What mods should I use for my arctic blast?

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
Mickej

What mods should I use for my arctic blast?

Post by Mickej » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:51 am

As it said on the subject I am looking for recommendations of mods I should use for my arctic blast. I have already back pack modded it so I want mods that can cooperate with it.

When I back pack modded my arctic blast, I removed the tank. My arctic blast does leak very much from the pressure relief valve. I am wondering if I should fill it in or if I should put the tank back.

I am very new to this 'water gun modding topic' so I would apreciate detailed step to step instructions.

Andrew

Re: What mods should I use for my arctic blast?

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:56 am

May a direct your attention to the mods page on SSCentral?

Many of the mods on this page are suitable for the Arctic Blast. Some (like the PC expansion) you'll need to take care with if you don't want to irreparably damage the blaster (in this case by over expanding the bladder PC). The multi-nozzle mod works on the Arctic Blast (the other two require a nozzle selector). You can disable the pressure relief valve if you wish, and colossus the pressure chamber (you can't K-mod it).Some of the reliability and accessory mods are also applicable. Most of these guides (multi nozzle, accessory, PC expansion, PRV disabling) feature a 'how-to' specifically for the Arctic Blast. There are too many mods to post how-to's specifically for, so have a look at the guides, and will give you a hand with any you're not sure about.

It might be worth buying a max--infusion backpack or aqua pack. That way you can have both the standard reservoir plus a backpack for more capacity. If you think either max-infusion solution is too small, you can use the special max-infusion adaptor to connect your backpack to the blaster's reservoir.

EDIT: The definitive list of SSCentral or WaterWar mods you can use on an Arctic Blast:

CAPACITY MODS
Backpack (already done)
PC expansion
Reservoir expansion (either adding a backpack or making the existing reservoir larger)

NOZZLE
Multi-nozzle

POWER
Colossus
PC swap (you might as well use LRT)

OTHER
Reliability
Accessory mods (the pump handle)
Painting
Slings/Straps

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:43 am

Should your trigger valve ever break (which is inevitable if you use it a lot...), this mod that I did on mine should fix it. You may want to use a stronger spring than I did though; sometimes I have to manually close the valve if the spring can't do it.

But as for mods that you can do to it right now, I think Andrew has you covered. One thing I've been thinking about doing with mine is, decomissioning the main valve and connecting the trigger directly to the "flood" valve, while adding JLspacemarine's stream laminator to the riot nozzle. Since this would probably use up water really fast, I'd probably backpack mod it (though I would leave the reservoir on.), and maybe even do a PC expansion.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:04 pm

I'll add de-max-d (essentially Seal's mod) to prolong the life of the valve and make it silent.

Mickej

Post by Mickej » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:37 am

Thank you for the repost which gave me some ideas of mods i should use. I was thinking of doing the colloseus, disabling pressure relief valve, pc expansion and adding straps on my arctic blast. Though, i got some questions:

Is colloseus mod any good? I think i have read somewhere that the guy in the guide removed it later on his arctic blast.

Does pc expansion mod cooperate well with colloseus?

Can i use something else than the tube on the guide for the pc exapansion?

Is there better alternitives?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:04 am

Mickej wrote:Is colossus mod any good? I think I have read somewhere that the guy in the guide removed it later on his Arctic Blast.
That all depends on what you want from a blaster. The colossus mod will give your blaster a boost in power, by increasing the resistance of the bladder. If you overdo a colossus you may break some of the internals of the blaster (remember the blaster was never designed to operate at higher pressures than stock). It also depends on what you use to colossus the blaster. If you do use bike tubes, latex tubes (the same material as the stock bladder) are the best to use. Alternatively you could layer the bladder with another layer of LRT (link in my first post). The main reasons to undo a colossus (or any other power mod) is either fear of breaking the blaster, or reduced performance. It may sound counter-intuitive, but some blasters can't handle the extra power and will produce less coherent streams when the power is increased. A heavy colossus mod will also reduce the shot time considerably.
Mickej wrote:Does pc expansion mod cooperate well with colossus?
In short, yes and no. It depends on what you use to colossus the blaster. An extra layer of LRT (essentially exactly what the original bladder is made from) will expand lengthways better than a bike inner tube layer. If you want to go for a PC expansion consider replacing the PC completely with LRT and a transparent plastic pipe (that way you can always refit the original bladder, without having to hack the casing open). Contrary to what you may think, a longer elastic bladder won't give a higher PC capacity. Usually a shorter bladder can expand more and give more capacity than a longer bladder which expands less (Just be careful not to over stretch the bladder. LRT can expand to around 3 times it's original length, but the further you stretch it, the faster it will wear out.).
Mickej wrote:Can I use something else than the tube on the guide for the pc expansion?
Yes! LRT, mentioned earlier (also mentioned in colossus tips thread on SSC), can be used to colossus the current PC, or construct a new PC.
Mickej wrote:Are there better alternatives?
To...? If you mean to the colossus mod, not really, not with a cylindrical pressure chamber (other than PC replacement with LRT which achieves the same thing, but without cannibalising the original bladder or casing).
SEAL wrote:But as for mods that you can do to it right now, I think Andrew has you covered. One thing I've been thinking about doing with mine is, decommissioning the main valve and connecting the trigger directly to the "flood" valve, while adding JLspacemarine's stream laminator to the riot nozzle.
Linked! :goofy:
Mickej wrote:When I back pack modded my arctic blast, I removed the tank. My arctic blast does leak very much from the pressure relief valve. I am wondering if I should fill it in or if I should put the tank back.
I don't really see why it should be leaking from the PRV, unless you damaged it somehow when removing the reservoir tank. The PRV does let water back into the reservoir if the blaster is over-pressurised, that's normal. Depending on how you connected the backpack, water might be exiting the blaster rather than going back into the backpack? If possible, some pics of the problem would be useful. As I mentioned earlier, you might want to make use of the max-infusion backpack connector. Then you have the best of both worlds (a backpack for extra capacity, or just a reservoir for lightweight assaults).

One last thing, I don't mean to be rude (after all, we all make mistakes), but could you please check your spelling before posting? If necessary use a browser spell check add-on. Speckie is pretty good for the IE browser (I should know, I use it :goofy: ) as it underlines any misspelled words as you type them. All other browsers should have a built in spell checker which may need to be activated. Thanks. :)