Some spray treatment

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
DukeSoakem

Some spray treatment

Post by DukeSoakem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:23 pm

I mentioned in the Hydro Cannon 2500 FF thread I had something related to painting/touching up in the works, here it is.

Basically I had a CPS 1500 that was faded which I plan to sell soon, however not looking in the state it used to be in, so I restored and refreshed it. However as you will see in the article, I used vinyl dye spraypaint, which worked a treat and I much prefer it over the normal spraypaints I have had to use in the past that just coat/cover the item.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Some spray treatment

Post by marauder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Wow. That looks great. I disagree with your assesment of spraypaint cracking and peeling, it just requires a much more extensive processs than just spraying regular spraypaint down on it. But with that being said, if you can just use 1 or 2 coats of vinyl dye spraypaint, rather than sanding, primer, regular spray, and clear protectant... then all the better. I just gotta see how many colors vinyl dye spraypaint comes in.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Nice! I actually like the slightly darker colors better.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

DukeSoakem

Post by DukeSoakem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:44 am

Thanks, glad you like the result.

I think maybe I was a little over the top on normal spraypaint, however being in the UK, back when I used spraypaint the main brands/choices of spraypaint to use I found quite hit and miss, which might be why my opinion is a bit more negative. At that time I really would have liked to have used/get my hands on Krylon Fusion or Dupli Color, however they weren't available over here.

I used just over one coat of the vinyl dye spray which was enough for me. I think personally that is the main advantage of the vinyl dye, for something like this you don't need as many coats and there is a lot less work involved. I think there is a slight less choice of colours, however all the main common ones are available from what I have seen, as well as some more unusal ones.