the crazy AP mod

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
Poseidon2000
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

the crazy AP mod

Post by Poseidon2000 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:36 pm

i've finally settled to get an xp 250, but mod it like cccrrraaazzzyyy!!!
similar to what gjiv did to his xxp 275, i'll drill the fan nozzle and put extreme pc's. next i'll connect a backpack in a way. THEN i'll extend the lever to have easy firing...

The last mod... i need some advice on :goofy: : are there any power mods to increase range for AP guns? If there is i'll do that too.

with all this modding, i mine as well paint it and give it a new name, huh? the "xp 500" :D

T
H
A
N
K
S
!
:bringiton:

Poseidon2000

Re: the crazy AP mod

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:28 pm

i should be receiving the xp 250 in a week or so.

any suggestions to mod it?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:20 pm

With an AP blaster you can't do much more than nozzle mods, PRV modification (the only way to power-up an AP blaster, be it changing the spring or disabling it completely), and internal reinforcement (pipes, valves, seals, trigger components, and anything else that might suffer from increased pressure from a PRV mod).

Poseidon2000

Re: the crazy XP 500!

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 pm

I'll put a PRV mod and reinforcement, too. The backpack will be 3 gallons, and pc's will hold a gallon all together. the fan blast will be 10x and the 1x or 2x will be 5x.

Any suggestions on what to paint the XP 500?

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Such a beautiful vintage gun... except the colors scheme is a bit much. I hate to see an ugly mod, so here is what I recommend:
You going to replace the two PC's with 2 2L pop bottles? Use clear bottles, but take a piece of tape, run it straight down the bottle from the neck to the base, and put another piece directly opposite to it. Than paint the bottle a solid color (yellow, red, or blue, maybe purple) and peel the tape off when the paint is dry. Bam! Instant gauge. Cut a hole in the gun's reservoir cap and connect the tubing from the backpack to it, if you aren't sure about cutting a hole somewhere else in the reservoir. The PRV mod is unnecessary on this gun, from what I have read, you can pressurize the chamber until you can't physically pump anymore.
There is no 2X, it really is more like 3X, I recommend that you save the nozzle drilling for after you expand the PC's. I would love to see the fan blast when you are done!
I also prompt you to attach the PC's very well. While it would be hilarious, having your PC's break off and rocket into the air would probably be bad. Although I would love to see that.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 pm

i might paint the bottles blue or yellow for the color scheme. i rrreeeaaalllyyy hate that purple resevoir so i'll paint it red or blue. if i don't like the pc mod i could always rereplace back to the original. Plus this is the one mentioned "slipped back in the box, so i might not do any heavy modding, so i could still go back to the original. But that faded grape icicle purple has to go.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:37 am

You should take stats before and after so you know how well the mod works. It would be very useful for understanding your mod. Also, take pictures!

I really like Soakinader's PC mod idea. Basically, with air pressure guns you gain more power by the size of the firing chamber(s) in combination with the size of the nozzle. With CPS or elastic firing chambers power can be increased by thickness of the rubber used, how quickly the rubber retracts, and other factors. You can get more power out of a smaller firing chamber with CPS.

I am planning to experiment with replacing the firing chambers on my XXP 275 and maybe XP Pool Pumper Blaster with small CPS pressure chambers, like from the SC 500, Arctic Blast, or Hydrocannon.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:22 am

The Hydrocannon? You realize if you do that to an XXP275, you would have half the chamber capacity...
Now, if you used Flash Flood/Arctic Blast PC's, you could get a lot of power and have about the same capacity.
I plan on taking two HC chambers and putting them on one gun... more on that once I actually have two HC's and am willing to admit it.
But that's not really AP anymore, is it?

I have to tell you, again, that I would hate to heavily modify a nice gun. Especially a nice rare, vintage gun. Remember, what you have is not a CPS 1000. Finding another one- quite unlikely, finding another one in the same condition- improbable. You should spend some time shooting the gun, by itself. The colors may grow on you.

It's times like this I wish I could give you my ____ which is in poor working/physical condition for you to modify into a crazy beast, and take your nice ____ and keep it the way it is.

Also, still kicking myself for not grabbing that second XXP275 all those months ago. I would have modified that one.... it had no stickers, and was a little faded. Oh well.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 am

marauder wrote:I really like Soakinader's PC mod idea. Basically, with air pressure guns you gain more power by the size of the firing chamber(s) in combination with the size of the nozzle.

Hmmm. so after testing all the nozzles, i should probably drill the least useful, the fan, to a 5-7x nozzle. Hopefully then it could shoot "50 feet" :D

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 pm

One alternative to painting it is to make a ghillie cover for it. This is the best camo you can get, better than painting it; and on top of that, you keep the original stock colors underneath it. The ghillie cover even keeps the gun from fading due to sun exposure. I did this with both my CPS 2000 and my XP Pool Pumper Blaster. The Guide is on Hydrowar.

Of course, if you mostly fight in the city the camo is not usually useful, but it still covers up the stock colors while keeping the aesthetics of the gun in original condition.

My primary concern with going bigger with PC size is weight balance and PC height. I doubled the PC size of my SS 100 mk2 (mod is on Hydrowar) and although it shot for an insane amount of time I just couldn't get over how tall and unweildy the back of the gun was. It annoyed me to the point that it wasn't even worth the extra shot time and I plan on replacing it with the original PC or maybe one from an SS 200. The 300 has tall pressure chambers, but it's already heavy with the backpack and I have to use a lever to fire it - so my mobility has already been compromised. The PPB is soooo light. I can one hand that thing all day long. The balance is amazing. That is one thing I love about the gun. The range is already 39 feet with a nozzle bore the same size as the XP 70s (but double the output). I am going to construct a multi nozzle mod to find the best nozzle size for max range. It already holds 40 oz in the PC (4x 10 oz) and although switching those out with Hydrocannon PCs (6 or 8 oz? I can't check at the office) would decrease ultimate PC capacity I have a feeling that shot time would be unaffected since a 6-8 oz CPS PC probably = same shot time as a 10 oz air pressure PC. Using a larger PC size would make the gun unweildy and I'd still have around 24 - 32 oz of PC capacity at my disposal. The 275 is slightly different since it's impossible to fire single-handed and because it is all around bulkier. Using 2 Flash Flood PCs may be the way to go on the 275. They wouldn't be as tall as a 1L bottles or whatever GJIV used. I love power but I am equally about mobility.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:09 pm

This might be good for Downpour, which i'm going to.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Poseidon2000 wrote:
marauder wrote:I really like Soakinader's PC mod idea. Basically, with air pressure guns you gain more power by the size of the firing chamber(s) in combination with the size of the nozzle.

Hmmm. so after testing all the nozzles, i should probably drill the least useful, the fan, to a 5-7x nozzle. Hopefully then it could shoot "50 feet" :D
I plan on modding the fan nozzles of my 275 into 5x nozzles, and I plan on modding one of the shower nozzles into an off setting in case I want to use just one nozzle. If the fan nozzle is too wide to make it 5x then you can fill it in with epoxy and redrill. Just make sure that you remove the orange nozzle from the gun and that you only put epoxy on that part of the nozzle after it has been removed, none of the working parts.
Poseidon2000 wrote:This might be good for Downpour, which i'm going to.
SEAL, Scott, DX, and I have been talking about forming teams or clans for Downpour, to make things more competative :flashflood: can't wait.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:39 pm

I can't wait too.

for the pc's, i might lay vegetable oil bottles flat on. this would still make it have a good balance and 3liters, but wouldn't impair mobility as much as a cps 2000 for i don't plan on using the resevoir, but a backpack to hook up directly.

You might have to help me through with the nozzle drillin'...
sounds weirdly hard

:D

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Ask your parents for help. If they can't help you then I'll bring a Dremel to Downpour and we can do it there on that Friday. If you use vegetable oil bottles your PCs would be very tall. That would obstruct mobility a lot as it'd get in the way of reaching for the trigger lever as well as being in the way of your line of site. But then again, you may be able to get used to it and be able to overcome it.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:16 pm

marauder wrote:Ask your parents for help. If they can't help you then I'll bring a Dremel to Downpour and we can do it there on that Friday. If you use vegetable oil bottles your PCs would be very tall. That would obstruct mobility a lot as it'd get in the way of reaching for the trigger lever as well as being in the way of your line of site. But then again, you may be able to get used to it and be able to overcome it.
i was going to use 1 large bottle lay it horizontally, and put 2 openings so it would gain pressure from both areas in one large chamber.

EDIT: would that work??? :|

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:47 am

It would, but you'd get mist shots when aiming at 45° (i.e. when trying to get maximum range). Two separate horizontal pressure chambers would be better, although vertical tend to be best (gives the flexibility to aim up and down without mist shots).

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 am

I think the best option would be to try to get broken Flash Floods, Arctic Blasts, or Hydrocannons from people and then use 2 of the PCs instead. If you are going to stick with air pressure, which will be the easiest to do, then what Andrew says is correct. Just experiment with various PCs before you commit to one. You don't even have to install them, just line up the bottles to make sure that it has a good feel. Obviously performance is most important, IE power, range, and shot time; but if they get in your way then it's compromosing your ability to use that performance.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:17 am

hmmm....

so if there are spare pc's that i have, i could put them where the air pc's are, and that'll be an elastic pressure gun?

cuz my mr IRON MAN 2 is broken to the point where i don't know whats wrong.