Colossus 2 Nozzle Drill - Mod Complete

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
jja

Colossus 2 Nozzle Drill - Mod Complete

Post by jja » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:55 am

A friend of mine mentioned that he finds the output of his Colossus 2 lacking, particularly in soakfest, but also for hit based games. Especially when compared to my CPS 1000 and another friends Hydro-power Sphinx, his Colossus 2 just is not as intimidating on the soakage front. I would be happy to perform a nozzle drill for him, but i wanted to seek the advice of the community so i could have a reasonable idea of how such a mod would perform and what drill size to use for a useful result before suggesting the idea to him.

My first question is what sort of output can the colossus 2 realistically support? (given it only has 290mls of PC to work with. Also the re-charge time is not amazing - 15 pumps to fill the PC)

the Air pressure Sphynx has a smaller PC (260) than the C2. But it has much greater output on its largest nozzle than the C2 does (the Sphynx has a 27ml pump so can recharge faster so can better aford higher output)

Sphynx -N9 ::
Flat 9.5 m (31.17') Angled 12.0 m (39.37')Output 130.0 mL/s (4.33 oz./s) Shot time 1.5 s

i assume the colossus 2 could manage comparable stats

my second question is which nozzle to drill?

Colossus 2 -N3 - stream :
Flat 9.0 m (29.53') Angled 11.0 m (36.09') Output 36.5 mL/s (1.22 oz./s) Shot time 8.0 s

Colossus 2 -N5 - stream ::
Flat 9.5 m (31.17') Angled 12.0 m (39.37')Output 60.5 mL/s (2.02 oz./s) Shot time 4.5 s

Colossus 2 -N9 - burst ::
Flat 9.5 m (31.17') Angled 11.5 m (37.73') Output 85.0 mL/s (2.83 oz./s) Shot time 3.5 s

i personally would drill the N3 as i value the range of the N5 and the spread + range combo of the N9 burst (although clipping the bars is an easy way to get more output as mentioned in the discussion of the Waterlord)

All stats courtesy of Isoaker.

Enough of my thoughts - What do you think?
Last edited by jja on Mon May 18, 2015 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Colossus 2 Nozzle Drill - what is plausible

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:38 pm

After drilling out the nozzle I encourage you to insert a nylon spacer into the drilled hole. I need to make a guide for this on Hydrowar, but the resulting nozzle will produce much less turbulent streams. I need to find which nylon spacer I used on my Gorgon, but it's beast. When I get that I'll post it on here for you. I'd try to go with what would equate to a 4-5x nozzle. Anything above that would just be a close range nozzle. Also, since the Colossus 2 has less pc capacity than the original colossus remember that shot times will be lower.

I agree with you, drill out the N3. The other nozzles will be valuable alongside your new, larger nozzle.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

jja

Post by jja » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:07 pm

thanks for your feedback Marauder. But this blaster is not mine so i can't do anything i like, i was looking to get the whole plan thought through before suggesting it as an option to my friend.

the nylon spacer you recommend sounds like an excellent idea - could you let me know the inner diameter of the one you used on your Gorgon

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:24 am

I think a 1/8" nozzle would work fine as a start. XP 250's push 120ml streams using them

and M4 used an 11/64" ID spacer for his Gorgon's 5x setting
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

Cochise

Post by Cochise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:29 pm

My advise is to have a different nozzle for different circumstances. That way you can maximize the efficiency of your blaster and be ready for any situation. Have a short range (like 25-32 ft, not like riot blast) but max spread nozzle, have a long range power nozzle, and have a water conserving nozzle.

jja

Post by jja » Sat May 16, 2015 9:17 am

The mod has been completed. I Drilled out the N3 setting using a 3mm drill bit, equivalent to the N9 setting on my Gorgon.

the stats as measured quickly
Range angled 11.5m
Output 120mls
ShotTime 1.5s

The new N9 nozzle is decent - the range and output are good, and the wind resistance is greatly improved. But the shot time is a fair drawback to using this setting (worse if you don't pre-charge)- so perhaps not quite as useful as the N5 or N9 Burst but certainly more useful than the N3 it replaces, especially in a soakfest (although it is yet to be tested in this game type) as output is double the N5

The Colossus 2 easily has sufficient power in my mind to push 5x (if not more) but the pressure chamber is just to small to have viable shot time. Also mist shooting would be almost guaranteed, so subsequent shots would not be as forceful as the pre-charge would be lost (until you pump with the blaster upside down - this would get annoying after every shot though)
Last edited by jja on Mon May 18, 2015 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cochise

Post by Cochise » Sun May 17, 2015 10:19 pm

I really look forward to hearing how it fares in combat. From rereading some old posts it seems like pressure chamber capacity really matters in air pressure blasters. I really like my Colossus 2, but I wouldn't complain if it had the pc capacity of a 150 or something.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon May 18, 2015 12:26 am

Conchise from having handled the WW explorer (3oz/s with a 6oz PC) I can tell you that just having a larger chamber gives the 150 a huge advantage over it. We all praise the 150 no end on WWN and for good reason while my Explorer only get two shots at near max range before falling off drastically forcing you to repump immediately. Meanwhile I have seen my 150 get nearly the same range with up to 12 shots (9 if you factor out the XP 150 trigger's remarkable quickness) before it starts to fall noticeably shorter even just standing and shooting to see where it lands.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

jja

Re: Colossus 2 Nozzle Drill - Mod Complete

Post by jja » Mon May 18, 2015 4:10 am

@Cochise, This Colossus 2 faced my CPS 1000 as the first battle in my dueling sieries: JJA Duels and will likely be in the next few installments, as well as future battle reports