CPS 2500 Nozzle

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

CPS 2500 Nozzle

Post by HBWW » Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't post very often about the work I do, which is for shame given how many times I've had to fix something annoying.

Today's work comes from a 2500. The plastic portion that holds the nozzle selector in place started cracking sometime after Soakemore last year. This resulted in an inability to properly hold the O-ring in place, and created a mysterious leak. It took me some time to see the crack while I frantically tried other methods of repair. (No, silicone sealant wasn't going to do anything, and neither was a new O-ring. I knew this because the O-ring already there is working just fine.)

Anyway, I tried a few nozzle replacements before settling on this:
NylonWasher.jpg
NylonWasher.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 7364 times
With this as the end result:
2500n.jpg
2500n.jpg (37.04 KiB) Viewed 7364 times
I'm using epoxy putty not just to hold it in place and prevent leakage, but also as a nozzle guard. The first thing to take the war scuff would be the piece that used to hold the nozzle selector in place. The next would be the epoxy putty. I recommend this if you have a problem with smacking blaster fronts into hard objects, concrete, etc., although it seems to be more of a problem with some homemades.

The problem is, I didn't document which part this is, and I feel like an ass because I get annoyed when others don't document the parts they use. All I know right now is that the hole of the washer is 1/4" in diameter. It shouldn't be difficult to find something like this.

Nylon washers and spacers appear to be precision machined, which is just what we need. The surface quality is very good, and initial tests had this thing flying very close to CPS 2000 range. I may just bring this to Soakemore! The nozzle orifice is just barely under 10x, although I'm not completely sure whether the tapering helps or hinders. Our in-house physicists will have to answer that one. Based on previous discussions about conical nozzles, it should help. However, I could not find a conical nozzle of the appropriate size, and last time I tried drilling one resulted in a horrible stream. The problem is as was previously discussed: surface contact causes turbulence, but when that surface is longer than your average flat nozzle and also rough, the resulting stream is going to be horrible.

Perhaps there's further potential to be explored here. Nylon washers can be epoxied to other surfaces, such as a large hose barb, which may give us a good option for homemade nozzles. I will try to remember to update this thread if I make leeway in that area. Some types of idealized homemades are ones that can push a short, but very high performance shot that's at least on par with a CPS 2000, and we need large nozzle orifices to do that. However, a drilled endcap isn't going to get you anywhere with all that rough plastic edge.

Anyway, it's nice to have a nozzle experiment go nicely for once. Because this not only "fixed" the lack of a nozzle on the 2500 but also improved it, I posted this as a mod.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Re: CPS 2500 Nozzle

Post by marauder » Mon May 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Where did you get a tapered nylon spacer/washer? Also, please take stats when you can.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue May 13, 2014 7:14 am

Is that water weld i see?
"The world is yours" - Nas

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue May 13, 2014 7:24 am

I used epoxy putty. Nylon washer was from the hardware store.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue May 13, 2014 10:45 pm

So I suppose this renders the nozzle selector unusable?
In any case, great idea with the nylon washer. I should go get some...
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed May 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Yeah, I have no idea what to do with the selector now lol. It's a spare part for now.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed May 14, 2014 4:46 pm

You could definitely modify it for use with the current set up, but it'd take a lot of work. Some people, e.g. Rob, are big believers in only ever needing 1 nozzle. I would prefer to have about 3, but it's not necessary.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed May 14, 2014 5:35 pm

I haven't cared enough, as long as there is at least one good nozzle option. We don't make use of riot blasts and increased spread/output sort of nozzles, so I haven't found it to be too relevant. At times, I've also found it easier to not have to think at all about which nozzle you're using.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 14, 2014 9:32 pm

I never end up changing nozzles when I have a soaker with choices. When I switched from the quad burst to the 10x drilled nozzle and the middle nozzle on the Gorgon at varying points during Duelfest, that may have been the first time I've actually changed nozzles while fighting since 2007. In the Ridgewood era, I only really used a few types of soakers: 21K, 12K, 1021, and 2500 (and changed nozzles during combat on three of those). For the 21K and 12K, I carried alternate end cap nozzles in my pocket. In the community war era, I've mostly used things with one nozzle: 2000, 1200, 10K, 150. I used my 1700 a couple times only on 10x, used a 310 at Moab only on the largest nozzle, never took any Gorgon off quad burst, and the APWC doesn't even have a real nozzle. Even when I picked up Seal's 2700 to use in the Valley of Death round at Downpour 2012, I only used it on 2.5x. If that had been used for a primary, I would have had to switch up, but I only used it for a few minutes to ward off an attack in that area.

I think I switched often in the past and not anymore due to the length of old rounds and playing style shifts. Direct engagements tended to be fast-paced, moving affairs that required lots of shooting in order to keep the enemy at bay. Almost no round was shorter than 2 hours, so running low during one of these fights was a pretty bad situation to get into. We also had tougher hit rules, with only the shirt in play. It just made sense to switch down while skirmishing and to switch up only when you had a very good chance of making a hit. In the community war era, our long rounds haven't seen too much success in terms of forcing direct engagements. We also have lots of short rounds and about half of players had no concept of refilling tactics (which almost lost my team the CTF round at Moab when 3/5 were refilling at the same time). Additionally, I am more agile than in the past and simply don't need to take as many shots in general. In most of the situations where I would have returned fire, I now just dodge and move. Another big component of favoring one nozzle is the damn 2000. Using a 2000 in a round longer than 15 minutes teaches you to conserve water like nobody's business! I was able to take a 2000 30 minutes through the Domination round at Downpour 2013.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed May 14, 2014 10:36 pm

Can you bring the nozzle selector to Soakemore? I'm sure it wouldn't be able to change settings, but I would like to try gluing it onto my CPS 3200. With no nozzle selector the opening is too big compared to its power and all my attempts at making homemade nozzles have failed. Don't know if it would make a difference (that thing is probably the most abused gun I have other then that CPS 2100 I gave to SEAL), but if you have no other use for it I'd sure like to try.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu May 15, 2014 9:35 am

Honestly, you're better off with a trip to the hardware/home improvement store. A 2500 selector won't even come close to fitting on the 3200.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri May 16, 2014 12:11 pm

I know it wont "fit" but I figured I'd just glue the thing with the 5x over the output hole. I tried making my own nozzle, but it had really pour performance, I though if I put an actual nozzle over it instead of a piece of pipe it would work better. I never use the gun myself, but if I could make it more effective it might keep DC Sam from sucking so much! Really he just needs to dodge more, but having better range would help too.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri May 16, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm keeping it as a spare part, as opposed to cutting it up to glue to the 3200. Just wait until a week and a few days, and I'll help you out. Washer and putty are all you need. (In exchange, I think it'd make a great loaner for the weekend. =p)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri May 16, 2014 3:04 pm

You could come up with all sorts of cool nozzle options for the 3200. By far the easiest route would be to make one that's one size. What nozzle size would you go for Scott?

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri May 16, 2014 8:34 pm

I was thinking something like 5x. Right now it is probably something like 15 or 20x and it just doesn't have the power to push that much more then about 30 feet. It also goes through water much too fast with that big an output. I really want to increase the range, but if the shot time increases too that wouldn't be a bad thing. That 3200 is probably the most abused water gun I have ever seen that was still functional, even if it had the nozzle selector I doubt it would perform that well, but it is a nice intimidation weapon.

CA99: If you can help me get a nozzle on it you can use it for sure! I'm probably going to reserve the 1500, Vindicator, and Max-D 6000 for myself, but other then that I'm going to try and switch guns around. I only have three large CPS guns so I want to give everyone a chance to use them.