Official League Teams

Development of the WaterWar.net League.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Official League Teams

Post by marauder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:39 am

Next season's Community Wars will feature 2 separate WWN teams pitted against each other. The nature of this rivalry has yet to be fully developed. We could dedicate 1 day of downpour to 1 hit scores team vs team battling or we could dedicate 1 or more separate wars to WWN team battling. There is a chance that the first WWN team vs team fight could happen at the war in Connecticut on December 1st; however, this is just a possibility and our tentative start date for this is still set for next year.

Regardless, the first step is to actually set up the teams. Team leaders will be SEAL and Duxburian due to their ability to host wars and due to their standing as veteran leaders in the community. Currently the teams are as follows:

Catskill Mountain SEALs
SEAL (Captain)
BoogieBoard2
Keith
Scott the Water Warrior
Poseidon2000

Super Soaker Liberation Front
Duxburian (Captain)
Marauder
Belisaurius

If you plan on coming to next year's community war(s) I strongly suggest you put in for one team or the other. Team Captains have the right to reject anyone from joining their team.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

AMBUSH
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Official League Teams

Post by AMBUSH » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:03 am

The teams look pretty good. The problem is that I don't think DX and Marauder should be on the same team because they are good and I don't think it is fair that they are on the same team.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 am

Your brother and Scott already ok'd it. You guys have gotten a lot better over the past few wars. Plus, you currently have 5 people to our 3. I will probably be able to get my nephews to come, but they will be 10 and 13 next year with no experience.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:28 am

DX and Belisaurius on the same team?! Blasphemy! :goofy:

Not that it matters to me, haha. I think the teams look pretty good. I don't really think it's a big deal that DX and M4 are on the same team. If you remember, Scott actually got more kills than DX at Downpour this year, and I wasn't too far behind. The only true issue I have with this system is the way the teams are made up of people from all over the place, and I think a team should consist of local people who all know each other well and fight together a lot. However, with the amount of water warriors around (compared with say, Nerf or Airsoft players.), the proposed system is probably the only way to do it without splitting it up into a dozen tiny little teams. If I think of it like an online "clan", I feel better about it. So don't mind my complaints.

I think the best way to do this is to have a sign-up thread for each team. Members should have at least 20(?) posts, and should be serious about water warfare (in other words, not the type who run off after posting a few times.). Then we can set up private forums for each team (I mean sections on this board, not new boards.), where we could talk to each other about tactics and that sort of thing. This could be really awesome if implemented correctly.

Also, who gets wetmonkey? It would make the most sense for him to be on DX's team, but then you would have four veteran members to our two. Of course, I could always even it out more by inviting friends, but they wouldn't be as serious, and might not even show up (for those of you who remember, I had invited 5 people to Downpour '12, but only one came.).
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Durr, I'm kinda scared... :baby:

Anyway, Including this post, I have a fast pace of over 100 posts, and i put too much time on the hobby to leave, so i AM staying for at least 10 years.... yup.
The CT war will probably be my first actual war, asides from skirmishes and soakfests, so please don't over or underestimate me. :goofy: In short, im an intern right now, a student of Water Warfare.
However this plan seems good for right now.
I think we should have annual teams/clans. Every year, soldiers ( ? :P) get seperated and thats the teams. This will be random so it could be any person on anyone's team. That's fairish, but it's only my idea. Right now I'm a nOOb :p

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Everyone started like that at some point. And at this rate, you'll overtake my post number in less than a year, especially considering the amount of work I'm going to have on.

I've said it before, but I hope I can join in with a community war at some point. There are Uni placements to live and study (for a whole year) in various parts of the US, so that's a possibility in the coming years.

Personally I think there are pros and cons to both team management ideas. Yes a random system would be fairer, and liven things up a bit, but 'fixed' teams can bring on a whole new level of commitment to your own team and the added rivalry makes things more interesting. The other good thing about 'fixed' teams is that said team will start to train and work well as an individual unit, hopefully making the battles even more exciting. You could always 'transfer' members every year or two to liven things up.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:07 am

Andrew wrote:Personally I think there are pros and cons to both team management ideas. Yes a random system would be fairer, and liven things up a bit, but 'fixed' teams can bring on a whole new level of commitment to your own team and the added rivalry makes things more interesting. The other good thing about 'fixed' teams is that said team will start to train and work well as an individual unit, hopefully making the battles even more exciting. You could always 'transfer' members every year or two to liven things up.
This is exactly the point. We have been playing using the "random system" for the past 4 wards, and we want to go with something else now - something more competetive with more team comradery as you've pointed it out. In the future we could have more than 2 teams if attendance grows enough to the point that we have a large number of people who can make multiple wars. For now I think 2 is best because half of us don't even know if we can make more than 1 war per year.

I really hope you'll be able to visit and join in sometime.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Poseidon: You don't really have to worry about being a noob. There's really not much to fighting, and I will tell you everything you need to know before we fight. Tactics are harder to master, but you don't have to worry about that since you're not leading the team (I get the hard job, haha.).

Fixed teams are definitely preferable, though once again, I will say that I'm not very keen on the idea of making permanent teams out of people from all over the place. It would be a lot better if each team consisted of people all from the same area, or even the same state. Unfortunately we can't do it like that.

We aren't going to stick with permanent teams for every war, are we? I thought we were going to save it for one day at Downpour or a similar war. Because I'm going to miss fighting with those on the other team, haha.

marauder, what to you mean by 4 wars? We've only had 3 so far, unless you're counting Dominator War 2 or something (but you didn't switch up teams there, did you?).
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Oh yeah, 3 wars. You're right. We haven't decided whether or not just to do 1 day of Downpour like that or have an entire war dedicated to it. We'll see.

