How the Waterwarriors Colossus Should Have Been Painted

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

How the Waterwarriors Colossus Should Have Been Painted

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Today while I was out in Virgina I stopped at a K-Mart to see if they had the 2012 WW line. Unfortunately they didn't have any Vipers, which were the ones I really wanted, but I did pick up a Firefly 2 pack for $11.99 and a Colossus for $19.99. It was really funny since the Colossus was right next to a bunch of Thunderstorms, also $19.99. Most people made the right choice since there were only 2 Colossus(s) left (1 now), and about 10 Thunderstorms.

Anyway after I got it home and tested it a little, I decided it really needed a new paint job. The one it had had an OK base (actually that's all it had), but it needed more. 15 minutes later I was done and the new design was sick. All I even did was give it some black stripes and one yellow stripe and it really helped the rather boring gun. It makes me wonder why WW didn't do it like that to start with. The stripes are actully made out of duck tape and gaffers tape; I'm pretty good at painting but I didn't have any and I wanted it moded now!

Hopfuly later I will get some paint and give it something more permanent, but gaffers tape is pretty water resistant so it should last till then.
Attachments
How the WW Colosus should have been painted 003 resized.JPG
How the WW Colosus should have been painted 003 resized.JPG (153.86 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
How the WW Colosus should have been painted 002 resized.JPG
How the WW Colosus should have been painted 002 resized.JPG (196.4 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
My Epic Gun
My Epic Gun
How the WW Colosus should have been painted 001 resized.JPG (182.63 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

Nitro123PG

Re: How the Waterwarriors Colossus Should Have Been Painted

Post by Nitro123PG » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Very nice, that looks really cool. Not only does the tape look nice, but it can also protect the guns from being scratched as well since the tape will take the abuse and not the gun. If I pick up a Colossus, I may do the same thing.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:29 am

That's pretty awesome. What do you think of its performance?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:49 am

I'd say it would definitely look a lot better after a paint job is done. As is, the tape ends abruptly and doesn't look that great IMO.

Ditto to M4's question. Compare it with another WW perhaps? (Like the Vindicator, Tiger Shark, or Orca or something.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:07 am

I'm pretty happy with the performance, defiantly worth the 20 bucks I paid for it. The trigger handle would be a little cramped for some one with large hands. It's a little cramped for me, though I rather like it that way, but if my hands were any bigger it wouldn't be.

I haven't actually tested ranges yet, but it goes about as far as my Vindicator, though I doubt it's output is as high. The split nozzle is very nice, really wish my Vin' had this instead of a fan. The split shoots 4 streams that spreed out a little from each other, by the time it hits 40ft though its probably only about 5ft wide, which is good because I'd much rather swing the gun from side to side to get multiple enemies.

The reservoir holds a good amount of water, 85oz says the box, and there about right. One problem is that thanks to the shape of the tank, and the fact that it uses a hose to such up water, some water is always left in the tank. It's not much, maybe 5oz, but it still annoying to here water swishing around and not be able to use it.

The main tank is amazing, has one of the longest shot times I have ever seen on a separate pressure chamber air gun. The one problem with this that thanks to the small pump, it takes a long time to build up pressure. The pump is easy to use, so it's not that big a problem, but it would have been nice to have a larger pump.

Oh yeah and no strap, this is a real bummer on a gun this big. It doesn't need it for say, it's not that heavy, but it would have been nice. It might be possible to attach one through the large opening for the trigger handle though, I will have to experiment with it.

Overall, its a nice gun, might be able to hold its own against the Vindicator, but any classic CPS you'd probably get owned. So unless you want to go for a $50-$100 classic CPS on eBay; this would recommend this gun, it is one of the best air pressure guns I've used and could probably hold its own against just about anything currently being made.
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:11 am

Could you maybe get a video of a test firing?

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:35 pm

I will see, I'm not the best at getting around to things (I have a huge battle on film only half edited, an epic 7 page fictional story that needs to be finished, and many LEGO ideas that need to be built), but maybe if the wind dies down in the next few days I will try some filming, no promises though.

Edit: I will get a full review with range testing, shoot vids, and more details as soon as I can. The last few days have been way too windy, else I would have been out flying my plane! I can say this though, just from watching eyeballing it, at least 40, and it will keep that range for 3-4 seconds. Might be slightly farther when you over pump it.

Mind you the output isn't all that, but the stream doesn't break up as much as on some other guns.

More to come soon! (Probably in new topic)
Last edited by scottthewaterwarrior on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:37 pm

The Colossus should have been painted like this.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:55 pm

And Hasbro should never have bought Larami.

How did you import the picture into a paint thing?
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:02 pm

I drew that using the original picture as a template in MS Paint.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:38 am

martianshark wrote:I drew that using the original picture as a template in MS Paint.
Nicely done sketch!
As for colors, looks too much like a Nerf Super Soaker now.
As for the re-styled Colossus that's at the start of this thread, neat stuff! Even looks like a bee/wasp!
Of course, can't make a reservoir with stripes like that easily and additional paint or stickers would push up pricing. Then there's the fact that while many of us like it, there will also be many who just aren't into certain color schemes.
IMO, the simpler the base color layering is, the easier it becomes for those who want to personalize their blasters.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:10 am

I do like the Nerf color scheme as presented by MartianShark. I don't find the current colors unnatractive, but they aren't the best either. I think it'd look sweet steampunked.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am

Or in CPS 2000 livery.

Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:50 pm

That should be purple. Duh. I really dig the 1500 paint scheme- I might put one up with that this weekend. It would be fun to do paint sceme contests, with the winner recieving a blaster painted that way.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Beware the Purple

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:04 pm

isoaker wrote:
martianshark wrote:I drew that using the original picture as a template in MS Paint.
Nicely done sketch!
As for colors, looks too much like a Nerf Super Soaker now.
As for the re-styled Colossus that's at the start of this thread, neat stuff! Even looks like a bee/wasp!
Of course, can't make a reservoir with stripes like that easily and additional paint or stickers would push up pricing. Then there's the fact that while many of us like it, there will also be many who just aren't into certain color schemes.
IMO, the simpler the base color layering is, the easier it becomes for those who want to personalize their blasters.

:cool:
Hmm, guess your right it would drive up prices a bit, maybe that is why they are normally cheaper then NSS for similar sized guns. Though how much would including a sticker sheet that you had to apply yourself be? That way, you could make the gun look better any way you want.

Sort of the place I am going with this is that I don't really care too much what a gun looks like so long as it performs well, but the average consumer doesn't go look up stats on isc (that's the right acronym right? I haven't used it before), they buy the gun based on looks. I think WW would do better in the market by improving the styling of their guns. Mind you, they don't even need to do something like I did (though some of there older models had parts that I'm sure were painted), martianshark and wetmonkey442 had some nice concept art that could be achieved without paint.

Although there guns don't look as good, I still think NSS will not sell as good as it did in past years, most the stuff they have now isn't really new ideas and at least some of the people who bought there guns last year will realize what they are, $20 squirt guns, and look at other brands.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 am

atvan wrote:That should be purple. Duh. I really dig the 1500 paint scheme- I might put one up with that this weekend. It would be fun to do paint sceme contests, with the winner recieving a blaster painted that way.
I'm all for having a panting contest, award goes to the best painted gun by the end of the season (Oct 31?) and the award can be like $15 gift certificate to Ace Hardware/Lowes/McMaster whatever.

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:04 pm

That would be cool too. What I said was more of a joke where there would be a contest to come up with the best color scheme of a certain gun, putting it up like matianshark and wetmonkey did, with the winner recieving a gun painted as pictured. I did not intend it to be serious.
Beware the Purple