This weekend I got my PPBs welded. I was so proud of the job that I wanted to take a picture with a high quality camera outside before it got dark. Everything was dry functioning perfectly. With the plastic joint that came with the PPB you could pull the trigger (with the shell open to see) and you could see that there was a great deal of lag in pulling the firing pin/opening the firing valve; and of course this translated into not opening the firng valve when the gun was put together and pressurized thus my whole quest to weld/find a remedy. With the new mod there was no slack in the cable as the two pieces were seemlessly welded together (with a small metal joint enveloping the 2). Pulling the trigger opened the firing valve quickly. Since I was getting home so late and it was always either cloudy or almost dark I decided, what the hell, let's put this together and try her out before taking a picture.
I pumped her up all the way, probably too much as there is no PRV to my knowledge, and pulled the trigger. I felt something happen, but I didn't see anything.
I took everything apart -
The force of the moment actually broke the welding job somehow. I have absolutely no idea how.
Not to be defeated I put a second together, one that, instead of being simply welded together had a much much larger metal joint welded over top of it. This faired only slightly better. When I pulled the trigger I felt something slip and water began to slowly pour out of the nozzle as if the valve was halfway open. It continued to pour out even after I released the trigger. The welding job held admirably but it didn't shoot right which was the whole point.
I have a few ideas of what the issue might be. In the following picture you'll see that where the trigger loops over the cable/rod/firing pin there is nothing in front of it keeping it tight against the spring behind it. The part of the trigger that slips over the firing rod is shaped like a C from the side, not an O where you have to slide the rod through it. Kind of like a lego hand, you can slide a lance/whatever through the hand but you can also clip it on from the side. Except that this piece doesn't clip, it is too large for that, so you kind of just slip it on.
At this point you may think I should just give up, but I'm only more determined because A) this seems insanely f****** simple. I tried everything with minimal pressure and simply pulled the rod/firing pin before the joint and the firing valve opened and released the pressure and then snapped back into place. B) There is simply no other gun that carries nearly 1500 ml worth of PC power that handles this well. This is lighter and easier to use than a 270 yet has the range of a Colossus stock and greater than that of a 2500 when nozzle modded. and C)I love rare s****
This just goes to show how finicky modding/repairs can be. You can be so close and still not even remotely achieve what you're trying. I created a mini laminator and 5x nozzle for my 310 that shot a perfectly smooth powerful 5x beam of water as perfect as you could ever imagine. Only one problem - it was too long and the nozzle cone no longer fit. Wanting everything to be perfect before I put the guide on Hydrowar I shaved down the end of the laminator to fit under the nozzle cone. Huge mistake. It ruined all lamination. So, I made a new laminator. This time I was all out of nylon spacers and Lowes here lookes to no longer carry them. So I thought, what the hell I'll use a washer at the end of a straw with coffee stirrers, since that was what the nylon spacer was superglued on top of anyway. Did not work out at all.
The fact that it was actually working perfectly gives me encouragement for that mod and the PPB repair. I have to be close on this.