CPS 2050

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
DukeSoakem

CPS 2050

Post by DukeSoakem » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:17 pm

As continuing on from the CPS 2025, given I couldn't figure out a way to get more than one nozzle on that without hacking/messing up original parts, so I went back and had a look if I could do anything with the CPS 2500's nozzle selector and valve piece I had salvaged. I could have done what I am about to show on the 2025, however I had a nice powerful CPS 2000 Mk2 to spare, so I decided to do it on that. Two reasons for this. One, this CPS 2000 had more power and range than any other I have owned, and two, I have found the 2000 Mk2's firing chambers to on average hold a bit more than a 2500's chamber (about 1oz, not much but it all counts), so combined that it was more powerful and it held a bit more, I thought it would be good to see this with a 10x nozzle and just the 2500's nozzle selections in general.

So basically, this is a CPS 2000 Mk2 with the 2500's flexibility, and also more power and range than an average 2500. The nozzle is also more reliable now. It is sort of a mod/integration, however it is also a repair. I find the 2500's nozzle selector design not very good, the screw and threads to keep it on once you take it off once or twice to open it wear out really quick, so you cannot get it back on, after a bit of thought on how I could create a more radical design solution, I have finally done it today. I will show it all with a write up when the new site makeover is done, however I have made it so the nozzle can be taken off without the need for damaging screws threads and wearing things out. It involves nuts and washers and various other parts which you'll find out. It has also stopped water leaking underneath the nozzle when firing now as well.

Here is a picture of the almost done item, I say almost done because the nozzle selector piece has a small hairline crack around the outside of the 5x nozzle, which I need to fix with some Loctite superglue before I go out and use it anymore. Aside from that it is just the new logo I may do.

Also, this is probably going to be Dukes final mod, since I don't really plan to buy anymore blasters to do any mods like this on now, I have enough stuff that I want back since I returned.
Attachments
CPS-2050-Forum-Pic.jpg
CPS-2050-Forum-Pic.jpg (209.59 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Last edited by DukeSoakem on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: CPS 2050

Post by marauder » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the range and shot time. It looks really sharp with the 3 nozzles. Also, I agree with you about the 2500's nozzle selector. I have a 2500 which has been used only 3x (all were major wars) and it leaks out of the nozzle about every other battle and I've had difficulty putting it back on after repairing.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DukeSoakem

Post by DukeSoakem » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Well this repair/mod might present a possible way out of constantly having to face this issue on the 2500. It is quite an involved method, I can't say it is a totally easy 5 minute job, you need to be patient with it, however it seems that at the moment it does work, and if I do ever need to take things apart I don't have to deal with a screw thread again. A screw thread is still there, however it is not part of sealing the nozzle on anymore, just there as a guide to keep things straight.

In the short few fires with it before I decided to stop until I have sealed the plastic crack (I'll be buying the glue Monday), the 5x stream seemed pretty good, the 10x was may be a bit predictably the best, in fact it was was a violent aggressive long range stream which is I'd say a bit better than the average 2500 10x due to the slightly more powerful bladder, and the 20x seems ok, however I need to fire it a few more times on that nozzle.

DukeSoakem

Post by DukeSoakem » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Aside from the CPS 2050 logo which I may or may not do, I have completed it, I got the little teething issues finished and solved today (yeah I couldn't wait so got the glue early).

So, what has been done since last time I posted.

-Nozzle cracks fixed - This worked great, I superglued it inside and outside and it has worked, no more leaking there.

-Nuts that clamp the nozzle on had a bit of an issue with loosening when changing between nozzle settings after a while, which meant after a short period of use, the nozzles would fire water out of the top and sides as the selector wasn't tight on anymore. This has been fixed now - because they are smaller and because of the 2500's nozzle selector design, the 5x and 10x nozzles do drip a bit of water underneath when fired, however it is not enough to bother me.

-Massive improvement to the 20x nozzle, it can now consistently fire a long range stream all the time that doesn't act unpredictable - If you look inside 20x on the nozzle selector piece, there is a small but uneven seam/burring that is there, which causes the nozzle to fire unpredictably and inconsistently, causing turbulance. This needs to be removed, I used sandpaper wrapped around a round file and patiently sanded it away, while also making it smooth.

And the end result? Shit that's powerful! Overall I am rather satisfied. The range on all the nozzles is very far and consistent. We are talking high 40's and even into the 50s if on a good shot. The great thing is that every nozzle is very useful now. This 2000 Mk2 was a great example to do this on as it had more power and range than an average one, and it really shined through on all nozzles. This thing is lethal, more lethal than a normal 2500.

I have got some shot times, predictably you may find this disappointing as they are not as high as some may think, however it kinda makes sense as to why it is getting them.

5x: 3.3 seconds
10x: 1.5 seconds
20x - 0.8 seconds

I think it is because of the sheer power this CPS 2000 has that even on the 10x nozzle, it still discharges the water pretty quickly and violently.

As a whole though, I am again impressed and feel that my work on this is pretty much finished.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Holy crap, that's awesome. A lot easier than making your own selector, that's for sure. I'm surprised the range isn't higher; I heard that the 2000 can hit the mid-50s if the nozzle was a certain size (can't remember the exact size; perhaps around 15X?).
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

DukeSoakem

Post by DukeSoakem » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks, chances are the ranges are in the 50s, I didn't fire it in the place I usually measure range so I don't have a fully clear idea yet. However I can tell that it could definitely get 50 as it can hit the fence when fired from the other side of my garden outside the garage, which is quite a good inital test place of a blasters range where I am. Not only can it hit there easily, it can hit the fence further up as well when you angle it away from firing straight at the fence in front of you.

I think the certain nozzle size you are talking about where it can hit mid 50's may actually be the 2500'a 10x sized nozzle, I'm sure I remember somewhere where people were saying the 2500's 10x can possibly get over 50, and at the rate water comes out of what I have done, it's 10x nozzle output wise is about 15x. From what I have seen that nozzle can definitely get 50 or more on a good shot and conditions. Either way this blaster is great for long range now on every nozzle. I'm just glad it all worked, it was a bit touch and go but I am glad that at the end of it the 2500's nozzle selector now has a use and a very effective one at that.

Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to start on a homemade nozzle selector!

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:08 am

SEAL wrote:Holy crap, that's awesome. A lot easier than making your own selector, that's for sure. I'm surprised the range isn't higher; I heard that the 2000 can hit the mid-50s if the nozzle was a certain size (can't remember the exact size; perhaps around 15X?).
Wayne Schmidt tried various nozzle sizes with the mk1 and determined that the stock nozzle was the best. I think there was one nozzle that shot a little further, but the stream lamination was not as good, so it was not as effective. Of course, we have to consider the fact that he was using brass pipes for nozzles, and not an actual nozzle selector like Duke. It would be interesting to try this mod on an Mk1.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 pm

I made a 2250 last summer (and had to reverse it due to the 2500's selector seal being misaligned) and the 10x definitely clears 50ft with ease. The 5x isn't very good and the 20x is improved, but still not great. The 2000's stock nozzle is, as Marauder mentioned, already optimal. I think the 10x gets more range when in a 2250 integration due to the way the 2500's nozzles are laminated. It's not the same as the 2000, so the performance comes out differently. It's why I don't think a 10x would clear 50 if attached to a 2000's native nozzle.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers