WWN League Official 2012 Season Thread

Development of the WaterWar.net League.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

WWN League Official 2012 Season Thread

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:10 am

League Goal
To promote participation in water wars globally!

Participation
League Subforums will be created for Battle Reports. The Fan Fiction and Battlegrounds subforums will be moved from "Water Warfare General Discussions" to the WWN League Forum. One joins the league by making a submission in either of these 3 subforums. One can still post battle reports in other forums, but this will not grant membership (or points if you are already a member).

After reading your concerns, and discussing the issues with SEAl, DX, and iSoaker; we have settled on a final setup for the 2012 season. We had 3 goals when putting together the final 2012 league format: 1 make it more combat focussed (tech and comic submissions no longer count for points), 2 make the points system more flexible (3 judges will rate submissions), 3 grade submissions quickly.

Points will be added up by the following judges: SEAL, DX, M4. The average of these 3 scores will be the amount of points awarded for a submission. If a judge wants to award more/less points that the guideline suggests, they may so long as the other 2 judges allow. A judge may not rate their own submission. If a judge makes a submission iSoaker will take their place in giving a points rating for the submission.

Battle Reports/War Stories
2 points - write up a brief battle report (<250 words)
3 points - write up a mid-length battle report (251-500 words)
5 points - write up a full length battle report (500+ words)

Grammar/Writing Style Bonus
<applies to Battle Reports and Fictional Stories only>
+1 points for a clear, concise writing style with few grammatical errors
+2 points if the writeup was particularly enthralling

Player Bonus
+1 points for 2 players
+2 points for 3 players
+3 points for 4 players
+20 points for 21 players
+22 points for 25 players
+24 points for 30 players
+26 points for 35 players
etc.

If the event is not a true "war" but is more of a gathering or disorganized public event (like city water balloon day) then player bonus will not reflect the above scale. The three moderators will award less points per player, not because these events aren't fun or important, but because they are less important than events which get people introduced to our game types/weaponry/the forums/etc.

Community War Bonus
+5 points
Must be battle with at least 1 other WWN member, must advertise war in effort to get more people to show up. Downpour or Vermin War 13 are examples of how to do this. The Brick Fair War will also fall under this category if it goes through.

WWN Bonus
+1 points per member
IF you are fighting another WWN member at a battle other than a community war, you get +1 points per member, with a cap of 5 points. IE if Atvan and Scott got together and fought a duel, they would get 2 more points than if they had fought a duel vs a nonmember.

Photos
+1 point per photo (maximum of 10 pts per submission)

Movies
+2 points per movie, 1 movie per battle (infinite per war); eg: 4 points would be given if you submitted videos of Thunder Gulch battles 1 and 2, but only 2 points would be given if you submitted 2 movies of the first battle.

Fictional Reports/Roleplaying
2 points - write up a fictional battle report/story (<500 words)
5 points - write up a fictional battle report/story (500+ words)

Tactical Scenarios
4 points - propose a tactical scenario (must have map, weapons, personel, rules, and objective)
2 points - respond to a tactical scenario (more than 1 response per member is good for discussion but yields no extra points)

War Planning
2 points - write up for battlesite scouting for potential war (<500 words)
4 points - write up for battlesite scouting for potential war (500+ words)
+1 point - per photo of battlesite/scouting event (5 pts maximum)
+2 points - for a movie of proposed battlesite/scouting event/prep (2 pts maximum)
+1 points per member - for battlesite scouting/fort building/prep with another WWN member. IE 2 members = 2 points.
members may submit 1 report per site

Year End Awards
Prizes will be given out for points levels. Prizes will also be given out for other awards that are as yet to be determined.

Profiles/Cards
League members will have profiles, most likely on the Wiki, where battle attendence and other information is recorded. DX and I have also talked about making sports cards.

League Ranks
Ranking level by points. Points will not roll over from year to year for prizes, however they will roll over for rank. At the listed # of points you become said rank.

