Communications Devices (Comms)

For support, refilling, personal, strategic, and misc. equipment used during a water fight.
isoaker

Communications Devices (Comms)

Post by isoaker » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:16 pm

Thread from the WWn wiki - content originally developed by Andrew
Contents
[hide]

1 Introduction
2 Tin-Can Telephone
2.1 Advantages
2.2 Disadvantages
3 Torch/Flashlight
3.1 Advantages
3.2 Disadvantages
4 Two Way Radio/PMR/Walkie Talkie
4.1 Advantages
4.2 Disadvantages

[edit] Introduction

All fields of water warfare involve some degree of tactical analysis, whether it is simply to charge in and soak all in sight, or a complex attack on an enemy emplacement. On any scale of water war involving more than one person per team, good communication can be the difference between soaking, or being soaked. The right comms for the situation depends on many factors, and the best kit for one situation may not be the best for an alternative situation.

[edit] Tin-Can Telephone

Although extremely basic, the tin-can telephone can be extremely useful for quietly and reliably communicating to a forward outpost or other friendly position within a reasonably close range. Although easily portable, this form of communication equipment can take longer to set up than other methods of communication.
[edit] Advantages

Cheap
Reliable
Transportable
Easy to use

[edit] Disadvantages

Take longer to set up than alternatives
Effective over a reasonably short range only

[edit] Torch/Flashlight

A useful piece of kit anyway, a torch can be used as an effective signalling device either sending detailed messages or simply as a signal for some pre-determined action to be carried out. Messages can be transferred silently over large distances via morse code and can also be easily encoded if required. Unfortunately if you can see the signal, it is possible that the opponents can also see and intercept it without your knowledge. The signal can easily be used by your opponents to identify your location, especially at night.
[edit] Advantages

Cheap
Reliable
Transportable
Easy to use
Possible to encode messages
Silent
Long range

[edit] Disadvantages

Can give your position away
Messages can be easily compromised
Can be rendered useless if not watertight
Slow to send detailed messages

[edit] Two Way Radio/PMR/Walkie Talkie

Possibly the first type of communication device that springs to mind is the Two Way, Personal Mobile Radio or Walkie Talkie. Although more expensive than some other options, these devices are one of the most reliable methods of communicating over larger distances. Most modern PMR's feature security codes and headset possibilties allowing them to securely transmit messages up to or above 10km. There are even completely waterproof PMR's avaialble, greatly reducing the risk of damage on a water warfare field.
[edit] Advantages

Very easy to use
Long range
Portable
Secure channels available
Waterproof models available
Headset/throat-mic extras available

[edit] Disadvantages

More expensive than alternatives
Range greatly reduced by terrain features (buildings hills etc.)
Rarely silent
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Communications Devices (Comms)

Post by marauder » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Smartphones have proved quite useful this year, at least at MOAB.

The fact that DX and I both had iphones made it easier to communicate if we got lost, track things, and other stuff that I can't get into right here...

Just make sure to lock your phone up in a watertight container! And keep track of it! =(
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Smartphones have rendered radios and all other communication devices obsolete. They allow for totally silent communication, have unlimited range, cannot be snooped on by enemies, can send image and video intel instantly, can be used as flashlights, and record exact locations via GPS. They're not quite ~waterproof~ yet, but I've had mine loose in a pocket and never had a problem. Just make sure that you use a tight pocket, or one with a button or zipper.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Duxburian wrote:Smartphones have rendered radios and all other communication devices obsolete. They allow for totally silent communication, have unlimited range, cannot be snooped on by enemies, can send image and video intel instantly, can be used as flashlights, and record exact locations via GPS. They're not quite ~waterproof~ yet, but I've had mine loose in a pocket and never had a problem. Just make sure that you use a tight pocket, or one with a button or zipper.
Well, sort of... that also depends that you're battling in a place where your phone gets good reception (which, I suppose) also depends on your carrier. While smartphones (or even basic mobile phones) have definite advantages, there are still some advantages to using things from walkies-talkies to even a loudspeaker or bullhorn for some types of communications.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:09 am

We used a bull horn in Vermin War 6 to signal when to start. That was pretty effective since people's watches/phones aren't always synchronized.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:23 am

I really don't get why no one so much as attempts to protect a smartphone during water wars. A pouch for keeping water out runs $10-20, and you can use premium ziploc bags if you need cheaper.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Keeping it waterproof wasn't a problem for me. I dropped it out of my pocket while running. I don't remember if I forgot to button the pocket or if it just didn't close it up tight enough.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:18 pm

I've only been to 2 places where reception was a problem on Verizon: Camp Wilson at Downpour, and the Exuma chain of the Bahamas. One of them is a vast, uninhabited, tropical wilderness, and the other is just redneck country. The vast majority of places where people fight water wars though, have at least a weak signal.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:49 pm

I think we are all overlooking the unlimited usefulness of the tin-can telephone.

I actually tried using walkie-talkies in a fight once, but they would make this loud beeping sound every time you released the "talk" button, which had the same effect as yelling "COME AND FIND ME ****!" I think I might just be persuaded to buy a smart phone now- oh, wait! We never fight like that anyway... Oh well, at least I don't have to pay hundreds of dollars! ;)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.