-Challenge: each character has its own little story mission you can do. First time you complete it, you'll be challenged by someone linked to that particular event, and if you beat them, you unlock them to use in Adventure and Challenge modes. (Example: my idea for Sarah McDougal would be that she has to stop Seta's kid apprentice from setting water bombs to flood an excavation site, but after you clear it, the bomber takes out Seta with a HUGE bomb trap, so now she has to find him and take him out. Sound familiar? I kinda got it from MGS2. lol)

I plan on having several gauges:

Internal Gauges

Stamina - basically your mental stability, hit 0 and you're forced to retire (a.k.a. Knockout). Replenishes over time.

Soakage - by getting shot, your soakage level increases. The higher the soakage level, the slower your stamina gauge replenishes, and possibly the less mobile you'll be. Wears off over time. (Actually, this one is pretty sketchy at the moment, any ideas for this would be helpful.)

Energy - used for running, jumping, etc. Replenished by resting.

Temp - your temperature increases from intensive activity like running or jumping, and decreases by resting or getting shot. If your temperature gets either too high or too low, some basic stats such as speed and defense are cut, and you may start consuming more energy than normal.

Special - the amount of "ammo" you have for your special ability. Each character handles this differently: some have a lot for a relatively weak ability, and some have little ammo for a very strong ability; some have fixed ammo, some characters recharge their ammo over time, and some may even have infinite ammo.

External Gauges

Weapon Tank - the amount of water in the weapon's main resevoir.

Weapon Chamber - the amount of water in the weapon's firing chamber.

Setting (if applicable) - The current nozzle setting the weapon is set to.

A lotta gauges yeah... now for some info on costumes

Either wearing a lot of layers or wearing hardly anything each have their own advantages, in my experience. Now I'm not 100% sure about the accuracy of these physics, but anyway, taking what you know about the various gauges I'm gonna use (remember these are all just rough ideas):

Basically, a costume's Defense rating reduces damage you take to your Stamina gauge. Porosity rating basically determines the size of your Soakage gauge (or for lack of a better term, your costume's stamina gauge). For example, wearing several layers of something like cotton gives you decent Defense but high Porosity, so it can shield from a lot of stamina damage, but at a cost, your stamina will replenish more slowly until it dries. In contrast, light clothing doesn't shield against much, but it also doesn't trap as much depending on the material. Therefore, you may not be able to withstand much, but you'll be able to regain yourself very quickly. Nylon-based pieces have very low (if ANY) Porosity and high Defense, essentially becoming a kind of body armor, and being barechested would give you pretty much zero Porosity. (Once again these stats are still sketchy, any ideas would be appreciated.)

Then there's heat. Obviously, if you're wearing a winter outfit in the summer, you're gonna be pretty hot. With that in mind:

A costume's Insulation rating determines how you manage your Temp gauge. Heavier clothing means you're Temp will increase toward the "hot-zone" more sharply as you move around, forcing you to move around very carefully. Lighter clothing won't produce quite as much heat, so you won't have to worry as much about movement management, but taking fire will reduce your temperature toward the "cold-zone" more sharply, ESPECIALLY if your hit by an Arctic Shock. :;):

If there's anything else you want to know, just let me know. I'll think of more stuff to list as I start to remember...

Edited By Evangel on 1171741896

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:05 pm

Sounds fairly well thought through.

There are a lot of internal gauges though. The stamina one is interesting, fairly unique but I'm not sure it's necessary. Temperature is also unique, perhaps not necessary but definitely fits well with a water-based game. Also, how do you lose "stamina?"

Neat idea about the costumes, I can't think of many games involving defense like that. Very nice!

You should also consider another mode that involves one-hit-kill (1HK) instead of a soakfest. Don't get me wrong, this mode sounds great, very unique, and more fun than anything else. Just note that a 1HK mode would more close resemble other platformers.

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:50 pm

You lose stamina by taking fire. You just take less damage if your soakage level is low, and it recharges pretty quick. Here's really how it works: when you get soaked in real life, it's a big shock to your system (damages your stamina), but you get over it pretty quick. Wearing layers protects direct soakage to the skin, when clothes are soaked though, they can be uncomfortable and can hinder recovery (stamina recharges more slowly). P.S. Ice weapons like Arctic Shock do extra damage to Stamina on contact.

The temp gauge is mainly a way to make help make weapons like Arctic Shock more useful, as well as make the game more realistic.

Hm yeah, I could maybe add a 1HK mode for Versus, but for Adventure and Challenge modes, the character's really aren't just playing around. When my friends and I were kids, the wars we had against the others were actually a pretty serious matter, thus there WERE no rules; the objective was to force the other team to retreat. But yeah a 1HK option could definitely work in Versus.

Edited By Evangel on 1171808907

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:01 pm

Wow, that's cool. I caught onto the whole psychology thing earlier, but this makes it sound even better. Now I really want to see it in action!

Should definitely set this apart from other games.

There should be a logarithmic scale for the soakage level--with an asymptote at the maximum soakage level. So maybe your soakage buffer gets decreased by 20% each time you get shot, so you can never get equal to or above maximum soakage. I'll explain more if it's too confusing. It's just a concept though, your setup sounds great.

