Bring Back the League!

Development of the WaterWar.net League.
SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Bring Back the League!

Post by SEAL » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Hey all,

I did some thinking while at work today. Who would be interested in forming a real, honest-to-goodness sports league on here? Obviously we could only support two teams, but it would still work. We could fight several times a season, and whichever team gets the most victories will get the title of League Champions for that season.

I know we've tried the whole rival teams thing before, but I feel that was not very well executed, and we can do better. We basically just did standard rounds with fixed teams, sometimes only a few times a war. And then of course we'd have issues with not enough people showing up on one side, and concerns with balance and blah blah blah excuse after excuse.

What I have in mind is a literal league, like MLB or NFL or what have you. We have a battle every month (or every other month) at a different location each time. There would just be one round each war, but gametypes could be changed up depending on the field. We'd have to come up with some way to pick teams too, so as not to run into the same problems as before. We could do like north vs. south or some other arrangement, and not worry about balancing too much. Maybe we could switch up each season, or allow player trades or something.

But I think we should try to do this. If anything, it would shake things up and get more activity. The water war community has been rather comatose lately.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Bring Back the League!

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:56 am

So, essentially we meet up once a month and battle? Is there anything more complex that makes it more like a sports team or are we just using the name?

The boys and I could definitely meet up with you once a month. Everyone else is so far out that I'm not sure it would work, but it would be worth trying. Here are some locations that are half way in between different locations:

M4 + nephews to Scott: Petersburg VA - 2 hrs 9 minutes
M4 + nephews to SEAL + Jon: Oconeechee Scout Reservation - 1 hr 25 mins
M4 + nephews to Oncoming Storm: Catawba Game Lands - 2 hrs 45 mins
SEAL + Jon to Oncoming Storm: Lake James - 2 hours 5 mins
SEAL + Jon to Scott: Kerr Reservoir (NC/VA border) - 3 hrs 10 min

I imagine that the distance the Trettel bros would have to drive would not be that far off from Scott. I should probably put these on some kind of map to give a visual representation. When you add in more than 2 groups things begin to change. The shortest distance combined for SEAL + me + Scott is Kerr Reservoir, which is 3 hours from SEAL & Scott, and 1.5 hours from me. I'm not sure if y'all would be willing to drive 3 hours just for 1 day, but they do have a campground there. They may have cabins as well.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:36 am

Everyone else has become too far away to visit regularly now, RIP.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:12 am

I'd love it if we got some more regular battles like a few years ago. Right now I'm planning to move my car back from CA to MD, so I should be more able to attend stuff like I used to. I'll still be in CA most of the time working on my PhD, but at least next summer I don't think I'll get the job I'm working this summer again, so I could be available again. I think there's interest for more stuff but life is getting in the way.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:25 am

Bringing the League back is an interesting idea. I think we might be going about it wrong though. Instead of meeting up for a single battle, we should do multiple battles starting with a 3 hour League battle with fixed teams, but then going into our more regular style and mixing the teams up. That way we could have a running rivalry and keep score between wars, but wouldn't be meeting up only for a single battle with the same teams each time.

IDK what it is, I am still really interested in doing battles and such, but I am just not able to focus enough for the amount of planning involved to set one up. IF I can get out to my uncles farm house this fall, it might make for a nice winter battle location. The underbrush is much too thick the rest of the year, but it might be workable in the colder months, and we'd have the house to stay in.
I also haven't looked much around the area near the farm ether, so it is possible there are some nice forested areas we could go to too, issue would be finding ones that are public and not private property. I'm not sure how to even tell which is which, growing up in the city, any area with more then 3 trees in it is just about guaranteed to be a public park.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:56 pm

marauder wrote:So, essentially we meet up once a month and battle? Is there anything more complex that makes it more like a sports team or are we just using the name?
I mean it would be more like the rivalry thing we used to do, but better. We'd pick teams and battle to see who's worthy of being league champions. There probably wouldn't be playoffs or anything because we could only support two teams, so the champs would just be the team that won the most battles. And if one team starts really dominating, we could add special adjustments to battles to make it harder for them to win. Like maybe everyone has to use small guns, and if they still win, then the next battle they use small guns but start out empty. Kinda like a video game where the farther you advance, the harder it gets. We could elect league heads who are in charge of setting up the battles. They decide location, game type, and any special considerations.

As mentioned, we could switch up teams every season, or have player trades if one team is consistently having trouble.

I've also thought of a way to involve people who cannot attend. Imagine if every active member was assigned to a team, and once the battlefield was disclosed, everyone hops on to plan things out. Even if so-and-so couldn't make it personally, they could still assist in planning. It would sort of be like those fictional scenarios that people sometimes post, except the battle would actually take place!
DX wrote:Everyone else has become too far away to visit regularly now, RIP.
What happened to driving 12 hours just to scout?
scottthewaterwarrior wrote:Bringing the League back is an interesting idea. I think we might be going about it wrong though. Instead of meeting up for a single battle, we should do multiple battles starting with a 3 hour League battle with fixed teams, but then going into our more regular style and mixing the teams up.
Not sure if I speak for everyone here, but I'm kinda bored of our "regular-style" way of doing things. It was fun several years ago when I was a teenager, but familiarity breeds contempt, as they say. I'm always looking for ways to switch it up.

I see where your concern is coming from, but the thing is, these battles would be in addition to the standard big events. We would have them even with like six people. Continue the fight no matter what. And when the fight is over, we could hang out and do other fun stuff that doesn't even have to be water war related.

Then the big events (which seem to be becoming rather scarce these days, but...) could even have a day dedicated to an official league battle. Then the other day could consist of less competitive fighting where we could switch up teams and fight for fun.
scottthewaterwarrior wrote:IDK what it is, I am still really interested in doing battles and such, but I am just not able to focus enough for the amount of planning involved to set one up.
The neat thing about the league idea is, organizing single-battle (or even single battle with multiple stages) events doesn't require nearly as much planning. Pick a location and a date that works well, set the rules, show up, and fight. All the pre-event planning would be done by the league heads anyway.

Let me know if this sounds good and we can proceed to set something up. Not sure when we could start fighting, but it could technically be any time.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:45 pm

I am all for this.

Brandon, if you are ok with even 6 people then we could meet halfway between us. I will be honest and currently it doesn't look like I'll be able to come to Charlotte for the day for a while. This is kind of out of my hands.

But...

I am looking to host a war Veterans day weekend (Nov 11) at my house. Who all would be interested in going? This is pretty much 100% on my end. So, it's really just a matter of seeing how many people would come. I will host the fight even if it's just 6 of us again.

Depending upon interest we could use this to launch pad the league. OR we could get together before then and then use this as a major event that people from all over could come to (since lodging would be provided).
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:24 pm

I'd be interested in a Veteran's Day throwdown. Which battlefield?

I'm thinking the first official league season would begin next year, but we could do a Veteran's Day war and/or a war in Virginia (see the other thread) as like scrimmage or spring training (it's not the spring, but you know what I mean) events to get a feel for how it'll go. In other words, they'd be in the same format as league games, but they wouldn't count towards anything. The season opener should be something epic.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:13 pm

As A member of the community, I'm in favor of restarting the league now that I finally have a car (I know I have had for over a year but the league was dead by that point) a respectable arsenal and may finally attend a war somewhere within the next year. I would like to come in Nov but we shall see.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo: