Membership Challenges, 2012 - brainstorming

Development of the WaterWar.net League.
isoaker

Membership Challenges, 2012 - brainstorming

Post by isoaker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:05 pm

After seeing some threads and looking back at what various members have done in the past, I'm wondering whether the group would be interested in compiling and then trying to see who can accomplish a variety of water blaster and water warfare-related challenges. This could be used in conjunction with the WaterWar.net League or simple done on its own. I'm also debating whether or not challenges should be given some level of award points or at least given a level of perceived difficulty (e.g. easy, medium-effort, difficult, hard, you've GOT to be kidding)

Some potential example challenges include:
- participate in a water war with at least 5 Players
- modify a stock soaker to shoot farther
- decorate a stock soaker
- build an APH
- build a CPH
- create a water warfare comic strip
- draw a concept water blaster

Thoughts? Good idea? Other proposed challenges? I'd also welcome anyone's interest in organizing challenges based on level of difficulty, type, etc.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

atvan

Re: Membership Challenges, 2012 - brainstorming

Post by atvan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:47 pm

For these, does it mean make i entirety in 2012, or just finish? Cause finishing would be nice (my APH)… :goofy: JK that probably wouldn't be fair.

This sounds fun. The modding and homemades need some clarification if this is to be a good set of challenges. I think that there should be some non-monetary input challenges, though these would have minimal impact on somr type of scoring if that is what this becomes. This doesn't really seem to tie into the League IMO, so keeping it seperate would be fine. I'd be happy to help track scoring and judging if that time comes.

Lastly, a suggestion would be to have a blog challenge in this, where 10, 25, 50, 100, and 300 (Edit: just noticed that these numbers would fit in perfectly to your difficulty levels, and I did this without thinking about those) informative/picture heavy (build logs, warground pics, etc.) blog points were different levels. An insentive for me to actually post to my blog. :goofy:
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Would this just be for 2012, or would it still count as a completed challenge if you did it in the past? Because I've done almost everything on your example list, just not this year.

We should give out virtual awards for completion. Badges/accolades for your profile (If that's even possible.) would be great.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 pm

I think it is just for this year. Hence the 2012 part. More badges? Not Again. :P
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:43 pm

The purpose of the challenges are things that can be completed this year. Doing something in the past is nice, but what can be accomplished during 2012 is what's the idea.

As this is not for any real physical prize (at least, not yet), achieving accomplishments can be a little less formal as well and that, for some tasks, if things were started last year, so long as they are completed this year, that'd count.

I'd lean towards either a simple task count or a very basic point tracking system. Terms necessary to complete a task would be included with the task. For example, for a "Build an APH" task, a picture should be posted somewhere on the forums.

I'm also not sure whether if someone does the same task twice, whether that should count as two accomplishments or that only the first time counts for points/checking one off of the list.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:34 am

I've done all of that. And it would be a good idea for this to be part of the WWL.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 am

martianshark wrote:I've done all of that. And it would be a good idea for this to be part of the WWL.
You've done all of that *THIS* year?

I think the problem is that the challenges I stated above are too general so that some feel, "Heck, I've done that sort of thing before so why should I do it again this year?"

I suppose it would make more sense for challenges to fit the member. For example, the "Build an APH" challenge would only count for those who have never built an APH before. For those who have made them before, perhaps an additional clause is needed like: If you have built an APH before, build a more ergonomic APH, build a shell/body for your APH, build an APH that fires a 30x stream at least 40 feet, etc.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:37 am

I think this should be incorporated into league development. By incorporating this into league activity it would be investing in something we've already committed to, and building it further. I'd rather have a few highly successful WWN community wide projects (for lack of a better way to put it) than a lot of things that are half done. I envision a WWN League page with individual profiles. Anyone remember H2O Commandos? My only concern is that the whole points thing might make some kind of hierarchy that may allow some members to feel less important - and while I want to encourage rewards for participation, I want it to be purely positive.p

Give me a month or 2 and I'll have a prototype league website, showcasing what I'm talking about. If y'all like it, it can be incorporated into the main site, with whatever modifications the community sees fit.

I like reading your blog Atvan, but I dislike the idea of having a blogging challenge as it directs discussion away from the boards. I looked into having Hydrowar's articles open for comments and discussion on the site, and even talked to professional webdevelopers about it, before ultimately deciding it would be a bad idea - i'd rather just post my stuff on Hydrowar as an archive, then link to a thread on here for actual discussion. That's not a knock on your blog Atvan. I enjoy reading it. I'm just pro centralization of our small community's discussions.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 am

You post and thoughts make a lot of sense, M4. Good, solid projects are better than a bunch of half-baked ones.
Give me a month or 2 and I'll have a prototype league website, showcasing what I'm talking about. If y'all like it, it can be incorporated into the main site, with whatever modifications the community sees fit.
In terms of website for the League, need to be mindful of many things, the biggest of which is update and maintenance of it. Putting up some static HTML pages that don't need regular updating is ok, but if some pages of a site need more updating and/or pages should be added/updated by many people, I would prefer things either to be either done on these forums or built on the wiki. The advantage to that is that keeps members and visitors also seeing other aspects of WWn as well as seeing the League section. If done on the forums, League forums can be skinned differently as desired.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 am

