Max-D 5000 modification questions

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
darthrambo

Max-D 5000 modification questions

Post by darthrambo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Hey I just picked one of these up thrifting and was planning on turning it into a glitter gun for my sister for xmas.

Before I bastardize this thing I just wanted to make sure I wasn't destroying something rare or valuable. (though I doubt it is)

Also I don't have much experience modding pressure systems (I'm mainly a nerfer that does springers and flywheel motorized guns)

The only thing i really know to do is to plug the blow-off valve (forgive me if this isn't the correct terminology).

Is there anything else I should do to increase the power?

Also I plan to add a cpvc barrel to the front with a glitter reservoir coming off of it. The Bernoulli principal should cause enough low pressure in the barrel to suck some glitter up into the air stream. (This is the same way that air brushes work and would be set up in pretty much the same way)

If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for any help and thanks for indulging me, I know shooting glitter isn't really what this site is for.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Max-D 5000 questions

Post by HBWW » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:26 pm

I have a broken 5000 and I really don't find it to be anything special. However, there's not really any performance mods you can do for it other than, perhaps, a small nozzle increase. (For shooting water.) For shooting glitter, I suppose you're simply attaching CPVC to the nozzle.

Modding water guns often tends to be easier than Nerf if only because there are a lot fewer things that you can do with them. Very rarely will a water gun mod involve grinding or cutting up plastic. Also, in place of hot glue that Nerfers use, we use epoxy or epoxy putty which creates reliable watertight seals and are supposed to be strong enough to hold pressure as well. (I've had varying experiences with this however.)

We call it a pressure relief valve. Air powered Nerf blasters have the same thing too. In fact, there are a lot of similar parts between the two; for example, I managed to repair the broken check valve on my Air Tek 2000's pump by switching out the pump shaft for the one on my broken Max-D 5000. It works quite nicely now. However, removing the pressure relief valve won't do much good to performance and the fact that everything will break faster is usually to a far higher degree than any performance gains you may see.

Anyway, it seems that all you have to do is put the CPVC barrel on. However, the MD5000 isn't very practical for this; the large chamber is designed for shooting water as opposed to air, and it will require an unnecessary amount of pumps to achieve a certain pressure level.

Edit: Made some changes since I didn't read the OP correctly first time.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

darthrambo

Post by darthrambo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:46 pm

cool,
Nefers usually call it OPV for over pressure valve.

Yeah I did notice that with the big water tank used as the pressure chamber, sealing the OPV isn't necessary at all. While it does take alot of pumps to reach a high psi, the large tank and the small nozzle allow for a really good constant stream of air for a long period of time.

In the end I think I'm actually going to just leave the internals stock and just add a cpvc coupler with joint connected to a glitter hopper.

Oh I use epoxy too, and a plastic welder sometimes. I try to avoid hot glue unless its for something that I don't need a good hold on like holding wires in place or something.

Thanks for your input

darthrambo

Post by darthrambo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:48 pm

One more question for you guys:

Do you think it might be a good idea to use some tire foam or something in the water/pressure chamber so it take less pumps to get good pressure?

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Nah, would reduce shot time too much. Btw, the PRV/OPV is in the pump, just like nerf guns.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

darthrambo

Re: Max-D 5000 modification questions

Post by darthrambo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:59 pm

The shot time is excessive as is. Getting good pressure with no water in the tank takes like 100 pumps. 150 pumps and the OPV still isn't going off. Keep in mind that air compresses in volume with pressure while water doesn't.

martianshark

Re: Max-D 5000 modification questions

Post by martianshark » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:42 pm

I don't see why not. This is a pretty cool idea by the way. Foam might not work so well though. You might want to try a different material.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.