Python 2 internals and modding

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
darthmeow

Python 2 internals and modding

Post by darthmeow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:56 am

I had my Python 2 open for repairs a few days ago, here is a few pics of the internals:

(the nozzle selector was broken, that is why it is not in these pics)

The extra trigger spring the original had is not there for some reason.

Last edited by darthmeow on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Python 2 internals

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:20 am

Very nice. Were you able to fix the problem?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:56 am

marauder wrote:Very nice. Were you able to fix the problem?
I could not fix the nozzle selector, so I glued the 2X nozzle to replace the selector. This python actually has a drench n' blast reservoir now.
Last edited by darthmeow on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Very interesting. I'd like to see pics of the new mods.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks for the internals pics! There's something remarkable about the sheer simplicity of this particular blaster's design.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:46 pm

CA99 wrote:Thanks for the internals pics! There's something remarkable about the sheer simplicity of this particular blaster's design.
It really is simple. The only reason the nozzle selector broke was because I was trying to add a larger setting. Surprisingly the drench n' blast reservoir swap does not mean you have to pump it 100 times like the drench n' blast, and power does not drop off instantly like the drench n' blast. It basically performs the same as the stock python on 2X, but with a bit more power and range, and longer shot times, at the expense of more pumping.

Shot pic (that is about 2X right?)

The actual swap was easy, all I had to do was cut the shell and secure the reservoir (bungee cords and zip ties), because the reservoir connection on the drench n' blast and python is the same. The drench n' blast really is a giant python 2.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:56 pm

That's actually really cool. The shot looks more like 1.5x to me, but either way, it's great that it worked out for you. How far does it shoot?

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:13 pm

marauder wrote:That's actually really cool. The shot looks more like 1.5x to me, but either way, it's great that it worked out for you. How far does it shoot?
Without actually measuring, I would guess about 40 feet. Angled shots are quite practical because of the long shot time. The nozzle is actually made from the N5? larger stream setting from the selector, and is angled about 10 degrees up. Is the reason it does not make orca noises even though the res cap is on the side because it is PR?
I removed the mesh thing on the end of the intake tube and did not shorten the intake tube, and it can fire almost all the water in the res if slightly angled.

darthmeow

Re: Python 2 internals and modding

Post by darthmeow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:18 pm

I decided to try a nozzle upgrade with a 5 mm brass nozzle, because I fired it without any nozzle and this was the result:
It was not laminar, but range was okay and output was good.
Here is the hose nozzle I used:
And here is the result (can someone try to figure out the x rating?):
The real problem with these nozzles is shot time. Like the drench n' blast firing both nozzles, the hose nozzle depletes pressure very fast. Like, 40 pumps for 1 second of shot time at decent range. I switched back to the 1.5X nozzle after these tests, because field life is why I did this mod in the first place.

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:00 pm

I would guess it's 1.5x and 4x, but to be completely sure you'd have to do measurements. My brass nozzle gives me 10x on my xp pool pumper blaster, but these are very different guns. To be able to support larger nozzle sizes you really need a pressure chamber. I'm still impressed with your mods though. Have you done any stats testing?

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:19 pm

marauder wrote:I would guess it's 1.5x and 4x, but to be completely sure you'd have to do measurements. My brass nozzle gives me 10x on my xp pool pumper blaster, but these are very different guns. To be able to support larger nozzle sizes you really need a pressure chamber. I'm still impressed with your mods though. Have you done any stats testing?
I have not done any stats testing. I would probably measure only the small nozzle unless someone wants exact information about the hose nozzle. I can tell you range is basically stock, so isoaker's statistics for the N5 nozzle are probably fairly close. It was getting about the same range with no nozzle and the brass nozzle, but it could only fire for about a second without drop off. The reservoir actually fired backwards about half an inch and sprayed water everywhere, that is why I added the bungees.
Do you measure output by firing into a container for a specific amount of time, and recording the amount of water in the container?

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:49 pm

The best way to measure output is to film it shooting into a container. You got the amount of water from the container, which should be large and deep enough that water can't splash out. You get the shot time by reviewing the footage in any video editor, giving you very accurate start and stop times to use. Just know what frame rate your camera has (any video camera will do, even a smartphone works just fine). There are several choices for the output formula. I use average output, the volume you shot divided by the total shot time. Some people only want to capture the first second, which is tougher to do, but usually more useful to know, especially with AP guns.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:01 pm

I do the later method for air pressure blasters. It is very time consuming, which is often why output is the last thing I get done, and sometimes I don't get it done. I am no longer doing shot time for pressurized reservoir blasters cuz it varies too much - depending upon how much water is left in the tank.

Back to output though, sometimes it's more useful to fire at angles other than straight down. I've got a nice blender with a small removable piece in the top that allows me to fire into it from all sorts of angles without any of the water coming out. Finding the right equipment is the biggest challenge for accurately measuring output. I take 10 measurements and then average it out. Usually the measurements are not very far off even if you don't take 10 measurements.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:20 am

Okay, I fired it level into a 2 liter soda bottle for 5 seconds and it fired 6 oz, so 1.2X. A bit odd, since isoaker said it was about 2X for the setting I used. I might drill it to just a bit larger that it currently is.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:03 pm

That was your average output for 5 seconds. It isn't uncommon for power to drop off with time over 5 seconds. This is especially true of pressurized reservoir blasters. It could very well be 2x for the first second, but then the power decreases quickly after that.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 pm

marauder wrote:That was your average output for 5 seconds. It isn't uncommon for power to drop off with time over 5 seconds. This is especially true of pressurized reservoir blasters. It could very well be 2x for the first second, but then the power decreases quickly after that.
That explains the performance drop. I am actually thinking of getting another python and swapping the valves and nozzle selector.

Edit: I replaced the nozzle with one that I think has slightly lower output, but better range and shot time.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm

I will get data on the new nozzle later, but I think it is about 1.5X. This nozzle is made from a piece of an explorer nozzle, and it is almost matching my 2100 MK2 in range.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:17 pm

I measured using the same system as before, and the new nozzle is .8X over 5 seconds, so probably a bit more at the start.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm

well if it means more range, then it's most likely a good idea.
"The world is yours" - Nas

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Nemesis wrote:well if it means more range, then it's most likely a good idea.
Yeah, more range is great since the python already has good range. Shot time is also great on this nozzle.