I think the Wiki idea sounds good simply cuz it can be ammended by multiple people. I just don't like the idea of it being a seperate site. Of course, I guess that's just in looks only. I like things being integrated. Another way back reference that probably only DX will get... remember Nerfonline?
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:27 am

marauder_4 wrote:I think the Wiki idea sounds good simply cuz it can be ammended by multiple people. I just don't like the idea of it being a seperate site. Of course, I guess that's just in looks only. I like things being integrated. Another way back reference that probably only DX will get... remember Nerfonline?
If you're ok building on the wiki, you can start anytime! :cool:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Regarding what iSoaker listed in the OP:
- Happens every year, usually. People come and go though, but I do often get a 3v3 or 4v4 each year.
- I'm actually going to do a light k-mod on my 2700 when repairing its trigger. This will be the first such mod I've done in a long time, but it's easy.
- Will likely look into this if I participate in the Community War, or if I somehow get to organize events in environments with lots of concealment. Gotta get spray paint and go legit, or I might just use some cheap methods involving fake household plants/decorations and construction paper.
- Unlikely, due to pumping needed for one.
- Unlikely, need to replace bladder on current CPH.
- Could never think of any good ideas for one lol.
- Done before, will probably do again if/when I finally get to modeling blasters for Project Soaking Trident.

Speaking of PSTrid, I ought to add some project tasks to the OP listing lol. I'll wait on that though.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Haha, I would really be looking forward to another WaterWarfareLeague ! And I would be for SURE a participant of it!

Photo-contests were very exciting and we really got great pictures ´, what I can remember, also the water warfare league with battles, and reports were a great idea, as also the building up of water gun concepts were something nice to see, haha.

And I see, isoaker, you are looking forward to doing something similar but totally new. This is for sure a great idea but on the other hand also difficult to choose the task !
Some potential example challenges include:

- participate in a water war with at least 5 Players------ DONE several times
- modify a stock soaker to shoot farther------- DONE quite often, about 10-15 times
- decorate a stock soaker ---- painted a XXP 175 and a XP 270, also some others, although I really prefer the gun's original colours
- build an APH -------------------- DONE, the strongest and biggest APH built yet, except the SuperCannon 2, which I am going to beat soon...
- build a CPH --------------------- DONE, built up 4 CPH, all work great, no problems or anything to repair yet
- create a water warfare comic strip ------- I can remember doing so onces, or twice... :) Just cannot beat isoaker's great strips ;)
- draw a concept water blaster ------------- DONE, several times

All in all this is a great idea but also i am sure we can find something better^^

A photo contest would just be nice, as I have a very great picture, which would be in favour of you, isoaker, for SURE. It is something rebuilt and changed designed from you in the past, which would make you smirk :D Will keep this in computer-box till its time is coming ;D

Thinking about further ideas, but currently no useable ones available, head is full of study stuff at the moment... :P

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Well, this thread has served partial purpose in that it has gotten some members to show their pride in their accomplishments.

Now, the trick is to come up with challenges that members will find interesting while not making things too daunting for newer members.
Pushing this thread to the League forum, though, as it makes sense to add this sort of stuff to the WWn League. If anyone has a serious objection to making these challenges League related, speak up.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:18 pm

Challenge ideas... Well, most of the ones you suggested sound good, except for creating comic strips, which don't really have much to do with the league in my opinion.

Some ideas to think about:
-Start up a water warfare team (Already having one probably shouldn't count.)
-Get at least 3 people interested in water warfare
-Attend the community war (Hey, it may draw in people.)
-Defeat a CPS 2000 with nothing but a T-Storm (Okay, that might be a bit steep... :goofy: )

That's actually all I can think of right now.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:50 pm

I just remembered that I have spray painted a soaker in the past, so I can't make fun of decorating soakers...
:goofy:

Anyway, the ideas above seem good, we could have an active year if things come off right.

Really I'm leaning more toward the article writing side of things, although I don't have a clue what kind of articles (besides reviews and gametypes) would benefit enough people to be worth writing, especially ones that haven't already been written, it's always fun to see the article database expanding.

I think recruitment also deserves a mention, getting people into the hobby is worth quite a bit I imagine. Anyone who gets new recruits is awarded a telepathic gold star, it's on me.

Other than those two and what's already been suggested, I can only think of "Design a soaker"-type contests, an idea that needs plenty of ironing out, but could prove to be a fun exercise.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am

I'm offering my Explorer and SS 60 (excelent working condition) as prizes for the league this year. I may offer a few other guns. Now we just have to settle on what's worth what points.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm winning!

lol, This should be a fun relief from fictional stories, hate having nobody to fight.
M4, you rock!
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 am

I am willing to try some kind of ad scheme to raise money for league prizes. Aka we suffer boring text ads for a while and get enough to go splurge on Ebay for some CPS that some lucky people can win.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:33 am

DX wrote:I am willing to try some kind of ad scheme to raise money for league prizes. Aka we suffer boring text ads for a while and get enough to go splurge on Ebay for some CPS that some lucky people can win.
I'm open to adding ads, though I prefer avoiding them, of course. That said, would need someone to manage the money and acquisition, and eventual shipping of prizes. DX, care to take on that responsibility?