You keep mentioning teams should be based off of people who live near each other. Why does geographic proximity matter? The reason it should matter is the ability to train and fight together regularly, and to have a common bond, a comradery you can share against the enemy.

The fact of the matter is that no one lives close enough to get together and train or battle more than once a month. Your family and Baily do, but let's be honest here, do you have weekly training sessions? No. Do you even have monthly training battles? It doesn't sound like it. I'm not saying that to be mean, but to make a point. I have family in Connecticut and NJ now and I plan on visiting several times before the wedding in late April. It's not unreasonable for me to practice/strategize with DX every time I visit. That would be about as often as you and your brothers fight, and more often than you fight with your friends. Nick has invited me several times to spend the night at his house in Baltimore on the way back, or to meet him for lunch. The comradery is there, and the training/team cohesion is currently there as much as it is with your own teammates who live in the same house as you.

You don't have to live in the same town to be on the same team, but if it makes you feel better you can call this a clan or an alliance. It makes no difference, we are still going to crush you this Fall, and again next Spring/Summer.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:10 pm

I just said I wasn't very fond of the idea, not that it has to be changed. I know there's no other way to do it, and although I know enough people to make a large team, most of them wouldn't want to do in the first place, and those who do wouldn't take it seriously. Aside from my brothers, I only know of two people who I'd actually invite to one of these wars.

You know what it says on my Water Warfare To-do List? "Hold training sessions at least once a week". In reality, how long can anyone have 2vs1 OHK rounds or 3-person FFAs without getting bored? For me it was 3 nights. Earlier in the year I had actually started daily training sessions, but it got so boring that I wanted to shoot myself in the head (with the water gun, mind you.). If we had just ONE more person to fight with reliably, we would probably have faught a lot more this year, but we've only had 4-person battles about 5 times this year. However, now that I'm the leader of this clan/team, I'm going to step things up a bit.

I think you guys will be the only ones getting crushed... If not at CT then for sure at Downpour or whenever the next war is.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Clan SEAL, I think you should all get matching sealskin tartans. BTW I think you're conveniently looking over the fact that a legion typically had 5,000 to 6,000 soldiers.

Now...we need a team name...

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:13 pm

The Nameless Crew! :goofy:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:42 am

We're actually thinking of changing our name to the East Coast SEALs, since it's not just made up of people in the Catskill Mountain region anymore. I like the name Catskill Mountain SEALs, but now that we're going to have people from all over, it's probably better if we change it. Unless you guys really want to keep the current name, I will change it.

Another subject we were talking about is what gametypes we should play. I think someone already mentioned that we'd be doing long OHS rounds, similar to those at Ridgewood. That's all fine and dandy, but what kind of rules should we put into place? Standard OHS with a 3+ hour time limit is probably the way to go, but what about respawn rules? If I remember right, the Ridgewood teams had it so you had to touch one of your teammates to respawn, or something along those lines. DX, how well did that work? It seems to me like it would make it so all the fighting would happen in one spot (provided that neither team calls a retreat or something.) once the teams find each other and start engaging. I'm curious to know why that didn't happen at Ridgewood.

My brother suggested that we just have a series of OHK rounds like at Downpour '11, and whoever wins the most rounds wins the war (think of the MLB world series.). That doesn't sound like a bad idea, and those eliminated can film, or even stay with their team and direct them, just without actually fighting. I also think CTF is a good option; I'm sure we all remember how intense those games can get. It doesn't matter what variation we do.

All the other specialty games like Hold the Line, Soak and Destroy, etc. are probably best left for Downpour-type events.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:26 pm

After talking to Duxburian and Belisaurius, we have decided on a team name:

Super Soaker Liberation front

:soakthemall:

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:19 pm

SSLF? I think it might be too long to say the whole thing, but the abbreviation sounds weird. Maybe an acronym?

yet why am i giving advice to the rival team? :goofy:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Soaker Liberation Front? S-L-F? Doesn't quite have the same meaning, but sounds a little better when abbreviated. You could just roll the two s' into one when saying the abbreviated version. :goofy:

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:10 pm

No one EVER said we were going with initials. If you want to abreviate the name just call us the Liberation Front. I am tempted to issue a fatwa that anyone who refers to us as SSLF whatever is an enemy of the Liberation Front. We shall destroy them... obliterate all dryness.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:57 pm

HBWW's own Aquatic Soaking Squad (ASS) should be showing up this summer. We shall most likely arrive as a mercenary team of two (so it's more like a fireteam than a squad), guns for hire. So if your team ends up with us, keep us happy or we shall betray! Any attempts to separate my group will be met with a riot (blast).

Of course, it may be just me by myself, which in that case, I may end up getting drafted as a helpless lonewolf soldier by either team lol.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:08 pm

You could also just say "SS Liberation Front" if the whole thing is too long. I might actually have to do that for the new profile field, since it doesn't all fit on one line. Seal, let me know what your team decides regarding a possible change from Catskill Mountain to East Coast so I can add you guys to the profile field.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:43 am

Since we are on the subject of team names, I'm going to go over a few others we considered before we decided on the Liberation Front.

Victorious Secret
Team Prom Night Dumpster Baby
Tentacle Grape
Multiple Scoregasms
Team Reverse Cowgirl
Abusement Park
Mighty Morphin Flower Arrangers
Jamaican Hopscotch Mafia
Colatteral Damage
Here for Beer
Scared Hitless (proposal for enemy team)
Smokin Trees n Strokin Threes
And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead...
Between the Buried and Me
Cuban Raft Riders
Thunder Chickens

Catskill Mountain SEALs vs the Super Soaker Liberation Front sounds like some kind of spinoff of a first person shooter video game.