Completed: Flash Flood / Monster X Hybrid

For questions, articles, and discussions regarding water blaster modifications.
Silence

Re: Completed: Flash Flood / Monster X Hybrid

Post by Silence » Sat May 09, 2009 9:29 am

I think McMaster-Carr will ship throughout North America because of NAFTA, so bulk ordering isn't necessary. And you definitely won't need more than several inches of tubing, although getting some extra is advisable.

There have been a couple co-ops before, and some plans for a more formal system, but they fell through. I believe Ben eventually found an international shipper for small segments of LRT, plus you can always forward packages from McMaster-Carr.

Teh Moron

Post by Teh Moron » Sat May 09, 2009 10:31 am

No, they don't ship to Canada. And don't get me started on NAFTA, it has hurt Canada far more than it has benefited it.

I would buy a flash flood, but after modding it, it is likely the trigger would break on me.
Image[/

RabidRat

Post by RabidRat » Sat May 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Silence wrote:I think McMaster-Carr will ship throughout North America because of NAFTA, so bulk ordering isn't necessary. And you definitely won't need more than several inches of tubing, although getting some extra is advisable.

There have been a couple co-ops before, and some plans for a more formal system, but they fell through. I believe Ben eventually found an international shipper for small segments of LRT, plus you can always forward packages from McMaster-Carr.
I read somewhere on here that McMaster-Carr would only sell in bulk, that you had to buy a good $40 of tubing at once. I can believe that, because it really doesn't make a lot of sense for them to have to go to all the trouble to sell us a couple feet of tubing at a time when most of their customers are probably labs and industrial complexes that need a lot at once. Maybe not though, I haven't looked into it personally.

Getting the stuff into Canada usually isn't the concern, it's the shipping costs that quadruple just for it to go over the border, which is why I'm frequently picking stuff up in Washington and bringing it back over myself.

So what do you guys think, should I transplant the pull trigger from the Monster X into the FF? =)
FF X
a flash flood / monster X hybrid build

Teh Moron

Post by Teh Moron » Sat May 09, 2009 4:24 pm

It is likely that not much good would come of it, and transplanting a trigger is difficult due to lack of standardization between the internal tubing of CPS and newer lines.

Don't do it, convert the MXD trigger to a spring operated trigger, but that's about it.
Image[/

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 09, 2009 7:22 pm

No, you can get as little as one foot (30 centimeters) of latex rubber tubing at a dollar or so per foot (depending on the size, of course). If you're outside North America you'll have to order from a manufacturer or wholesaler.

It would be easier to mod the Flash Flood's trigger mechanism than to mutilate the one from the Monster X (which is a more valuable water gun, too). If you did the latter you might need to transfer a whole bunch of pieces: the trigger, the wire, the lever that pulls the valve's pin, and the valve itself (because the Monster X uses a pull valve and a lever, while the Flash Flood uses a ball valve). In contrast, disabling the Max-D mechanism should be fairly easy.