1000 legend
500 Elite
100 Veteran
50 Regular
25 Sophomore
0 rookie
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

wetmonkey442

Re: WWN League Official 2012 Season Thread

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:56 am

It's a shame to see tech write-ups are no longer eligible for points. I feel like modifications and homemades are essential to promoting water warfare in my slightly "older" age group.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:35 am

@M4: nice!
wetmonkey442 wrote:It's a shame to see tech write-ups are no longer eligible for points. I feel like modifications and homemades are essential to promoting water warfare in my slightly "older" age group.
You make an interesting point. In response to it, I would make the following suggestion for an additional realm for points.
+1 point for using your modified water blaster during a water war
+2 points for using your homemade water blaster during a water war
+1-3 points for describing how good (or bad) your homemade/modified blaster performed during a battle

Since the point of the League is to promote the battles, while I understand the desire for many to adjust/create new soaking devices, the ultimate goal is still the war. Hopefully the above would be considered a good way to add this aspect of water warfare into the League.

Thoughts?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Awarding points for modding and homemades causes several problems. Under the old system we awarded points to new tech - but what is new? If you simply add 1 piece to something that someone else created - is that worth points? And if so, how much? If you build a CPH and you borrowed 75% of your design from a previous edition... how many points should you be awarded? It's a difficult issue. We went with simplicity here, we went combat focussed, so we took tech out of it.

However, that does not mean that we have discounted the value of mods and homemades all together. Remember, we made this more flexible. If you build a homemade and use it in a war report, giving examples of how it performed, we will take note of it. That is part of the overall quality of a battle submission, and would definitely warrant an extra point or 2 in my book. What the league is focussing on is actual combat. A 1 on 1 duel with an extensive report on how your modification performed warrants more points than a normal duel.

We will definitely have a "Home Made of the Year" award and "Modification of the Year" award with prizes (like a gift card to McMaster) and possible points going with it.

So yes, we took tech out of the official points scale, but DX and I (and I assume SEAL) are definitely cognisant of the importance of mods and homemades - we are just looking at them through a combat oriented view.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm

marauder4 wrote:However, that does not mean that we have discounted the value of mods and homemades all together. Remember, we made this more flexible. If you build a homemade and use it in a war report, giving examples of how it performed, we will take note of it. That is part of the overall quality of a battle submission, and would definitely warrant an extra point or 2 in my book. What the league is focussing on is actual combat. A 1 on 1 duel with an extensive report on how your modification performed warrants more points than a normal duel.

We will definitely have a "Home Made of the Year" award and "Modification of the Year" award with prizes (like a gift card to McMaster) and possible points going with it.

So yes, we took tech out of the official points scale, but DX and I (and I assume SEAL) are definitely cognisant of the importance of mods and homemades - we are just looking at them through a combat oriented view.
This sounds like a good compromise. It doesn't solve the subjectivity issue, but is still simplified and focuses on combat without discounting/ignoring other contributions.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Nothing we come up with will be perfect, but I feel like this is going to be pretty good.

As for end of year awards, I think it's going to be something the entire membership gets to vote on, not just the 3 of us. I am wanting to make this a real league. If you watch any good action flicks or play any kind of action or rpg videogame you'll know that the best/most interesting teams are made up of unique characters. That's one thing I want to highlight here. Everyone here goes about waterwarfare differently. At the end of the year maybe you will earn the distinction of "veteran gearhead," "expert tactition," or "top gun." This is kinda like an RPG, but the events that you get points from are real. We're all a little different, let's have fun with it.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 am

Are there dates for the length of the season or is it meant to span Jan 1 to Dec 31? If it runs until Dec 31, that means some prizes won't be awarded until Jan, 2013. Just a thought.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:07 am

Hmmm very good point. I suggest that we end the season on Halloween, so essentially a season runs from Nov 1 to Oct 31 for points/year end awards. Things will usually die down on Oct and we can use the month to discuss year end awards.

As for submissions, we can keep them chronological. IE if someone in Australia fights this Dec they will still post the submission in the 2012 forum, but since points/awards for the "2012" season have already been awarded those points will go towards the next season.

What does everyone think?

