Replacement Backpacks and tubing

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
Neptune

Replacement Backpacks and tubing

Post by Neptune » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 am

Hello again! I have just acquired a cps 3000 and I love it. The only problem is is that it didn't come with it's backpack. So what do you all use for replacement packs? I was going to go either camel pack or solar shower (or even a 3 liter bottle) but the camel pack seems small. Aside from the packpacks though does anyone know what size tubing I can use for a good seal at the tube connection at the back of the blaster? I know someone had to have done this haha.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Litre-Emergen ... 2c64cbdd01
I found this. Is there something like this for even cheaper? I may go with this for the bag itself, considering it's 8 liters and would probably hold water really well for this.
There's a few sites that list it for cheaper, but shipping is like 13 bucks.
I've got 110 problems but a <Nice lady> Ain't one

soakinader

Re: Replacement Backpacks and tubing

Post by soakinader » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Congrats on the CPS 3000, it's one of my favorites.

That is pretty cheap. The 8L bags I have seen are like 50$+. Solar shower= 10$. Guess what I bought.

I just realized that I don't have many pictures, but all you need is a solar shower, some 1/2" tubing, a barb + 2 pipe clamps, and a ball valve if you want to have more control over the flow. I tried to replace the original attaching mechanism, but it was hard. I ended up sticking a slightly narrower tube inside of the 1/2 tubing, and now it is a snug, friction fit into the gun. The ID of the tube connection is just slightly larger than 1/2", so you will either need 9/16" tubing or you will need to find something hollow you can stretch 1/2" over, like I did. If I had an original piece I would like to make a mould and create more, but short of having the original piece or something like that, you will need friction or you can replace the joint with glue, and some PVC or hose fittings, and just screw it together.

Someone more experienced (and less lazy than me :) will probably post the link from that other website. Just google it.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:26 pm

I use a 4L hydration pak. I find the solar showers a bit excessive, but everyone has a different fighting style. Unfortunately I don't have a 3200 anymore to get the measurement for you.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:15 pm

+1 for hydration pack. Can be expensive compared to solar showers, but worth it for ease of carrying.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Well, I'm currently in the process of procuring a few pieces to finish my current idea for this.
I was thinking about methods and I figured out a good hydration pack replacement for free(ish)!

What carries about 5 liters of liquid and is air tight? Wine Bladders. If you open a box of wine there is a bag in there, with the spout on the end. I'm going to replace the spout with a ball valve or some form of cap and cover the bag in linen or some other cloth and throw it in a back pack.

They come in sizes of 3, 4, and 5. They're 15 bucks at BJs (basically Costco) for a 5L one. I bought one today for testing purposes, once my family drinks all the wine I'll get back to you on this haha.

Here's hoping though, garbage into a 5 Liter Hydration pack? All we need is to be sure it's cleaned properly.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:32 pm

That is a sick idea and I look forward to seeing how this comes about. Would you mind documenting your modding process on here? My 4L hydration pack works great for my Pool Pumper, but I can see how a 5 L would be better for the 3000. I'm all about functionality. If a mod has great stats but is nonfunctional in battle it's completely worthless to me.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 pm

I mean, hopefully it will work. It's basically just a pouch of water, like a solar shower only a more practical size. I just have to figure out a better way to cap it and we should be good! I want to rig this to a quick disconnect valve though to let other blasters take it, even ones that don't usually use backpacks, like my MDS or something.

Though, if anyone comes up with ideas of making an easily close-able valve or lid for this tell me. I like what camel packs have but I'm not sure how I'd go about adding one. I have plenty of time before starting this project so tell me anytime! (It'll take a long time to finish 5L of wine)

So, I'm not sure if my 3000 was magic, but 1/2" tubing was is basically air tight. This project will be done the day my wine is depleted! :D

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:25 pm

You can get vinyl patches with valves, or thread on Boston valves for inflatable boats. You just need the right adhesive, or some way of fitting the nut inside the bag.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Could you elaborate on the vinyl patches with valves a little more? How much would a boston valve be?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:30 pm

They are sort of like Boston valves that come pre-attached to a patch. You could get the threaded type, and a patch, put the threaded valve into the patch, and glue the patch to the bladder. Probably looking around £4-5 (somewhere around $7?) for the threaded type. I can't find any images of the patch type, or any specific info I'm afraid. I have seen them on inflatable boats, but they seem to be less widely available than the threaded type.

And apologies for the late reply! :goofy: