Which Performance Mods have YOU done?

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Which Performance Mods have YOU done?

Post by marauder » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:01 am

By performance mods I mean anything to increase a gun's output, range, or capacity. This topic is not to discuss durability or aesthetic mods.

I was going through the modifications board here and on SSC and realized that the boards were full of "how do I?" posts and posts about upcoming projects that never were completed. I think it's important to look at what we've actually done here and to be able to take some knowledge and understanding away from it. What have you learned through your performance mods?

When you list your mods please link to any threads or webpages where you discussed your mod, that way we have a great reference page here.

Which performance mods have you done? How did they turn out?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Poseidon2000
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Which Performance Mods have YOU done?

Post by Poseidon2000 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 pm

hmmmmm..... Performance mod, huh?

In the same day i got my solar shower for my backpack, but i also drilled my mr. IRON MAN 2 arctic blast's normal nozzle to 3x and collosussed it.

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:01 am

How has that affected the performance of your Iron Man2? Can you get some stats for us?

I've done CPS 3200 colossus (original colossus)
SC 600 colossus using LRT on top of existing rubber bladder. It was too powerful and blew off the plastic clamp on the back.
Arctic Blast integration mod with 1200 PC. I don't have the stats on hand, but it was pretty powerful, will have to find this when I get home.
1200 k mod
2100 k mod
1500 k mod the gun has a low HPL and didn't respond well to the mod. I have an interesting study that I made on this in excel.
Tribulation (see Hydrowar) custom CPS 1700
SS 210 (see Hydrowar) custom SS 100 mk2
4L softpak added to XP Pool Pumper Blaster (very nice)
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Poseidon2000

Post by Poseidon2000 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:06 am

kay.

the drilling mae the gun leak a bit, but on the upper hand 20 pumps got the gun to shoot 45 feet for 11 seconds... [forgpt to mention but besides the colossus, i changed the pc with my friend's destrpyed 3000.] the riot blast shoots for about double the time and gets 30 feet at around 25x output

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:17 pm

I've drilled the nozzle on my MD 3000, and tried to K-mod a 1200, but that's about it. If a blaster is working fine, I'm not likely to mess around with it, because of the fear of completely screwing it up ("If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!"). That's the main reason why I rarely perform blaster modifications, though I do have some planned (just need to find time to do them.) for the future.

And in case you were curious, the MD 3000 performs like a stock one except the stream is slightly thicker. The only reason I drilled it out was because the nozzle somehow got deformed, and was messing up the stream. The 12K's pull valve was busted; opening it up revealed nothing, so I lubed it and tried to close it, but I ended up melting the plastic and now the valve doesn't fit together very well, and it doesn't fire at all. As far as the K-mod went, the few times I tried it (and it actually worked.), the pump seemed to struggle a lot against only 30 balloons, but the stream was much faster and I'm pretty sure it flew farther. I had to take off 25 balloons before the pump would actually handle it, and I don't think I ever tested it with 5 balloons because of the f***ing pull valve, so I don't know how it will perform.

I want to replace the valve, but I have no idea how to go about it. I don't think they make PVC ball valves small enough to fit onto the internal tubing.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 pm

Never tried a colossus or reservoir expansion. Done a lot of K-mods ranging from 10 to 105 balloons and on every K-moddable soaker except the 1700. Tried a few PC swapping integrations, with the "1021" showing the best results. Other than that, some multiple nozzle mods, some nozzle drilling, tried XPS once, a lot of disabled PRVs. I have a new integration project in the pipeline, but I need more SS 50s in order to start.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 am

I want us to start taking stats on these. I think it'll help us make a better link between mod theory and practical application. I have a lot of stats and graphs to publish when I get home. I know some of you find this really boring, but I think there's a lot of good lessons to be learned.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:48 am

I'm waiting to get my CPS 2500, I'm planing to test it with both bladders (DX's and Mine) to get the best range.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:50 pm

I drilled out the two intermediate nozzles (N3 and N5?) on the Gorgon's nozzle selector, and made a laminator for the Expedition's biggest nozzle.
The difference between the nozzles before was almost unnoticeable; now you have the stock smallest (N1) nozzle, the largest (N9) nozzle, and then a larger nozzle with good range and output, followed by the biggest nozzle, which is a small riot blast. Top that off with the + cross setting, and it's a very capable weapon.
The Gorgon is no longer in stock at my local Walmart. Drench + Blasts are hard to find. Nerf Super Soakers are on sale. There is still hope.
And as some people would know from my thread, the laminator for the Expedition (Blazer 2005) decreases range and turbulence. The stream is very smooth now.
Hoping to colossus my Monster X, CPS 2000, and K-mod my 2700.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Does the end result HAVE to be an improvement in performance? Cause then I lose a lot of my stories :P

Successful mods:
-K-mod on a 1200
-Crappy (but still successful) colossus on a Flash Flood
-PC capacity enhancements on said Flash Flood
-Nozzle drills on a few blasters
-PC swap between a Blazer and an Orca. I never measured, and if there is a difference it's probably minimal, but it improved Dux's Orca so I'll take his word for it...
I do plan to give my Gorgon a better nozzle selection when I find my (now broken) Blazer's old nozzle selector, but it hasn't happened yet
...Aaaaand I can't remember the rest.

Now for the fun ones, unsuccessful performance mods!!!
-PRVD on a couple of Max D 6000s, glue got into their check valves.
-PC replacement on a WW Lightning. Replaced the Hydropower PC with a balloon one, and I still don't know what's wrong with it. It may have built up too much pressure and busted one of the inner valves, or maybe there's just a torn up balloon getting in the way, but as it stands that baby is broken and I haven't yet gotten around to looking at it. For what it's worth, the one time I did successfully shoot it, it got a huge boost in power. So huge in fact that the stream couldn't handle it and broke up immediately upon exit.
-SS 100 amalgamation of misery: I don't even remember what I tried to do here. It was when I first got into the hobby, I think there was something to do with putting a ball valve on it, there was an attempt to XPS it, who knows what else I conjured up.
-EES Turbine lolfest: This one's pretty good, I tried to turn the pressurized reservoir system into a CPS. Needless to say, the result is that its parts are scattered across two or three different boxes.

I'm a bit lazy now, but I can scavenge for links to threads I opened up about some of these later.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:24 pm

As far as I can remember, the only preformance mods I have done are a lol PRV plug on a nearly broken MD3k that proceded to break furthen and get lost, and a 15 balloon k-mod on my cursed 2100. I haven't posted anything about it because the damn gun keeps having simple problems that I am too much of a modding noob to be able to fix correctly. When I first got it the reservoir was a bit leaky and the valve would occasionally get stuck open until the shot ended. I did manage to fix the leak (just had to put some lube on the o-ring between the res and piping) but then I decided that k-modding a gun that had a problem that I knew k-modding would worsen would be a good idea. It does have a rubber band on there, but it isn't very strong and I couldn't figure out how to put a better one on. Also, the trigger pull is already uncomfartably heavy. I question more and more whether buying a mk 2 was a good idea.

I have two nozzle mods that I have the parts for that would each take about five minutes to do, but I have yet to get around to them becuase I am unsure of the best way to do them. On my IM2, I realized that one of the derpy water balloon fillers I have that use a thread that fits nothing is just the right size for putting over the flood nozzle. I tried it one time just holding it on, and despite water squirting out the sides, it got good range. There are two things That make me hesitant, however. The first is that I would like to make the mod reversable or at least semi-reversible by using hot glue to hold the nozzle on, but I am unsure if it would be strong enough. The second problem is more of a question: is the orange nozzle piece seperate from the two casing halves? I would like to be able to disassemble the gun if need be.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Never listed anything here, so here's a list:

- Several light k-mods. Pretty run-of-the-mill stuff, nothing crazy here.
- Nozzles: Lots of drilling and/or replacements. I screwed up several times, costing a CPS 12k and SC 400 some combat effectiveness.
- Piranha: Replaced the HydroPower PC with a 2L soda bottle. Should've used .5L instead; this thing needs so much pre-pumping and is rather unwieldy at times. Durability is another concern if it gets put under rugged conditions, because the PC has no additional support, it's only connected directly to the internals with a ton of epoxy putty. Performance is, IMO, better than stock (more constant pressure) if you get enough air pumped in. Just need a high air to water ratio before the PRV kicks in.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Has anyone successfully performed a nozzle drill on an SC 400, 500, or 600? Because I'd love to get a 500 or 600 and drill the nozzle out. When I upped the nozzle size on the WWF guns I brought the range up from 32 to 36 feet.