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 pm

I like it. I'm sure there'll be room for improvement, but I say, wait until the 2013 season.

As for a season end, how about the first day of winter instead? That will give us enough time to award end-season prizes and all that, but will also still let people submit reports if the weather is good where they live.

By the way, how many points should a member have before they can get a prize? Last year it was 100 I think.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:38 pm

I feel that it should be higher, times 3. So 450, 500 should be good numbers.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:31 am

SEAL wrote:As for a season end, how about the first day of winter instead? That will give us enough time to award end-season prizes and all that, but will also still let people submit reports if the weather is good where they live.
First day of winter is Dec 21. The thought of needing to potentially ship out prizes during the mad holiday rush/ship/crunch time does not sound like fun at all.
While Oct 31 does not give as much time for those in the Southern hemisphere to push up reports and such, it is very hard to make things perfectly fair. In these cases, I tend to go with trying to be as fair as possible while making sure things are still practical.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am

What if we end it on December 1st and announce final awards on Dec 14th? I think two weeks is enough to decide on the awards and it would be just early enough to avoid the big holiday rush. This would also minimize the amount of 2011 stuff that would have to be rolled into 2012 (1 month instead of 2)

Else, we could just not count those days and start the new season on Jan 1, for a season length of 11 months. I know that M4 prefers to award year-round activity, but what league actually runs the entire calendar year? A December break would allow for time to plan tweaks for the next year's league in peace. Else, we'd be making changes to a live system. With the end of season activities and awards going on, then major holidays, then winter really setting in across the global north, how much content really gets posted in December anyway? I'd venture to guess far less than any other month. Look at the water warrior maps - the vast, vast majority of everyone is in the northern hemisphere.

Point thresholds shouldn't really be set until we know what all the prizes are going to be. I'd like to continue the format iSoaker used where there are non-prize awards for reaching certain thresholds as well. For example, like

0-24 points you are a league rookie
At 25 points you become a league member
At 50 points you become a league regular
At 100 points you become a league veteran
At 200 points you become a league superstar

Or something like that. Your level at the end of the season would be reflected on your membership card, which every participant would receive in a box set. M4 and I have discussed making actual sports cards, but these would only reflect stats from the major WWN wars.

So what do you think?
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Am talking with DX now. Here are the points level prizes for this year:

Most Points: CPS 2500
200 Points: Gorgon
150 Points: Hydro Cannon
100 Points: Colossus

**additional points level prizes may be added in the near future**

Ranking level by points. Points will not roll over from year to year for prizes, however they will roll over for rank. At the listed # of points you become said rank.

1000 legend
500 Elite
100 Veteran
50 Regular
25 Sophomore
0 rookie

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:17 pm

marauder4 wrote:Ranking level by points. Points will not roll over from year to year for prizes, however they will roll over for rank. At the listed # of points you become said rank.

1000 legend
500 Elite
100 Veteran
50 Regular
25 Sophomore
0 rookie
These point levels look good. If these are more-or-less set, I'd suggest adding them into the first post of this thread.

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Should these be times 3?
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:38 pm

^No. We are doing averages.

Someone ought to edit the first post. I'd do it myself, but I'm too lazy I don't know what format you want it in.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:40 am

Quick question on the prize system. Do you keep getting additional prizes as the points stack up, or do you only get the prize at that tier? If someone got 170 points, would that person get both the Colossus and the Hydro Cannon, or just the Hydro Cannon?

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Yes you do, I messaged M4 on FB and he said you can win multiple blasters
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:32 am

Well, I hate to say it, but I don't think the league is working out very well. Perhaps we ought to make some changes if we do this next year, hmm?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 am

SEAL wrote:Well, I hate to say it, but I don't think the league is working out very well. Perhaps we ought to make some changes if we do this next year, hmm?
I'm wondering whether we should pause the current League and/or revamp the ruleset a bit to make the levels and prize giving more appropriate given the general level of League activity we're seeing. Granted, revamping things mid-season is usually not done, but sometimes making the right tweaks may help inspire more activity.