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:09 pm

I get it with the logarithmic scale, but is it realistic? Also, I'm not quite sure how I could do logs with the TGF inferface, especially since it doesn't allow fractions or decimal numbers, nor does it produce them.

Edited By Evangel on 1171764836

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:15 pm

Sorry, exponential decay is probably closer than a logarithmic scale. I got it confused. I don't know what the interface is like, but maybe you could have a value for the amount of "dryness" you have and multiply it by .8 or whatever each time you get shot. Or maybe the value you multiply by should depend on the soaker.

In my opinion, it's fairly realistic. You can't be drenched any more than a certain limit--where your clothes are completely soaked. And when you're shot, you can probably move a little closer to the limit, but not quite get there. I dunno, a regular system would be just as realistic probably.

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:16 pm

Well as I said, TGF doesn't allow decimals in calculations. So I couldn't use ".8" anyway.

Whoa... wait! TGF doesn't allow decimals, but TGF2 does! Sweet!

well anyway, that exponential decay idea sounds pretty interesting. I still kinda question the realisticness, but hey I'm not a physicist...

Edited By Evangel on 1171766430

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:10 pm

Well, good luck on whatever you use in the game! Sounds like one of the differences between TGF and TGF2 was a simple edit to use doubles instead of integers.

It really sounds like you do know the application inside and out, and I really don't doubt you could make it. People have discussed possibilities for water warfare games before, but you definitely have the most knowledge for making it.

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:36 pm

Yeah, that's not the only up with TGF2 over TGF. It's pretty much all-round more powerful, more options, oh and here's something:

With TGF I would've had to figure out all the formulas and calculations to determine the physics of water, how it travels, falls, everything. But TGF2 has a new preset movement pattern you can set that'll make the water fly and fall perfectly. That's a major help.

Croc

Post by Croc » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:26 pm

@Evangel: You could make a target practice game where you have to try and hit the targets with your water gun, instead of going extremely complicated with TGF 2. You could make your own target practice game or something.
***Now, to what I was going to say***
I might try to make a game using TGF 2 or maybe even Reality Factory 2 if I can understand how to make things in it...

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:06 am

Well, I kinda want it to be a platformer, those IMO are usually the most addictive.

Okay now the problem I'm facing now regarding multiplayer is that it's you can only press and hold so many keys at once before the keyboard stops accepting input. And with all the controls I'm gonna need, finding a combination that won't lock up the keyboard is extremely hard, if not impossible. I can divert this problem by setting a control type to joystick, which will free up the keyboard, but I understand that not everyone HAS a joystick. Could that be a problem?

Btw, working on the character list right now. I'm counting about 15-20 playable characters as of now, maybe 6-7 of which are original characters I made up...

P.S. New ideas for costumes. Changed "Porosity" to "Thickness" and made a new "Porosity" stat that affects how it repels or traps water. High Porosity means that a larger percentage of water is added to the Soakage gauge. Thickness basically determines how big your Soakage gauge is.

Edited By Evangel on 1171808304

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:30 am

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'd love to see a demo or even screen caps of development as things progress. Platform-games can be fun, indeed (I've been hooked on Contra before). :goofy:

A waterwar-game would be fantastic to see as a platformer and it already looks like you put a good amount of thought into the game design.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks. I just hope that schoolway doesn't get too much in the way. But at the end of April, I'll be off for two whole semesters.

Oh and there's also the dilemma of how to make the sprites. I suck at drawing on the computer, so main idea is to use custom BattleCharSets from RPG Maker 2003, cuz they're generally very simple to modify, plus they fit best with the anime style. Problem is that the movement range is pretty limitted. I could maybe try other games like Megaman as templates, they have wider ranges but are a lot harder to modify for me.

Edited By Evangel on 1171815791

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:32 am

How many keys are accepted at once? I've done muiltiplayer on several different computers, on keyboard only, doing 3 player on prj64 games, but it's engine is a lot different.

Maybe it'll be better to create an internet and LAN system? And for single player, the controls definately shouldn't be limited to keyboard, more like mouse to fire and aim, and keyboard to move and perform actions. But of course, I don't know much about how this works.

For sprites, I could probably make some, but they won't fit any anime style, they'll either be pixel art or a rendering from a 3d modeler.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:37 am

Depends on what combination of keys. Usually the max is 4-5 keys, but some combinations I've found allow up to 7.

I've decided to go with Megaman X1 sprites for my template. It's small and simple, the SNES graphics will be easy to modify, and they have the range of movement I need.

Ugh actually... damn... RM2K3 sprites are still way easier to work with... With these MMX sprites I have to "humanize" them, draw out the armor, shrink the legs, and that's a little out of my league cuz I tend to make the legs thinner or thicker than in other frames, and either way it's just to painstaking and just doesn't look natural.

EDIT: K found something a little closer to what I need: Megaman Wily Wars. Small, easy to work with, has most of what I need, and what's more the body is about proportionate to human features. Another dilemma though is window size. How should this play out? Especially if it's gonna have versus.

Edited By Evangel on 1171838012