what is the best shield

For support, refilling, personal, strategic, and misc. equipment used during a water fight.

best material for a shield against and if your using it

cardboard
7%
metal
No votes
rubber
No votes
paper
No votes
fabric
No votes
bark ( from trees)
7%
plastic
87%

Total votes: 15

atvan

Re: what is the best shield

Post by atvan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Just to make you scroll down to see why lol.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:53 am

@DX- I thought the opposite- shields would be best on open ground where there is no cover. You carry the cover with you. Plus, if both teams have personal shields that don't completely cover you, then that seems fine, as kills can still be made, especially with flanking maneuvers.
Except that cover isn't for protection. Cover is used to either

A: Slow down the tempo - if the game is flowing too fast, it can be ground to a halt using chokepoints, trees, walls, and whatever to force more stationary, position-to-position fighting. It is usually easier to score kills when the enemy doesn't have full range of motion.

B: To conceal yourself while trying to flank, ambush, return a flag, etc.

I don't ever assume that it will protect me from being hit. Unless it's a wall or tree or other large, solid object, shots can be powered through. Cover is an impediment to agility, which is the best defense. A player who can dance their way to 0 deaths, war after war, has an asset more valuable than any shield or tree. In the open, I'd rather have the full range of motion and sight to dodge. A shield would just slow me down. It's already difficult enough to achieve full potential reaction time when carrying a big CPS gun full of water. Most streams could be blocked with a gun anyway - only the ranged riot blasts and other spreading shots are dangerous in that sense.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:45 am

I agree, but this is "what is the best shield" not "shield or no shield"
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:55 am

Well, to be honest, I was split on the decision because the candidate was so specific: Bark from a tree. What about bark from shrubs or other low-lying vegetation (a clearly under-represented group). In the end, though, I hate to vote from my heart.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 am

I think bark would fall apart if hit by a powerful enough stream of water, so not only would you be soaked, but you'd have bits of tree bark on you. :|

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Wetmonkey lol :p
Beware the Purple

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:41 pm

@wetmonkey: You should've voted for paper, as the poll option was not prejudiced against specific types of paper, such as college ruled lined paper, printer paper, toilet paper, paper towel, paper maché, etc. Also, a paper shield won't slow you down like everything else would.

@nitro: Everyone knows that paper and bark make the best water shields. n00b.

All joking aside, large shields are annoyingly encumbering particularly at close range. While you're trying to pump or refill while ensure the shield stays in place, someone can move up and attack you. Against a wall of shields, you can still shoot through the gaps and/or use water balloons and if you land a good hit, the water will go through between shields. Personally, I'd elect to use a WBL with a high pressure, low angle shot against a wall of shields, or perhaps launch a volley at a high angle and charge-rush the group while they move their shields up to block the rain. Sure, it'd get a lot of my own guys soaked, but the main safe alternative is to camp in tight areas and wait for them to come.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat