Super Soaker Hydro Cannon Modification

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
GJIV

Re: Super Soaker Hydro Cannon Modification

Post by GJIV » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Definately NOT! I have compared both bladders, so I know what I am talking about: The Mk1 bladder is softer and expands there more. If you cut off the Mk2 bladder you will only get less PC volume, so just useless.

And here we get the 250 ml more PC volume. SInce the Mk1 bladder do expand more, there is more useable space in the PC casing. The Mk2 bladder expands not as much as the mk1, therefore you need more "base-bladder-lengh" to get the same PC, but the "base-lengh" needs space. And talking of the CPS 2000 Mk1 and mk2 this is the reason for the 250 ml PC volume difference. The MK1 bladder is even a bit SHORTER but expands MORE :)

But keep in mind that 250 ml is not much, so the difference is a short laugh :D

Furthermore we have to consider following thing: If we want a big stream with best range(50+) we will need two things :

Pressure and volume

The Mk1 bladder do contract faster than any other bladders, only this way we get a strong and steady stream with 50 + range. When we open the firing valve and we loose pressure, the bladder's contraction is there to keep the pressure stable. But the bigger the output/s the faster the bladder must expand to keep up the range. Speaking of the CPS 2000 ' nozzle we have a stream size where the mk2 bladder contracts just a bit too slow, other than the mk1, which expands just fast enough.

Therefore, using the BIG BALL VALVE of the HC, it is BETTER to use the mk1 bladder than the Mk2, since the mk1 contracts faster, which ends up in a great recoil and powerful stream :)

Hope you can follow me, not easy to transform one's thoughts into a text :D

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi great membership.

I have just made a big VIDEO of my modded hydro Cannon! It would be great if you could watch it, subscribe on youtube and tell me what you think of it :D

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zmu03nBME4

Enjoy... :goofy:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Not a fan of the music, haha. Nice vid and mods though. I'd still have to recommend some sort of nozzle, but it seems to get close to 2000 performance as is.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:11 pm

The problem is, this isn't really a hydro cannon anymore. You can't really modify the thing using only parts from it. You have to have a spare bladder in order for the HC to be worthwhile.

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:21 pm

This is quite right, but usually you always need some additional materials when modifying a blaster. May the original bladder would expand well, when removed from casing but I wanted to save the whole thing. This way I can also reconstruct the original in less than an hour.

But this was not the main reason why I added a CPS 2k Mk1 bladder and removed the original one. I want to build up kind of hydroblitz and this should be the "burst" PC , also the 2k mk1 bladder seems to be the perfect bladder for this job^^

@ CA99 It is VERY difficult to find a music that fits together with such a video^^ Took me hours till I have chosen this music :goofy:

I will put on further videos, of CPS 1000, CPS 1500(modded version), CPS 3200, Hydroblitz and my two CPHs soon :)

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:30 pm

You can just get LRT or try balloons if you don't have an extra bladder to give up for it; its not that hard to do so.

I guess we just have different tastes in music lol. And I'll leave it at that.

If you can film some wars, that be cool too. Not a lot of wars get filmed, though I'll be looking into doing so myself for this summer. (Need to plug in a digital camera to a power source or get a webcam, and put it over a window as a "security camera" type of setup.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

thelaminator
Location: By the time you've read this, It's likely changed again

Post by thelaminator » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:42 am

soakernerd wrote:so would it be possible to cut off the end of the bladder and turn a mk2 into a mk 1?
well, yes and no. if you were to cut the bladder to the point where it would make a significant difference in power, the overall volume would decrease (due to the smaller bladder), thus little improvement would be made.

example: say you cut the bladder so it could push the water out faster, which takes ~7 oz. off the total volume. now you still only have 23 oz. coming out the nozzle, so little improvement was made over it's original 20x nozzle.
[This account has been abandoned. Posts made by this account do not reflect the current views of the original account owner.]
[This account has not been terminated, for archival reasons.]

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 am

The point of cutting the back of the bladder is to allow it to expand more.

Teddan

Post by Teddan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Greetings from Sweden.

I am new here and just bought myself a Hydro Cannon, 2 Thunderstorms and 1 Tornado Strike.

Alot of what has been mentioned in this thread is interesting and the parts I do not have. But I am thinking of a backpack with a quick connect to the factory
reservoir. This I think I can handle. But what about removing the pump and adding an external compressed air canister? Has anyone done this? Is it possible and what is the max PSI before this burst?

/Tedd

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:47 pm

That's not going to do anything for pretty much any blaster, and if you're going to do something like that, you should probably build a homemade entirely for that.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Teddan wrote: But what about removing the pump and adding an external compressed air canister?

The pump in a Hydro Cannon moves water, not air, so this idea would not work. What would be intriguing would be to see someone replace the Hydro Cannon's pump with a larger, more robust system that allows full pressurization with fewer strokes. As it is now, the HC requires ~20 pumps to fully pressurize, which is pretty funny when you think about how the small the total output is. And by funny I mean lame. And by lame I mean very sad and unfortunate. But not without potential!

I have to say, I am loving the Hydro Cannon the more and more I use it. Sure, it might not stack up against better, older blasters, but I think it has a ton of promise, especially when compared to the rest of Garbage-Fest 2011. I look forward to whatever modifications you perform on this blaster!
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Well ,this is the only thing I am disappointed now after so much mods. The 20 ml/ stroke means that yoiu have to pump it about 50 times for a full blast on my HC.... I drilled out the intake tube to the maximum( if the pipe is getting thinner, it will break off I think) to improve the flow when you "suck" the water into the pump. THis way you can pump twice as fast as usual with less power(and mine has to suck the water from the backpack^^). But the weak pump volume makes this blaster a bit kamikaze-like gun. After the blast you need much time to pump 50 times, which means someone has t run and flee. YOu cannot compet with a gun like the CPS 2500, for sure not, but just because of the lame ml / stroke.

I will replace the pump and get a volume of 80 ml or so, but at the moment I am doing other things and the time is not enough to do this at the moment :) May on the weekend :D But I will let you know when I made another improvement^^

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:52 pm

@GJIV: My main thought after reading all this and seeing the achievements so far is for you to consider formalizing the various modifications you've made into articles for the wiki! Don't worry too much about perfect English spelling or grammar; those can be fixed. You still speak better English than I can speak German! *hah*

Anyhow, just a thought to consider!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:44 pm

isoaker wrote:@GJIV: My main thought after reading all this and seeing the achievements so far is for you to consider formalizing the various modifications you've made into articles for the wiki!
You seem to read my thoughts^^ I was also thinking about this since I do modify so much and my work is really great! People should have a guide so they can do this too ! You can make such a beast out of a XP 310...o well ! If there is some more free-time I will go and add some articles to the wiki ! Promised :D
isoaker wrote:@GJIV: You still speak better English than I can speak German! *hah*

Hm I do not know how much you know about the german language and how well you can speak this^^ As those "bad language-words" are not really in my word-case they do not count here^^ Have a try, tell me/write something useful in german language ! :cps3000:

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 pm

After a long time of doing nothing here, and also after a long time of thinking and testing I will do one of two possible things now at my HC:

Install a big, own reservoir, so about 3-5 litres volume

or/and

install a better pump with a big pump volume of 30-50 ml/stroke.

Latest might be difficult as there is not much space left in there, but I think I am able to put something in here.
Main problem is that the weak and thin pump archives quite much force to suck water from a backpack ( just compare the CPS 3000 and the CPS 2500 in terms of pumping), especially as the pump is not that big but but long. I have improved pumping a lot by drilling out all the pipes to maximum(so maximum of water flow is archieved) without killing the first check-valve. Also I reduced the hose till it meets the backpack connector to its minimum.
Nevertheless this could just work a bit better in the end :D What cannot be improved in the end ? ;D

Just thinking about this... It works very good now, but a onboard reservoir or at least a bigger pump would accelerate refilling the PC quite much^^ It fires out a big ammount of water( over 1 litre ) but after emptying the PC, every second is countable as the enemies will not wait but attack. THe faster it is ready to fire at least a good shot the saver the user can go in a fight :)

What do you guys think ? I will add a picture and a new video here, which shows the HC in its conditions NOW. Just to make clear, the video on youtube takes care of the HC, when it got the first modification of the PC. At this time I had a PC volume of just around 700-750 ml, which was expanded later, at the next wave of modification. In terms of PC volume the gun was complet after a view steps, video is not showing its full strength. Haha, and I was looking for the reasons, why the HC in the video was not what came out in the end :D

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 am

Wow, I just saw this thread. I think you are the best modder out there GJIV. What is the range on this gun? I still think your 1500 is the best mod ever.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:06 am

Range is improved too, it can now beat with a CPS 1500. Firing such a big and large burst imrpoves the possibility of hitting the enemy at greater distance as there is not a thin stream coming(although a 10 X:: belongs to bigger sizes) but a big burst of water coming over with great velocity, just like the flash flood(with better range, more power and definately more water)

Quite right here, my CPS 1500 may be one of the best modifications down ever...although I like my HC more, the more I use it^^

djskype

Post by djskype » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:52 pm

DO you have instruction anyplace on how to do this? i want to make a backpack i can fill with water so i dont have to refuel as often. i see some of your pics on the finished product.

djskype@gmail.com

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:26 pm

GJIV is not known for documenting his mods, and to be honest, a HydroCannon is a lot to work on if this is your first mod (depending on how much you want to do. If you're handy with tools though, it's worth a shot.

Unfortunately, our community doesn't have good documentation in general. The usual procedure for a backpack however, is not that complicated if you know the basics of how water blasters work. What Ben and I usually do is grab a solar shower (or camp shower), which holds about 5 gallons and can be stuffed into a backpack. I then connect the tubes to barbs (which can be found at a plumbing store), which eventually leads to the blaster. If you connect the tube directly to the reservoir, you'll need something to seal it properly (perhaps by connecting a barb to the reservoir itself), but it seems that having no onboard reservoir works better. That case is much easier; just remove the reservoir and stack tubes to connect them easily. You may want to use duct tape and a cable tie to hold the connection. I've gotten such connections to even work under pressure, but I don't recommend it.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:34 pm

djskype wrote:DO you have instruction anyplace on how to do this? i want to make a backpack i can fill with water so i dont have to refuel as often. i see some of your pics on the finished product.

djskype@gmail.com
This is not exactly the same thing as what GJIV did, but it may be what you are looking for -
http://dukesoakem.com/hydrocannon2500.html
and
http://dukesoakem.com/hydrocannon2500ff.html
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.