Advice on painting

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Advice on painting

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:49 pm

I hope there isn't already a topic on this, I didn't look that hard.

I am planning on painting some of my guns and was wondering what the best way to go about this would be.

I want to paint my WW Crickits all black and then put red strips (and maybe a symbol like a dragon or something) on it. I also want to paint those stripes on my WW Colossus and a patriotic paint job for the SS Arctic blast

I need advice on what kind of paint to use (my original idea was to use Acrylic) as well as how to paint areas such as the pump and trigger so that they will still work. Specific brand names are not necessary but I would like to at least know what types to use, so that I can go to the store with something more then "spray paint" or something vague like that. (because I am guessing there is more then one type of spray paint, plastic paint, etc.)

Thanks!
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

mr. dude

Re: Advice on painting

Post by mr. dude » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Probably acrylic, and seal it with a matte varnish/sealant of any kind (even a thin layer of white glue can do a fantastic job sealing your paint).

Having said that, I paint miniatures, not water blasters.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:44 pm

The easiest way to paint things like the pump and trigger is to take the soaker apart and paint them individually. Acrylic will last a long time, but any kind of paint eventually chips off and needs touching up. I use spray paint (whichever brand is for plastic and is the cheapest), but it comes off more easily than anything else. That doesn't matter too much if you are painting for functionality rather than aesthetics. Recall my 12K, which still has effective camo, despite being chipped all over. In that one Hydropoc team pic, it looks like it's part of my shoulder, but the paintjob is years old and has scratches everywhere!

So basically:
Real Paint --> Longer Lasting --> More Effort = For Looks
Spray Paint --> Shorter Lasting --> Almost No Effort = For Use
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:37 am

Duke used vinyl dye spray paint on the CPS1500 which I now have. Apparently it 'seeps into the plastic when sprayed on, so the colour actually stays there and won’t chip off'. He made a page about it on his site.

Having this blaster myself, I can confirm, the finished product looks great, AND hasn't flaked, chipped or washed off. :D

I've done a few detail tweaks with permanent marker, and black tape, which I'll probably post as part of the 'CPS1500 overhaul' thread, which I'll create when I'm finished the... well... overhaul! :goofy:

Cover anything you don't want covered in paint with masking tape, balloons etc. (be inventive! :) ), especially the pump or nozzles. If you strip the whole thing down, you can paint just the casing without risk of getting paint in the pump or nozzle components.

For stripes, use strips of masking tape and the spray paint.

For the dragon detail, a stencil and spray paint would be the easiest, and probably give the best result. That, or you buy a waterproof sticker (some sellers on ebay will make any logo you give them into a waterproof sticker!).

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:37 am

Some nice advice here, I think I will try and get to the store and buy some paint soon. I think I will use spray paint for getting the Crickets black, I might take em apart, but knowing my track record for getting guns apart I think it will be easier to just put tape on the parts I don't want painted. I'm going to hand draw the stripes and dragon design, I really good with that sort of thing so if I draw it out before hand I'm sure I can pull it off.
For now, I think I am just going to leave the other guns as is, the tape I used is really holding and already looks pretty good so I'm going to wait until it starts to ware before I take it off.

Thanks for all the great advice!
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:39 pm

If you can paint the dragon detail by hand then even better. If it doesn't look right you can always re-paint it and try again. As I said, if you can get hold of some vinyl die spray paint better still. The last thing you want is the paint chipping and ruining all the hard work (especially the dragon).

I can't wait to see what these are going to look like!

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm

I plan on painting a faded CPS 2700 to match my CPS 1700. Anyone have a CPS 2700 sticker in mint conditiion they could scan for me?
I plan on using vinyl dye paint for the whole thing. Just need to find the right green, blue and purple, and maybe some orange. I plan on replacing the yellow with green, the red with blue, and touching up the purple.
I'll post a concept picture of the final product using photoshop in a few days. The cool thing is that the CPS 1700/2700 stickers are nearly identical, and they both use purple in the body and the sticker. I have always loved the 1500 and the 1700 has an even better look, but the 2700, while a massive water-slinging beast, is quite ugly in it's current condition.
While I'm at it, anyone have the silly nozzle cover for the 2700?
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't have any of the stuff you need, but you could look on the internet for good quality images of a 2700, edit out what you don't need (everything but the sticker), and use one of the sellers on eBay (or elsewhere) who can print a waterproof sticker from whatever image you send them.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 pm

Yeah, I have looked for a high-quality picture of the 2700, but so far, no luck. There is either glare, or a bad angle, or the sticker isn't right, or the quality is too low and when I scale it to the right size, it looks like *************. Like worse than the sticker I already have on the 2700 (and it is bad!). Count the stars. I mean it. Isoaker's is the best one, but I would like a close up of the sticker... I am in no rush, but please...

And I am sure somebody ripped off the nozzle cover in rage, but held onto it. Come on... now's your chance...
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:48 am

If isoaker (or anyone who still has the box) took a close up of the one on the back of box that might work better (flat surface and less shiny). It depends on how good the camera is and how high it's resolution is, otherwise when you scale up the smaller image it may not look as good.

torrespi

Post by torrespi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 am

My name is Salvadore Torres . This is my CSP 2000 MK2 Model customized.

I am prior USMC and like my blasters looking realistic and military style ..and I do agree to the warning of the risks for this type of paint job.. I use mine only at water wars fights and when it is accepted and allowed .

The art custom paint job was commissioned to artist Nelson Rivera who is well know in the Nerf and props community. He is and is one of the best in the industry and I have not seen any better so far in my searches for pictures and paint jobs..not saying there are none...but be nice to see them for the CSP 2000 or other water pistols or rifles models.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (212.29 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (228.04 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (196.57 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (201.87 KiB) Viewed 6844 times